Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 2:56:52 PM EDT
Thought I wanted a horse 3 months ago. I have been riding over 6 months now and I still want a horse. I like the Tennessee walking horse. Pretty, but I need to ride one first. I am near 2 parks and a stable with over 30 miles of trail. Sounds like a plan.

I also like Belgians believe it or not. I have ridden one and thought it was awesome. Unfortunatly many places won't let you board them because if size and fence damage they cause.

Anyone own either of these breeds and can give me some personal experiences?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Draft horses are for pulling stuff not for riding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

People seem to like riding them. I did.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one also. Torn between getting a proper horse for mid to late 19th Century West of the Mississippi, vs East of the Mississippi.

That and the pesky 20 days a month Im overseas is keeping me from getting one.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
no thanks I have the equivelent of 200 of them under the hood of my truck that is enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
no thanks I have the equivelent of 200 of them under the hood of my truck that is enough for me.

Yours takes gas, mine gives gas.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Tennessee Walker.She's a 5 yr old mare with a great disposition.She's great to ride and smart as a whip.I'm very happy with her.She stands a little over 15 hands and fits me good (I'm 6'2",190lbs).

Just about any horse will make you a good horse if you spend the time with them.They also have different personalities-My brother had an Arabian that always seemed like he wanted to kill you as look at you .

Get one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People seem to like riding them. I did.

-Foxxz

It's not that they aren't fun to ride, they're not practicle as a trail mount. They're a pain to mount and dismount, their height puts your head in more branches than a smaller horse and they're just more expensive to own than a saddlehorse.

I think for trail use your better off with a smaller horse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I dig Thoroughbreds myself.  Here is my Gelding:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top