Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2006 2:32:53 PM EDT
I was considering getting one of these for hunting/general use.  Anyone have any experience with them?  Should I get the full size or should I go with the PUP?  Also, what is the differences between the the normal and elite pup knives?  Would they be strong enough to split a brisket?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a seap pup I use for hunting, works pretty good for cleaning and skinning an elk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the blade long enough on the pup or shoud I get the full size?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is the blade long enough on the pup or shoud I get the full size?  

I think the Seal pup is just about right, actually.

Here is a pic I just took of mine comparted to a Gerber Multitool, for reference.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny, I have that SAME Gerber tool...works well.

How well do they keep their sharpness?  The knife I have now is good for maybe one gutting, then its dull...so it figured its time for a new one.  

If you didn't have a saw, could you put that thing under the brisket and pull to split it (in a pinch that is)?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Funny, I have that SAME Gerber tool...works well.

How well do they keep their sharpness?  The knife I have now is good for maybe one gutting, then its dull...so it figured its time for a new one.  

If you didn't have a saw, could you put that thing under the brisket and pull to split it (in a pinch that is)?  

Yeah, You could do that with it.  I never tried, as I also carry a saw with me.

It holds its edge pretty well.  Not the best knife for holding an edge that I have ever seen, but not the worst either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Just placed a bid on ebay for one.  Looking foreward to it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
i have had one since they came out i have many more expencive knives but i like the seal 2000 as a good worker i used one the split the briscit on a small dear and got a little sideways and went through the ribs at a 45  degrea angle with no effort before i realized what happend its just 440a stainless it gets sharp as hell and is easy to sharpen but does not hold its edge real well i think its a fine knife for the money now youve made me want to dig mine out of the gun safe and plat with it
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i have had one since they came out i have many more expencive knives but i like the seal 2000 as a good worker i used one the split the briscit on a small dear and got a little sideways and went through the ribs at a 45  degrea angle with no effort before i realized what happend its just 440a stainless it gets sharp as hell and is easy to sharpen but does not hold its edge real well i think its a fine knife for the money now youve made me want to dig mine out of the gun safe and plat with it

HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE!!  

Now... I have been SERIOUSLY looking at the SOG Tigershark.  I found a brand new one for 80 bucks & I am so tempted to order.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Ontario Knife Co. Randall Adventure Trainer line.

They have a 7", 5" 3" and a 4" folder. The fixed blades come in either 1095 Carbon tool steel or D2. Stout, sharp, and made for hard use, and each can be had for under $80 if you look on ebay.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a SEAL 2000 knife that I use as a general all around beater knife.  I've used it to gut and then quarter a deer.  Then cut some kindling to start the cook fire with.  

As someone else said, it doesn't keep it's edge forever but it is easily sharpened with a Lansky sharper or a simple stone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one of the pups.  It seemed like a pretty good knife for the money.  Not the greatest knife.  The regular seal is too long for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top