Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 7:15:54 AM EDT
I posted a topic a while back looking for ZTR advice.  One of the posters mentioned that they were using Toro at thier work and were happy with them.  After lotsa looking at various manufacterers, I think this Toro ZX480 looks like a decent machine.  I've decided against getting another full out commercial grade mower - so therefore I am looking for the best residential grade machine but at a decent price.

So anyone know if this Toro TimeCutter ZX480 Zero Turning Radius Mower at an MSRP of $4699 is a decent value?  Or is this a $3000 mower with a red paint job and Toro sticker?  I have 5 acres of varied terrain - lawn, woods, and some open grass/weed areas.
•  20hp Briggs and Stratton® Intek OHV Twin-Cylinder Engine  
•  48" Mowing Deck with Anti-Scalp Wheels
•  Dual C-IZT Hydros with Charge Pumps
•  7 mph Top Speed
•  Flexible Discharge Chute  
•  5-Gallon Fuel Tank
•  3-Year Full Warranty

They also add the following info on a different webpage:
> Premium Engines
> Heavy Duty Mowing Decks
> Deck Washout Port
> Dual C-IZT Hydrostatic Drive System
> Hydraulically Dampened Controls
> Heavy Duty Construction
> Adjustable Armrests
> Flexible Discharge Chute
> Premium Comfort Package
> 3-Year Full Warranty

I hear the Toro name is good, but is this a real Toro or are they like J Deere putting thier good name on someone else's crappy lawnmower?

Forget the Cub Cadet ZTR that Home Depot has at $2999 - that's a POS with a tinfoil mower deck - tinfoil is for ARF hats only.  I don't expect the armor plating that the commercial decks have - but does anyone know how much better than tinfoil this Toro deck is?

I was going to look and possibly buy yesterday, but the place was closed for Easter.

ETA: Happy Easter everyone!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
They should be pretty good.....been around for ever
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, found it discounted online (at Speedway Sales & Service) for $3999, no sales tax, "free shipping".  What a deal!  I ordered it.  Done deal.

Had to pay $50 for residential delivery, and $25 shipping insurance.  For an item that weighs over 1000lbs, that's a deal as far as I'm concerned.

So instead of the MSRP of $4699 + sales tax and possibly like $300 in shipping, it is being delivered for $4074.

My thanks to the poster in my other "Help me pick out a ZTR" thread who suggested looking at Toro.  It looks like just what I need without overkill of a full blown $7-12K commercial grade  ZTR (plus tax and whatever dealer shipping/devivery charges they might ask).

I was originally looking at commercial machines.  I ended up high end residential, Tora has 2 levels of residential and I bought the top end which is exactly what I need without wasting a machine that was designed to run 50 hours a week.

My new Toro will run maybe 6 hours a week.  So I think I made a wise decision.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Okay, found it discounted online (at Speedway Sales & Service) for $3999, no sales tax, "free shipping".  What a deal!  I ordered it.  Done deal.

Had to pay $50 for residential delivery, and $25 shipping insurance.  For an item that weighs over 1000lbs, that's a deal as far as I'm concerned.

So instead of the MSRP of $4699 + sales tax and possibly like $300 in shipping, it is being delivered for $4074.

My thanks to the poster in my other "Help me pick out a ZTR" thread who suggested looking at Toro.  It looks like just what I need without overkill of a full blown $7-12K commercial grade  ZTR (plus tax and whatever dealer shipping/devivery charges they might ask).

I was originally looking at commercial machines.  I ended up high end residential, Tora has 2 levels of residential and I bought the top end which is exactly what I need without wasting a machine that was designed to run 50 hours a week.

My new Toro will run maybe 6 hours a week.  So I think I made a wise decision.

You bought it online, but what about when you need service?  The local Toro dealer will not 'squeeze you in' because you are in a hurry to get the lawn mowed. ETA: Or pick it up for free for said service.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
All the Toro equipment we have at work is top quality. Granted the Toro stuff I work with is bigger and more expensive but if it has toro on it, you did ok
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand about service.

I do have a trailer which I can use to haul this machine to a service center - and my local Toro sales/service center advertises warranty work on all regardless of where purchased.

Keep in mind I do have a 2 year old 23HP Garden Tractor with 50" cut, so my grass won't grow too long if I don't get priority service.

I just miss cutting with a ZTR, as my old ZTR machine is just not worth maintaining anymore.

Very valid concerns about service and buying online.  I think in my situation I'll be okay.

ETA: This machine comes with a 3 year pickup and drop off full* type of warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top