Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 1:47:30 PM EDT
Well, I'll be taking the plunge soon... I know most of you will want to skip this post, but i really do want to know from your guy's vast experience which AR you prefer.

If you could take one moment to respond I'd appreciate it!!

Which would you recommend over the others? Armalite, Bushmaster, or Colt? (If you could let me know why it'd also help)

Thanks!

Shawn
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a Colt SP1, and am fairly happy with it.  I've also shot Bushmasters, including one converted to full auto with a DIAS, and have had no problems with them.  I've never dealt with Armalite, but would like to buy an AR50 before years end since it appears they plan on cracking down on them.

If you're going for post-ban, I'd personally go Bushmaster or Armalite.  I'd stay away from Colt's recent stuff, simply because of their politics.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
bushmaster best bang for the buck!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't go wrong with either Armalite or Bushmaster.  Just go somewhere where you can check them out for yourself, side by side if possible. Then choose whichever one seems to be the best deal to you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
All three are "top of the line", so you really can't go wrong. I really like Colt the best - but I will admit that you will get better customer service with Bushmaster. Armalite makes a great rifle, but I think that they are overpriced (Colt is too, actually).

Of the three, I would go with Bushmaster.

Have you considered Rock River Arms or the LEGP?
The quality of my #73 LEGP is second to none.

Best of luck to you in your purchase!

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with Rock River.   Best quality for the money...or at the same price.  More accurate too!

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
get a bushie. If you buy a colt, your paying for the little horsie emblem on the side of the gun and nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
i have the 16inch carbine bushmaster with the wilson combat fix muzzle brake on the tube and a rock river trigger group in it, great shooting weapon. and have a colt 20inch hbar plain-jane for cmp shoots, and very accurate likewise. love them both, looking to get a preban in either brand next.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I have owned Colt, Bushmaster and now Rock River Arms.

Colt is too PC these days and their quality is suffering.

Bushmaster is top-notch....you can't go wrong with them...I shoot an A3 Dissipator w/ Trijicon Reflex II on top and it is flawless in every respect.

The M4 currently being offered as the LEGP (Limited Edition Group Purchase) is also a top of the line weapon.

Asthetics, quality and overall attention to detail beat Colt hands down and equal or exceed in most areas my Bushmaster.

The RRA carbine is an excellent weapon and for $660 you can still afford other goodies for it.

Armalite is great if you are looking for a competetion rifle.  they are very well made and have very good reputations.

I'd go with the RRA M4 LEGP while you still have a chance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Bushmaster. Best value, chrome lined barrel, mil-spec pins (including front push pin), accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt.

[(:|)]artbell[(:|)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
AAAaaahhh!! too many opinions!!! I like the looks of the LEGP, but i want the iron sights on her....

Thanks for the responses so far!!

Shawn
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushmaster!
The "Snake"...

What's the firearms' main purpose?
The answer will help you determine the shape.  That's form follows function, isn't it?

Personally, I like the A3 Dissipator with the TeleStyle buttstock and the A2 sight handle/front sight set-up.  No compensator on the end, either.
Add the Hogue grip and the Redi-Mag extra mag holder.
Keep the standard forend for ease of maintenance or get the Hogue forend for a free floating bbl.

Have fun, and look at the catalog or website for Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a few of em..
More over I run lots of rounds through em.
Like em all.
just like a woman some do things other said they would!
Don't be shy get one use it find what it can and cant do for you and fill the gap with another.
You can't miss fast enough!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Armalite!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll take one of each please.  I'll e-mail you my address.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#18]
colt. if you want quality...just fit and finish alone is enough reason to buy colt. trust me. ive owned all of the brands you mentioned.

someone advised you to "stay away from colt's recent stuff, simply because of their politics"
is the dumbest thing ive ever heard of. dont listen to idiots.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

someone advised you to "stay away from colt's recent stuff, simply because of their politics"
View Quote

Do you also buy Slick & Weasel????

Buying a companys product is in their mind tacit approval of their policies. Which I am NOT in approval of Colt's policies.

And I buy accordingly.

And IMO, COlt's quality is NOT measurably better than other manufacturers. IMO RRA and Armalite both AT LEAST equal Colt.  So, to make my decision, I then look at price and politics.

Both of those lead me away from Colt.

Don't take this as an assualt on your manhood. Just an opinion that is not especially flattering of Colt. Your mileage may vary.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm happy with my Bushmaster A3 flat top.

Had a problem with it out of the box but Bushmaster helped me remedy the problem quickly.

Shoots nice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I built up a DPMS lower with DPMS parts.  I've got a Busmaster upper on order, 20".  I think DPMS receiver quality is = to any of the above mentioned manufactors.  I don't like their barrels, they are not chrome lined.  If you're going to buy a complete rifle, then I would definitly stick with Bushmaster, Colt, or Armalite.  If you're going to build one, use either Bushmaster or DPMS stuff for the lower & either a Bushmaster or Armalite upper.  Colt uppers are way overpriced.  This is just my .02.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
colt. if you want quality...just fit and finish alone is enough reason to buy colt. trust me. ive owned all of the brands you mentioned.

View Quote

[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif[/img][img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif[/img][img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sorry if you do not like my belief in not supporting companies that are anti-RKBA for citizens.  I may own a Colt and a S&W pistol, but I sure didn't pay a Colt or S&W authorized dealer for them.  That's the beauty of private transfers.

Secondly, according to Colt, they don't even manufacture weapons for civilians anymore.  I think that says a lot about how they feel towards gun owners.

For my money, the only post bans to own are Bushmaster and Armalite, and of course a LEGP from RRA.  For pre-bans, any mil-spec non-select-fire will do.  But I certainly won't endorse Colt's uncaring attitude towards the American civilian with my hard earned money.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Decide on what configuration you want to start out with, and then find the best deal among those you mentioned.  I don't think you can do wrong among the 3 makers you mentioned.  Though there are differences, they all go bang when you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#25]
shawn, you CAN get the romovable a2 carry handle with the legp m4. i did, and i rate the legp as reliable as any other ar i own. the machining and assembly are as good as it comes. rock river really puts out a detailed product. with ONE DAY left to order, i suggest you email grin or anti before the ship sails.

i own a couple of armalites. these are VERY nicely built rifles and offer a lifetime warranty. in a post-ban, i think they are one of the best built ar's available.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there are other companies out there currently manufacturing rifles that meet or exceed Colt's level of quality WHY buy a COLT?
 Colt bent over for the Politicaly Correct anti-gun nazi's!

A consumer can "speak" with their wallet as well as their mouth. The wallet is usually more effective in a free market economy! Look what happened to S&W.  I hate to see it, I love there wheel guns but when a person/corporation makes a CHOICE , that person should anticipate the consequences of their actions & then take responsibilty for the choice made!!

Would you buy a new car from Bill Clinton?

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok, I am going to ask a very silly question, although a very innocent one, still might sound silly, but go easy on me, I am still a cherry on this board.

What is RKBA?

I keep seeing it but have been too timid to ask.  So now I ask?
[8)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#28]
yo, pakrat, check out the ak side of the board.

right to keep and bear arms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
like i said, don't listen to idiots. they have spoken.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do you also buy Slick & Weasel????

Buying a companys product is in their mind tacit approval of their policies. Which I am NOT in approval of Colt's policies.

And I buy accordingly.

And IMO, COlt's quality is NOT measurably better than other manufacturers. IMO RRA and Armalite both AT LEAST equal Colt.  So, to make my decision, I then look at price and politics.

Both of those lead me away from Colt.

Don't take this as an assualt on your manhood. Just an opinion that is not especially flattering of Colt. Your mileage may vary.
View Quote

What Garandman said.  With knobs on it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Bushmaster and Armalite will go the extra mile to satisfy your needs as a customer.

Back in 99 I called to inquire about some parts, and was told they had a large backorder, but ordered them nonetheless.They both were right on time with their time estimates and I would say they are top notch. JT is also great on stuff.

ARSwami
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#32]
If its not an Armalite, Its plain old crappy junk made out of melted down beer cans by some kids in Kathie Lee's sweatshop. And further more........Uh Oh!Where's my flameproof suit? It was right here! OH MY GOD!! WAIT! GUYS! I didnt mean it! It wasnt me! My evil twin took over for a minute..........AAAAHHHH!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't be so hard on yourself....
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#34]
see? this guy (spectre) above leads the idiot pack.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bushmaster. Best value, chrome lined barrel, mil-spec pins (including front push pin), accurate and reliable.
View Quote

Agreed.

I have owned 2 Armalite post ban rifles that I have had problems with. Won't purchase another...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
see? this guy (spectre) above leads the idiot pack.
View Quote

You waited over two weeks to say that.  Man, I'm impressed.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't spoken on this yet, so by your definition, I cannot be an idiot. So just because YOU say Colt is best, everyone should just agree and bow to your greatness and accept that nobody but Colt knows how to build an AR15?
Who's the idiot here?

That being said, I've been shooting AR's since back when Colt was the only manufacturer. I've had many over the years, and between Bushmaster, Armalite, and others, it really is mostly a Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi thing. Colt sold out to the anti gunners like S&W, thereby taking their name out of consideration as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, I have shot recent Colts and they are NOT superior. Period. The older ones were pretty nice, but if you want one of those now, be prepared to pay twice what it is really worth, simply because of the "little horsie gee-whiz" factor. They were nice, but not superior or inferior. Current Colts are not junk either, they just pissed a lot of us off when they sold out. I have been told by some of the "idiots" here that Colt quality has suffered some lately, but I can't comment since I haven't shot or handled any really recent ones.

Between RRA, Bushmaster, and Armalite, I would go with Bushmaster and that in no way is a reflection on the quality of the other two. All three are top rate, but Armalites are a little more expensive, and RRA does not have a chrome bore. The chrome bore is not an issue on a target gun, but most owners have an eye on the possibility that they may have to rely on the gun to stay alive some day. In that situation, I'd want a chrome bore and chamber. I have an LEGP and I can honestly say I've never seen a better built AR, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it is the "best". "Best" is a hard thing to nail down since there are so many variables involved including your intended usage.

OK, now I'm an idiot too!
At least I can use capital letters though...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Man you got all the info from everybody. I own an Arm. NM Shoots great. I own a Snake 16 that is a solid rifle too.  The 2 stage trigger gives the armalite the shooting advantage.  Some people are hot on chrome lined barrels, I don't blast away so SS is my choice. Note: a great many prcision built AR's are built on Bushmaster lowers and upper parts.  Snakes are more for the buck, but you can't beat my Armalite.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Why not rent out one of each and decide for yourself which one you truly desire. That will also save us all from this sparked penis measuring contest.

Personally, I don't care much for current production post-ban Colts. I do, however, find that Pre-ban Colts are more than adequate for me, and that's what I prefer. Are you in the market for pre or post ban? That would help a lot. Can't go wrong with a bushy or armalite either. Find which one your heart calls out to and if money is not a factor then buy whatever the hell you damn please. It's not like you're buying a car here.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Real men go for the bush
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Real men go for the bush(master)
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#42]
An AR is an AR.  I agree with what the one guy said about Colt and there specs.  I have had a Colt SP-1 & 6601 target, Bushmaster XM15, Olympic Arms 1995 model?(Not todays type Oly) and they all shot just fine.  I now have and use a Esential Arms lower with a Bushmaster Upper and it is just as good as any I have owned or shot in the past.  Find one for the right price.  Rock River, CAV etc. and do not rule out a used one.  Good luck....
[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#43]
You "Need" one of each.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#44]
If it's not a Colt it's just a copy!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If it's not a Colt it's just a copy!
View Quote

Even if it IS a Colt, it's just a copy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top