Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 7:31:17 PM EDT
OK, I'm a real estate broker but don't know the tax code well enough to make this decision.  

1.  I own a home that was a principal residence for 2 years
2.  I let a friend stay there and pay the mortgage (did not file anything with IRS) after I'd lived there 2 years.  I held the house to increase equity and didn't know when I'd want to move back.
3.  When my friend moved in, I bought another house to live in & have been there for 1 year.

I'm wanting to sell my "new house" and move back into my old house.  Can I sell my new house and being that it's over 1 year since ownership, pay the 15% real estate tax to the govt and call this investment property.  Then when I sell the old house (probably about 4 months from now) still claim that as a principal residence for the past 2 out of 5 years and walk away tax free?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I beleive you can claim your tax benefit having lived in a house two of the last five years. Also, selling a house in less than 1 year, you pay tax on the gain as straight income. After one year, you prorate down from 10%. An exception is made based on whether you have a good reason for your move such as the child molestor that moved in next door.

This is based on a recollection of a conversation with my accountant about a similiar situation I found myself in a couple of years ago. I may have it wrong or the laws may have changed. This area of tax law is a mine field and you should not do anything without professional help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top