Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2006 3:00:40 PM EDT
Been seeing this girl for about a month now, and we've hit it off pretty big.  I'm 29 and have been in some serious relationships, and this one is by far the most potential.  Now on to my dilema.  Her birthday was on Easter ( she is away in Italy for the holidays with familiy) and I want to get her something.  We aregoing to Puerto Rico in three weeks, and that is pretty much split 50-50.  Do you guys think that a item of jewlery is too much too soon?  How much would you spend?  No gun related gifts yet

Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
only a month thats a tough one, bad luck only knowing her for a month before the birthday...  I would take her out for a special dinner and get her some flowers, if you really think their is potential buy her some diamond earrings cost you about 200 bucks but will impress her.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not kidding when I say to please listen carefully:  Do not ever try to buy a woman's affection with gifts.

It will literally have the opposite effect on her = make her feel LESS attracted to you.

It's too soon for you to be gifting her.  The very best "gift" you can give her at this point in the realtionship is YOU.

My suggestion is to not buy her anything at this point.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Add:  if you HAVE to get her someting, get her a SINGLE red rose.

One.  Not a dozen.

Trust me it will have a greater effect than a dozen.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not kidding when I say to please listen carefully:  Do not ever try to buy a woman's affection with gifts.

It will literally have the opposite effect on her = make her feel LESS attracted to you.

It's too soon for you to be gifting her.  The very best "gift" you can give her at this point in the realtionship is YOU.

My suggestion is to not buy her anything at this point.  

CMOS

I'm thinking  a nice dinner and flowers?  Gotta do something nice...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Get her something useful for your trip.  Not something too personal -- don't get her a new bikini but do get her new luggage or something like that.  

Or you can always get her a gift certificate to one of those hair removal places.  Just to see how she responds.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]

I like the special dinner and flowers idea.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
might as well just get her an American Express and get it over with

realistically, get her a day at the spa coupon or something like that
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get her something useful for your trip.  Not something too personal -- don't get her a new bikini but do get her new luggage or something like that.  

Or you can always get her a gift certificate to one of those hair removal places.  Just to see how she responds.  

Already did the dozen roses thing already, and she handed me the Victoria's Secret catalog a few times already so I can pick out outfits that I like, so I think the bikini would be no dice, plus she probably has a million already living in Miami Beach
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
An apron and some cookie dough maybe?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

One.  Not a dozen.

CMOS

Exactly.  It says "I was thinking about you" without saying "Look at me!!! I can blow $50 on a dozen roses that will die in a few days!!!"
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Been seeing this girl for about a month now, and we've hit it off pretty big.  I'm 29 and have been in some serious relationships, and this one is by far the most potential.  Now on to my dilema.  Her birthday was on Easter ( she is away in Italy for the holidays with familiy) and I want to get her something.  We aregoing to Puerto Rico in three weeks, and that is pretty much split 50-50.  Do you guys think that a item of jewlery is too much too soon?  How much would you spend?  No gun related gifts yet

Thanks...

Jewlery is a bit much, especially since you two have been dating for only a month. Think more Bath & Body, or some candles. Have a sister, mom, or chick friend? Get them to help you make her a gift basket, with a couple of candles, some bath goodies, and maybe one of those soap puff thingies, that chicks use. Maybe add a couple packs of her favorite tea and a mug. I have yet to meet a woman who doesnt get all warm and squishy, when I gave her something like this. First, it shows that you can be creative. Second, that you are willing to take the time to make something like that, for her. Third, and most important, you can get away with making something like that for under $30....
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already did the dozen roses thing already, and she handed me the Victoria's Secret catalog a few times already so I can pick out outfits that I like, so I think the bikini would be no dice, plus she probably has a million already living in Miami Beach

Well there is your answer.  Or better yet take her to the store to try stuff on  Make a day of it.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude, you have been dating her for a month, get her a massage and some flowers... In fact, fuck that, go with the dinner idea. Better yet, cook her dinner, give her some of those $3.99 weeds they sell at the Supermarket. If she gets pissed, you'll know before you invest any more time or MONEY.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Jewelry, just do it. Nothing crazy huge/gaudy. Maybe one of those saphire butterfly rings from friedman's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Better yet, give her a tub of crisco and let her figure that one out
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One.  Not a dozen.

CMOS

Flowers every week, sometimes twice, for the chick I am dating.

I even take the time to cut them myself and arrange them for her.  I also cook for her twice per week.

If she gets tired of me?  I'll get another one in about a day and a half.  

No big deal to be a nice guy.  Just don't be a chump that buys jewelry, trips, rings, cars, etc.

TRG

Yeah but now she'll expect it and will only be impressed if you get her more.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I even take the time to cut them myself and arrange them for her.  I also cook for her twice per week.

TRG

wait your gay right?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One.  Not a dozen.

CMOS

No big deal to be a nice guy.  Just don't be a chump that buys jewelry, trips, rings, cars, etc.

TRG

And how LONG had you been dating her when you started all that?   One month?

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One.  Not a dozen.

CMOS

TRG

WHIPPED!

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Much better to do something PERSONAL like cooking (which I do for my GF) than to BUY stuff.   That was really my point.   Buy = bad = girl go away.

Better to just spend some quality time with her.

CMOS
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#27]
5 boxes of WWB, "Do onto others, etc"
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys.  I still have a few days to decide before she comes home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#29]
"Pearl" necklace.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
"Pearl" necklace.

Did that already
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#31]
People are not reading the OP.

He's not 'gifting' her, it was her birthday.  You're in there for 2 months and your girlfriend's birthday comes up, you should be getting her a gift.

That said, don't go crazy expensive.  She probably dropped some kind of hint in the past that you missed.  

If you're going on vacation, perhaps something vacation related?  A gift certificate for someplace where she can get some vacation clothes?    Slip it inside one of those vacation phrasebooks maybe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#32]
set the bar low, if you get her jewelry too soon then you are required to get jewelry everytime after.  i'd go with a teddy bear.  no woman is to old for teddy bears.

ms. snaps
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Pearl" necklace.

Did that already

Well in that case.. A giant double ended dildo! Or better yet a basket of sextoys! Chicks dig it! Cant go wrong!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#34]
CMOS is right !  I have seen so many guys get blown off for doing NICE things for their GF too early in the dating seen,  and then they get the axe!

Might be the best thing to do is just tell you want to do something with her, but she gets to pick what that will be !
Top Top