Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/13/2006 10:41:06 PM EDT
does apple really do thing better?  

im sure as hell not convinced microsoft is the one true path.
Constant slow downs, needing a rocket scientest and the special handshake to make modifications to the defult settings. Endless amounts of useless files.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Really depends on what your looking for.  I haven't used one of the new one yet

Keeps your house warm in the winter
Easy upgrades just toss it and buy a new one
Tons of games you can't find for the PC anymore

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Convince you?  Hell, I've never even seen one.

their out there, an apple outlet store just opend up near me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Once you go Mac....you never go back!

Seriously, if you don't like it, (can't think of why) you can run windows on the intel machines.

The only thing lacking is games.  If this is your primary reason for your computer, stick with something else.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Just switch to linux
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i duno   i dont do computer games or hardware updates every other year.
Im using a pentium 2 home built computer as we speak.  I guess im just looking for a computer that trained monkey can use for surfing and writing documents that wont take a crap every other week.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
they are better at video editing but that's the only time I ever used a Mac
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just switch to linux

¿qué?  no hablo el linux...  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't try to convince you to switch but will relate my experiences using Apple computers.

I've always bought Macs for home use and things haven't always been great. I did have issues over the years but listening to windows user friends of mine I feel my issues were insignificant in comparison.

My current home computer is a 17" flat screen iMac that I've had for approximately 3 years and I haven't had a single problem. I never do any software maintenance, rarely update virus definitions, and rarely update the programs on my computer and it has been 100% reliable. Its more like an appliance than a computer.

The down side of course is some compatibility issues. I can't always run videos or play games on the internet that run for windows machines. However, I consider it a plus as it keeps me from waisting time online.

My girlfriend has a Dell sharing my desk at home and I never even think about turning it on. I use windows computers at work but prefer a Mac at home.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im using a pentium 2 home built computer as we speak.  I guess im just looking for a computer that trained monkey can use for surfing and writing documents that wont take a crap every other week.

I have a whole bunch of computers.
PCs, Macs, Linux boxes, Silicon Graphics UNIX workstations,
I have no problem using any computer.
That said, I have a 1992 vintage Power Mac 6100
that still runs as well as the day it came out of the factory.
It never took a crap.
A trained monkey can definitely use a Mac.
Just go to Ebay and buy an old Mac G4 for a couple of hundred bucks and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
interesting, ive thought about windows for mac.  But is the mac version vunerable to all the filth out there since it is after all a ms based product???

sorry spelling sux tonite
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
convince me switch to apple....

Why would we ever do something that foolish?

Apple = Trendy Crap

PC = The ONLY way

Period.

If anyone tells you otherwise they don't know jack about computers. The only way I'd recommend an apple over a PC is if you are doing some intensive video editing.

Click Me (language warning)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple = Trendy Crap

PC = The ONLY way

well this is arfcom
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just switch to linux

que? no habla linux...  

I'm pretty sure he does speak linux, or he wouldn't be recommending it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
interesting, ive thought about windows for mac.  But is the mac version vunerable to all the filth out there since it is after all a ms based product???

The modern Mac OS X is UNIX based, meaning it is a more robust
operating system. However, since it is running on Macs with
Pentium based CPUs, it willl soon be the target of virii, spyware, and
other assorted crap because it will slowly get a bigger market share
simply because it is Intel based, and the hacker vermin will take an interest
just because it is new.
If you want near perfect security, build or buy an old PC and install
Linux.  
Linux is FREE.
Today's Linux user interface is designed to be very similar
to the Windows interface so people just like you will have the least
problems adjusting.
However, Mac OS X is pretty damn compatible to just about all you
would ever need it to be compatible to.
Its your choice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apple = Trendy Crap

PC = The ONLY way

Period.

If anyone tells you otherwise they don't know jack about computers. The only way I'd recommend an apple over a PC is if you are doing some intensive video editing.

Click Me

+1

That said, I do have an Apple IIGS that runs just fine. Of course, it runs on Pro-DOS.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not exactly clear what you're getting at but if you're talking about Boot Camp, running XP on an Intel based Mac, then yes, the Windows partition will of course be vulnerable to Windows related issues.  If you're talking about running the Mac version of MS Office, then you MAY be vulnerable to some macro viruses, but the answer is for the most part is NO.

There are 240,000 viruses and worms out there for Windows and 2 worms for OS X.  Granted it's only a matter of time before something nasty appears for OS X.

Test drive one first.  Go to an Apple store and take their "Getting Started" workshop.  That should help a great deal before making a decision.  If you decide to switch, it's like driving a radically different vehicle for the first time.  You know what to do, but it's kind of weird at first.

Princeton put it very well.  At home, our Mac just plain works.  Do they have problems?  Sure they do, but not nearly on the scale of our PCs at work.  We have an entire team there dedicated to clearing up problems.  Granted, it's been much smoother since upgrading to XP.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Apple users are clinically proven to have more ghey sex.
If that's what you're after, then switch right away.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not exactly clear what you're getting at  
this part
If you're talking about running the Mac version of MS Office, then you MAY be vulnerable to some macro viruses, but the answer is for the most part is NO.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

(seinfield)not that theres anything wrong with that.....(seinfield)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I would never argue that Mac is better. Will not put a lot of effort into persuading you to switch. I too was tired of the things you complain about, and more. Bought one 2 yrs. ago. Have not had any problems. Could not be more satisfied.

If you switch, the Apple Store will have classes to help you. I can also recommend a couple of books. Feel free to e-mail me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Can I sell you a Lorcin at the same time?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

On the other hand, if you're afraid just buying a mac is all it takes to unleash pent up homosexual tendencies, do what Throttle-Junkie does and stay where you are.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the other hand, if you're afraid just buying a mac is all it takes to unleash pent up homosexual tendencies, do what Throttle-Junkie does and stay where you are.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just go to Ebay and buy an old Mac G4 for a couple of hundred bucks and you will be fine.

I hate to say this guys, but nobody is really convincing me to stick with ms....

the prices on the used G4's  are quite reasonable.  Can one hook up a standard ibm keyboard,mouse and monitor to one? or would i have re-tool so to speak?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I think Apple sucks.  Overpriced "left-handed" computers.  When I got bored with PCs I checked them out in person and it took only a few minutes for me to see how backwards the whole design was.  Add the fact they are so specialized and cater to a very small crowd, it's a real turn off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#27]
If you really don't want to do anything other than surf the web and send email, and maybe some occasional word processing, a Mac will work fine.  I just don't like the outrageous hardware prices, lack of support from the aftermarket, and crappy form factors that most Macs have.  I am a tinkerer though, I build and upgrade PCs constantly, and its nice to have hundreds of motherboards, processors vidcards, etc to choose from.  If Apple ever wants to make any serious inroads against MS they have to divorce the OS (good, from what I hear) from the hardware (overpriced boutique shit, IMO).  I'd love to dual boot OSX with MS Vista on my PC.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Instead of bashing Microsoft operating systems, you might want to think about getting a machine and version of Windows that were released after 1998.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#29]
i'm waiting on 3rd party vendors to get their act together and release hardware drivers for os x so i can install it on any damn pc i want to.

then, i have interest in running it.  it has a few interesting features i'd like to check out, but the hardware is a bit pricey (especially to run multiple platforms).

fyi, if you buy the right hardware, and use a little bit of discretion, you will not have problems with a pc.  i haven't had a hardware failure in years, and never had a virus.  my monitor is starting to go out, but it's well over 5 years old now.

either platform is good, if your desire is to be maintenance-free, mac is probably the best solution at the moment.  then again, even your car needs an oil change from time to time...

unix is great, but there ARE learning curves.  i've heard ubuntu may be the best for newbies, but i haven't tried it.  i presonally use freebsd, generally.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#30]
#1 reason not buy Apple...

Owning an Apple makes you teh ghey.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know whether to laugh or vomit now!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#32]
THe problem is this, Apple is still fighting a battle it LOST 20 years ago! WAAAAY back in the day virtually no computers were compatable with eachother, an apple could'nt use IBM software, a trs-80 could'nt use Mac software, a tandy could'nt use...........blah blah blah. Then Microsoft came along (when they were still the good guys) they basically made it so that all computers could be the same platform Known as 'PC'. So now 98 % of home users basicially run the same OS and the same software. It's kind of annnoying to write 10 different versions of a word processor like they did in 1983. BUT NOT MAC! OH NO! THEY GOTTA BE FUCKING DIFFERENT! They persisited in using their own non compatable OS and their own stupid proprietary hardware like its still 1978 or something!!!!!!
So why do I rant? Why should i care? well normally i would'nt except that the "mac" people today basically act literally like a CULT! I aint shitting you ! they are like fucking scientologists! They make islamists look liberal! They always tote the same old BUllshit lines from 1988, "oh its great for graphics!, it's for the artistic people who are'nt good at computers! oh it's shit smells like ROSES! FOAD! Then they try to "suck in" the unsuspecting newb with all that trash. Then the person gets into it and goes "how come i dont have that software for my comp?" or "where can i get the Mac version of the game?" or "why do i have internet compatability problems?" "gee why did i spend 3000$ for a computer when my friend only paid $500????????" Gee this one button mouse gives me SOOOOOOOOOO many options!!!!!!!
Basically at this point, you know the truth AND YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, you buy that shit dont come crying to me. "i am not programmed to respond in that area".
Go to your cult buddies and get some more brainwashin'
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you like to fart in the living room or in the bathroom?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#34]
if you absolutely need to spend more money on a computer that does less then go ahead and buy Apple.
Feel convinced already?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#35]
yeah,  get you one of them new mac's with the Intel processor in it, then get the software fix from MAC to run Windows XP pro on it.  

or ya could just buy/build yourself a PC for half the cost.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Meh, Install Solaris X86 and Star Office and you will have the same experience as running OSX.

The whole Apple is better at “xyz” argument is total crap. There’s not one app (Short of apple’s in house crap) that won’t run better on a Wintel box.

If you are just looking for an alternative, Linux/BSD/Solaris is a better option.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Instead of bashing Microsoft operating systems, you might want to think about getting a machine and version of Windows that were released after 1998.

as i said before i just dont see the need to constantly update to a different OS every year.
just like i dont see a need to buy a new version of the same pickup every year

im cheap like that

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
#1 reason not buy Apple...

]www.photo.net/photo/pcd0155/gay-parade-33.4.jpg{url]

Owning an Apple makes you teh ghey.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
does apple really do thing better?  

im sure as hell not convinced microsoft is the one true path.
Constant slow downs, needing a rocket scientest and the special handshake to make modifications to the defult settings. Endless amounts of useless files.

The Apple OS is actually very good. I have done Apple support for a while, and am quite comfortable with them now. I actually like their OS and the way they do things. With the addition of unix under the hood, there is truly a way to make the machine do anything you want it to if you are a real geek, but it is simple and easy to use if you aren't.

The snag is that their hardware support and customer service in that arena is AWFUL.

These days, you can accomplish about anything you want to accomplish with an Apple machine, but application availability is still a bit limited. New Intel Apples can even be set up to run Windoze as well, for those who are masochists and just like lots of pain.

If you want to do lots of custom tweaks, they are harder to do under the Apple OS than under the Windoze OS. But for the average user, the Apple OS is going to be a more pleasant experience all around.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:19:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Apple = Trendy Crap

I support several hundred of them on a University campus.

They are most definately NOT trendy crap. Most users who have them LOVE them.

PC = The ONLY way

Period.

Again, I support a few thousand of those.

PCs are NOT the only way.  

If anyone tells you otherwise they don't know jack about computers.

Whatever you say there, Mr. Expert.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I hate to say this guys, but nobody is really convincing me to stick with ms....

the prices on the used G4's  are quite reasonable.  Can one hook up a standard ibm keyboard,mouse and monitor to one? or would i have re-tool so to speak?

The G4s use a USB mouse and keyboard, so yes. You can hook up a standard keyboard if you wish.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:21:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I think Apple sucks.  Overpriced "left-handed" computers.  When I got bored with PCs I checked them out in person and it took only a few minutes for me to see how backwards the whole design was.  Add the fact they are so specialized and cater to a very small crowd, it's a real turn off.

At one time that may have been true.

But their products from the last three or four years have actually been pretty good.

The only part about Apple that still sucks is their hardware support. It is still a lot slower than it ought to be.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'd love to dual boot OSX with MS Vista on my PC.  

You can with the new Intel based Apple OS.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd love to dual boot OSX with MS Vista on my PC.  

You can with the new Intel based Apple OS.

The point is I will never buy the POS  Apple hardware.  When they make their OS a commodity to truly rival MS on the normal PC platform I will pick it up.  I won't buy an intel based Mac just to run Windows on, I hate Intel anyway, have run nothing but AMD for the last 8 years.  X86 64 bit plus OS-X could be nice though.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Go to your cult buddies and get some more brainwashin'

Good grief.

Look: I support vast numbers of machines, both PC and Mac. The Mac users can accomplish ANY productivity item that the PC users can accomplish. And they can do other things (like video editing) than PC users can do.

And their latest OS can run Windows in a virtual machine and run some games on that virtual Windows installation FASTER than a PC can run it by itself......

Mac's weakpoint is their hardware. It is bloody expensive, it isn't expandable enough, and it sometimes takes forever and a week to get parts. But as a percentage, we have slightly fewer hardware failures from Macs than we do from PCs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The point is I will never buy the POS  Apple hardware.  When they make their OS a commodity to truly rival MS on the normal PC platform I will pick it up.  I won't buy an intel based Mac just to run Windows on, I hate Intel anyway, have run nothing but AMD for the last 8 years.  X86 64 bit plus OS-X could be nice though.  

I wouldn't buy Mac hardware with my own money at this point, but the new MacBook laptop I received is still a pretty nice little machine. I am learning to become very fond of it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I have been running Mac's for 12+ years.  I was always in the "one" dept that ran them, so I was brainwashed early on. I run my office on them now and have few problems.  I run them at home and my wife and kids love them. My oldest uses a 1998 or so iMac with no problems.  A bit slow, but it surfs,emails, word processes without fail.  I use my G4 iMac at home to burn home movies to DVD.  I have also used the windows stuff, mostly when on AD.  I find the mac side just a bit easier to run and administer.  Plus the apps that come with it are family friendly and do out of the box what you are likely to want to do at home.  I don't know about the windows standard stuff. If you already have the keyboards etc, look at the Mac Mini...it is only the box and is about $500 or so.  Use your own monitor, keyboard, etc.

Go to an Apple store if you can and talk to them or the Apple rep at Comp USA and have them give you a tour.

They have worked for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Im the only one in this thread po-fessunal 'nuff to use a Mac.

I work on Macs every day as a creative professional, and I have 2 PC's and a Mac at home. For games, PC's are the best, for design, Mac or PC, depends on what you prefer - most serious studios use Mac. The OSX based macs running the IBM chips are slow, and I really feel PC's are just as fast, if not faster - not to mention much cheaper than macs. You pay a big premium on macs for the fancy packaging and name...

I have yet to use the newer intel powered macs, but i've heard they're pretty good.
I personally like the upgradability and tweakability of PC's, eseciually when you run Unix or Linux on 'em.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

any PC with XP and a better CPU than you have now will be  worlds of difference. Apples are good, I just dont think they are worht the extra $ they want for them. I see 5 out of 75 apples a day in our tech center comming in with problems. I am not impressed. Then again I am not a zealous Mac apologist like my co-worker.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:44:09 AM EDT
[#50]
They're so effing overpriced.  But, they look nice

For media editing, I know they're the standard and I can kind of understand why such people would favor them.

But for me?  No thanks.  I often get the impression that the Apple corp exploits the slavishness of its cult.  $200 replacement batteries for the iPod, for example.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top