Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 12:42:03 PM EDT
I bought an Oly AR second hand back in 1993. I had never attempted to swap its upper with another until this spring. I quickly found that none of my other uppers would close on the Oly lower. After a quick conversation with Tom from Oly, I sent the lower in, offering to pay for any work that was needed up to and including the replacement of the lower. Well, Olympic replaced the lower and charged me not a dime!! They were told that I was not the original owner, and the rifle was functional with its original upper. Now, the original upper has some slop, easily cured with an accu-wedge, and my other uppers fit perfectly!!  
Many thanks to Tom and Dave at Olympic Arms!!! I can definately say they stand firmly behind their products!!!!

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm confused.  They don't charge you, but I've read several cases where they charged for warranty service and many more where they were intolerably rude.  I couldn't even get them to help with out of spec parts in a brand new parts kit I bought from them.  That, and they were incredibly short with me, even when I was placing the order.  I think short is the exact word to use.  They weren't openly rude, but I could tell they wanted to get off of the phone as fast as possible.

Is your post for real or is it a plant?  Any opinions?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've called Olympic several times with various questions. I've had nothing but friendly and polite service. I can't speak to sending them anything for repair however.

I told this to a friend of mine who's also dealt with them, and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said one of the guys there was cool, but the other was pretty rude. Can't remember their names though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Zoom - my post is 100% fact. I wasn't even seeking warranty service - I was willing to PAY to have the problem corrected, since I was not the original owner. They just replaced it, no problem. It did take a few weeks, but they had to make a lower with the same serial number. I sure ain't gonna complain about that!!!  Keep in mind, this is a pre-ban rifle.

Edited because apparently I can't type OR spell.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice to finally hear a good review of the Oly Arms staff and their professionalism.

It sure has been a long dry spell between posts like this, lets hope they continue to do the right thing.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Gus, sorry, I didn't mean to be that negative.  I let my frustration with them turn into an attack on you.  I simply posted what I did to see what others thought.  Since several others had something positive to say, I'm going to try dealing with them again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had nothing but good experience with them too.
They've done work on two rifles that I just plain wore out, and one that [b]I[/b] FUBAR I shot out the barrel, deformed the upper's threads, index slot, etc. (to much FA, & not enough "cool down" time).
I wasn't the original owner of any of them (& told them so), but they rebuilt ALL of them at NC! I'm not going to bitch about them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...and many more where they were intolerably rude.  I couldn't even get them to help with out of spec parts in a brand new parts kit I bought from them.  That, and they were incredibly short with me, even when I was placing the order.  I think short is the exact word to use.  They weren't openly rude, but I could tell they wanted to get off of the phone as fast as possible.
View Quote

I've placed 3 orders with them and two of them were screwed up.  Both times it was their mistake, the invoice was correct but what was shipped was wrong. Both of those return calls were handled rudely.  It was insisted that they have the wrong items back before they would send out the correct item (even though they had my c.c. on file).  No return s/h charges were reimbursed, the one barrel took 5 weeks to get after they already the mistake barrel back.  I e-mailed on the 3rd week about when/if it'd been shipped and it was handled rudely as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s is good to hear that most of you have had good experience with Oly.

I can’t say the same.

I had an Oly 9mm upper for my AR. One day at the range the firing pin stuck and the gun went full auto. The gun fired seven rounds without stopping. On the seventh round, the bolt blew apart.

I sent it back to Oly and waited and waited and waited.  

[size=6]One Year[/size=6] later, I got the gun back. What did they do? Replace the 9mm bolt? No. They put the bolt back together and sent it back. Why it took a year? I don’t know.

Did they charge me? No, but I would have preferred that they just put a new bolt, tested it, and sent it back in 2 weeks rather than 52.

Needless to say, now I would rather deal with BM, DMPS, and/or Armalite.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top