Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have alot more sympathy for him if he went to class and/or had an important test or something.  If he just slept in and goofed off then I would have no sympathy for him at all.

As for the idea that some people shouldn't be allowed to vote based on income, I think I would give it some thought.  I kind of like the idea of welfare trash not being able to vote themselves more welfare, but having grown up dirt poor with honest parents who worked hard and followed the law, I think it needs to be very specific as to who isn't allowed to vote.  

-K
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
24?  He should have been finished with college two years ago.

I had a friend who served 2 enlistments with Marines.  He didn't start college til 24.  What's your point?

With his outstanding sense of civic duty I doubt he was doing anything quite so useful with his time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he should have gotten life in prison for such a stupid thing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Engineering degrees at many schools take 4-5 years on average. Then add in that some students do a

co-op program where they work for year. Then add in that he could actually be a graduate student. So

being a college student at age 24 isn't to improbable. Or he could be a lazy bastard attending school to

"explore himself" until his parents decide to cut off the funding. As far as "advanced degree holders"

being better or more qualified - visit a college campus sometime. Even schools with high entrance

requirements let in a large share of dunces.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Many schools don't have policies forcing professors to excuse absences for court appearances, allowing them to give failing grades for missed exams or quizzes.

My old school had no policy for military reserve duty either... so some professors could give zeros on quizzes when I was off training.  Funny enough, there was a policy forcing them to allow make-up work for school athletic events, but not for national defense.

I believe that's incorrect.

If a student is legally required by the gov't to miss class (like for jury duty), then another gov't agent (i.e. a public university professor) has no authority to punish the student for obeying the law.

It'd be like giving students a failing grade for missing an exam if a fire alarm went off at the start of the test and they had to evacuate the building. No way that would fly if it was challenged.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Many schools don't have policies forcing professors to excuse absences for court appearances, allowing them to give failing grades for missed exams or quizzes.

My old school had no policy for military reserve duty either... so some professors could give zeros on quizzes when I was off training.  Funny enough, there was a policy forcing them to allow make-up work for school athletic events, but not for national defense.

Thought there were laws againts that sort of thing.
Guess they didn;t take federal funds to beable to "punish" those in the armed forces
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's cool though, because this 24 year old got his mom to appoligize for him.  

It's called family.
They take up for one another.
She didn't as far as I know say her son didn't do anything wrong, she apologized to the court on her sons behalf who probably was not in court when that happened.

Whats the matter , you never made an error in judgement or had any one stick up for you?

So she attended court to watch her son sit on the jury?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top