Choose Alternative Lifestyle, Choose Visiting Wine Bars,
Choose Conversations About Post-Modernist Feminist Philosophy,
Choose Wearing Sandals and Listening to Alanis Morisette,
Choose "Unconventional" Sexual Preferences and
Collecting Rare Diseases.

Choose Apple

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:"mac" people today basically act literally like a CULT! I aint shitting you ! they are like fucking scientologists!  

I will have to agree. They use the same buzzwords like "made the switch" and so forth. Not all Mac users are like that but most are. I think someone would have to be just as insance to defend MS crap as well but the MAc culties are pretty scary in their devotion to their product.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
well i have both. i use both.

my main machine now is a powerbook G4 with the wide screen, i get great battery life. its slim and does everythign i need.  i have a pc for games thats about it.  people say that mac never need updating. well seems like last week i put a 50 meg update on it. but it has never failed me so far. Tiger is a great Os. i also like pages. and open office is nice for office products. i tried office for mak didnt really thing it was that much nicer than pages for word stuff. and open office takes care of my Excell stuff.

the main kicker for me on Mac is the need to come down about 500 bucks.  i feel like i some what could have got a windows laptop with the same specs cheaper.

i will probably be a apple user for life. i grew up on a apple 2 e way back in the day so i finally came back to my roots.

like i said just wish they would drop about 500 bucks.

Ronald
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using Apple exclusively for ten years. I wouldn't switch back if you paid me. More user friendly, intuitive software, no worms, no viruses, no crashing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, all the "Mac is ghey" bullshit aside, it really depends on what your primary uses are going to be. I own a design and advertising company. All of my designers use Macs. They have never given us a problem, save for one iMac that had an overheating problem. Apple sent a tech out, problem taken care of in 10 minutes, not a prob since.

If you are looking for a machine to crunch numbers, play games, etc., great go with a PC. If you are looking for a machine to surf the internet, keep photos and videos on, run large applications like Adobe CS, where you may have many large programs open, then go with the Mac. The Apple OS is different, but with a little practice, say an evening of looking at pron on the net, you are good to go. I like the Mac for the net because most crap-ass hackers and retards don't produce viruses for Macs.

My company presently owns 2 iMac G5's, 3 G5 dual processors, 2 G5 single processors, 3 PowerBooks and we will be ordering the new quad processor soon, and 3 - 30" studio displays. They just don't have problems.

The bes thing is to go to an Apple store and play with them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go to your cult buddies and get some more brainwashin'

Good grief.

Look: I support vast numbers of machines, both PC and Mac. The Mac users can accomplish ANY productivity item that the PC users can accomplish. And they can do other things (like video editing) than PC users can do.

And their latest OS can run Windows in a virtual machine and run some games on that virtual Windows installation FASTER than a PC can run it by itself......

Mac's weakpoint is their hardware. It is bloody expensive, it isn't expandable enough, and it sometimes takes forever and a week to get parts. But as a percentage, we have slightly fewer hardware failures from Macs than we do from PCs.

I work with both too.  Get real.  I was starting to think you might not be too biased, until I read that.  Seen Virtual PC for Mac OS 9 and OSx.  Faster then your $299 budget PC, yeah, but against a halfway decent PC with a halfway decent video card?    You're gulping down too much of the Kool-aid.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Mac Mini last year because the price was so damn good for what it was, and I love the thing, silent, quick, does everything I need, clean looking, and lots of nifty features throughout Tiger.

I don't use Windows anymore unless I have to now.

I like it's looks, gadgets and things like that, if people think that me having one is trendy, or ghey, fuck them.

That's like everyone here telling me what gun is best for my concealed carry! Oh wait, we already do that
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I work with both too.  Get real.  I was starting to think you might not be too biased, until I read that.  Seen Virtual PC for Mac OS 9 and OSx.

I am speaking of their latest Intel based systems with the accompanying software. There is an application called Parellels that allows you to run Windows in a virtual machine, and it runs very well so far in my tests. I tried a game called sniper elite, and it ran better on the MacBook I have than it did on my PC standalone.

Faster then your $299 budget PC, yeah, but against a halfway decent PC with a halfway decent video card?    You're gulping down too much of the Kool-aid.

Hardly.

Just reporting the facts.

The MacBook I am testing on runs a PC game in a virtual Windows session using Parallels BETTER than my standard issue GX620 does. When you consider this is being done inside a virtual machine, that is amazing.

I am not drinking ANYBODY'S kool-aid here. I don't have my ego wrapped up in whatever computer I use. I have to support lots and lots of computers with all sorts of operating systems and all sorts of software. Each has their strong points and weak points.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i duno   i dont do computer games or hardware updates every other year.
Im using a pentium 2 home built computer as we speak.  I guess im just looking for a computer that trained monkey can use for surfing and writing documents that wont take a crap every other week.

There you go.  I'm not bashing, but I work in IT, and 99% of the home built PCs are built with budget components.  You CAN'T expect a 8 year old budget PC on an old OS not to take a dump once in a while.

A PC built with quality components on XP is rock-solid stable.  If you go home-built route, insist on an Intel motherboard, NVIDIA or ATI video card, Creative sound card, and a Seagate or Hitachi hard drive; then you are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Just try one out, and see if you like it. Use what works for you, because in the hands of an average consumer, it really doesn't matter one bit. Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hardly.

Just reporting the facts.

The MacBook I am testing on runs a PC game in a virtual Windows session using Parallels BETTER than my standard issue GX620 does. When you consider this is being done inside a virtual machine, that is amazing.

I am not drinking ANYBODY'S kool-aid here. I don't have my ego wrapped up in whatever computer I use. I have to support lots and lots of computers with all sorts of operating systems and all sorts of software. Each has their strong points and weak points.

Compare with a PC with a real video card.  The Dell GX620 video is garbage.  Gotta compare apples to apples (pardon the pun).  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Compare with a PC with a real video card.  The Dell GX620 video is garbage.  Gotta compare apples to apples (pardon the pun).  

I am not asserting that the MacBook is going to run a virtual Windows session better than ANY Windows machine.

I AM asserting that the fact you can run a game on a virtual Windows session faster than you can on my rather generously configured GX620 says a lot about how useful the new Intel based Macs are. They are a pain in the a$$ for support because now all the mac freaks on campus have a hard on to buy all Macs all the time and use BootCamp to have people choose which OS they want to use (never gonna happen...), but that aside the software is STILL very good.

The person who purchases a Mac today is going to buy a VERY useful and very user friendly machine overall.

Time will tell if their hardware support is better because of their platform switch.

And besides, comparing a MacBook's performance running a virtual Windows session with a 3,000 dollar gaming machine that has a 500 dollar video card isn't a fair comparison either.

Comparing it with a PC laptop specd the same way is a fairer comparison, and I would wager that the advantage would then be the Mac's again....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#13]
The new Apple stuff is very good. I'm a Linux guy to the end, and I want some of it... OSX is after all a real Unix. Admittedly, the Apple zealots are pretty annoying, but that's just an unfortunate by product of the realization that using a computer doesn't have to be the frustrating, virus and spyware riddled headache that Windows provides.

Judging from your goals that you stated in your first post, an Apple would be perfect for you. You can get yourself a new Apple Mac Mini for $600. They're great computers, very small and work very well. Just use OpenOffice.org for your word processing and spreadsheet needs (it's 100% compatible with the Microsoft software) and you can start using your computer instead of fighting with it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#14]
To everyone claiming Apple laptops are over-priced, do a comparison and link us up with the results.

I'd suggest you compare a new MacBook Pro, the intel-based laptop that can run both Windows XP or OSX 10.4 or Linux and a comparable Sony.  I'd be surprised if there was the claimed $500 difference.  The few times I've just browsed the ads they would be within a few hundred or less.

Here's some comparisons of Intel based duo core and single core laptops with MacBook Pro (duo core).  Macs are right up there.

www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,s=1565&iid=127601,00.asp

gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/archive/2006/03/21/8212.aspx

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]
This would be like talking someone down from an M16 to a mini-14.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Apple and OSX are superior in every way to a PC, except for gaming.

Get the apple.  You will be getting a better machine then you ever possibly could in the PC world.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I bought a Mac Mini last year because the price was so damn good for what it was, and I love the thing, silent, quick, does everything I need, clean looking, and lots of nifty features throughout Tiger.

I don't use Windows anymore unless I have to now.

I like it's looks, gadgets and things like that, if people think that me having one is trendy, or ghey, fuck them.

That's like everyone here telling me what gun is best for my concealed carry! Oh wait, we already do that

i kinda like the mini myself. now that i know my spare kb's and crt's will work with it.
might be the cats ass.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]

When I evaluate my options, it really comes down to money.   Apples are more expensive and generally become obsolete quicker (the next big apple is always around the corner).  

So if you can afford it, get it, its superior.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I own both, I use both.

Its apples and oranges (pardon the pun)

I love my PC at home for games, some applications that I love on XP (soulseek, etc...)

And I by far spend more "fun" time on my windows machine. But mainly because my laptop is aging, and I usually use it only for classes.

However I also use a dual g5 at work for video editing, and Final Cut Pro is one of my favorite applications out there.

I do agree that some stuff from mac is more focused on being "pretty" than functional.

But with FCP it is the straight up no nonsense best video editing suite out there.

Just buy what you like, I mean hell this is arfcom right?
I got both.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#20]
sombody aught to make a hive mind smilie.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been using a Powerbook G4 at work for the last 4 months, and I hate it.  

I bought it because I wanted a *nix-ish laptop for programming & data processing that had a nice UI.  

It has the user interface of Redhat 2.0 with all the stability of Window$.  I've had 4 unrelated critical hardware failures in those 4 months.  The GUI is ridiculously un-configurable.  (No "system font size", no true "focus follows mouse", many keys cannot be remapped, etc)  I hate the whole UI design where your menu bar can sit on another monitor.  

OsX sucks donkey balls, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not asserting that the MacBook is going to run a virtual Windows session better than ANY Windows machine.

Comparing it with a PC laptop specd the same way is a fairer comparison, and I would wager that the advantage would then be the Mac's again....

Doubt it...  Every instance I've seen with emulation, there is significant overhead.  To be fair, compare $ to $.

Without a disclaimer, you did assert that from your previous statement...  

I'm not a Mac hater, I just don't think they are a good value.  They have their crowd, and if they feel good about their purchase, that's all that matters.  I just won't mislead anyone into them.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#24]
apples are for queers from sanfransisco

they are.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
they are better at video editing but that's the only time I ever used a Mac

myth
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Choose Apple, Choose Hybrid Car,
Choose Smug, Choose moving to San Fransisco,
Choose Alternative Lifestyle, Choose visiting Wine Bars,
Choose Conversations About Post-Modernist Feminist Philosophy,
Choose Wearing Sandals and Listening to Alanis Morisette,
Choose "Unconventional" Sexual Preferences and
Collecting Rare Diseases.

Choose Apple

Sounds PRO-CHOICE, to me!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I am buying a laptop as soon as they get a cheaper model with the intel duo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

myth

I wouldn't say a complete myth.

A myth would be that you can only video edit on a mac.

Avid is a cool program, and the only competitor out there for Final Cut Pro.

Of course if you want a job in video editing its best to know both.

So gay or not, I Do like FCP better for video editing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you go home-built route, insist on an Intel motherboard...

Just out of curiousity...why?
I've never had any performance or stability issues related to AMD processors and their supporting chipsets on the m-boards I've used.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Really? Why?

I mean that is what I have but I def. wouldn't make it necessary.

Plus an intel board pretty much rules out any over-clocking in the future.

They are nice boards though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#31]
i have been using AMD platform for years. Current system is overclocked by 500mhz and runs stable for over a year now. I dont see myself switching to Intel any time soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Why?

NEVER get an intel motherboard unless it is absolutely the last motherboard left available anywhere in the world.

No tweaking or overclocking options.

Get an Asus, or DFI, and never look back.  Those are the only two brands of motherboards worth a damn.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Why?

Luger said he isn't much of a gamer...  His main gripe is the lack of stability.
There are other good boards out there.  I've built plenty over the years and am an overclocker myself, but with most of the other boards you take a chance with stability.  Seems Abit, Asus, DFI, Soyo, and some others are generally great boards but put out a lemon once in a while.  I've used many different Intel boards at work, they have always been reliable.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#34]
well since oranges dotn taste as good as apples.. i say get fuji apples.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Mac just slit their own rist by publishing the patch to run Windows on their Computers.  

They are over priced computers that don't run 99% of the software available.  Gee, let me thing of which one I want.

Mac is going away.  Face it.  There will be a single OS system and it will be the benefit to all consumers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Linux and Wine. Get security, stability, user interface, and Windows compatibilty, without the whole Macintoshness and without paying for your OS. I use Ubuntu Linux. Easy as pie, runs my Windows programs. And if you need a program for something, there's a whole program set aside for finding and installing it for you.

Go Linux. Best of both worlds, and a whole mess of stuff neither of them have, at a much better price than either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Mac is going away.  Face it.  There will be a single OS system and it will be the benefit to all consumers.

Not if that OS is Windows. A hacker's wet dream is that every computer is so vulnerable, uses the same system, and is connected to everything else that's exactly like it.

Now, if it were Linux, we'd be getting somewhere good.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a 1984 vintage Apple Macintosh, like this one:

Yes, it works just fine. Runs MacOS 7.2.1 or maybe 7.2.6 now... anyway, that's all ancient history.

I bought a Mac Mini a few months back. Let me tell you: OS X sucks. Big time. The controls are not intuitive. The Mini is SERIOUSLY underpowered. I bet to run OS X well you need a dual processor system with at least 2 gigs of RAM and the latest video card. OS X is ridiculously slow and is a terrible resource hog. It has no file manager whatsoever. All in all, it's an overrated piece of crap. I would stick with Fedora Core 5 (Linux). It's free, it's smooth, it's sexier than a Ferrari and it comes with tons of free software!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
well since oranges dotn taste as good as apples.. i say get fuji apples.

Hell no.  Granny Smith apples.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#40]
This has to be the lamest mac vs pc thread I've seen in my life.

I'm quite happy with a combination of windows and openbsd systems.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
i'd get one of these: www.alienware.com/product_pages/desktop_all_default.aspx

those are the worst pc's avail.   have you ever tried to get support from that company.    the desktops are at least standard.    once their laptops are out of warranty they don't even sell replacements parts.  try finding parts for your laptop and tell me how it goes

as far as the whole pc, mac, linux part

I hate computers I work on them every day.    Microsoft IS NOW a stable operating system UNTIL the end user....... YES the END USER installs something on it to screw it up.   spyware, virus, trojans, malware does NOT INSTALL ITSELF.  YOU installed it.   the one rare instance was the blaster worm.   a basic firewall would have blocked it.

linux  works and is also stable   and is getting ALOT more user friendly  I urge those who are comonly formatting their system because of  virus's and such.  To try a version of linux, they make bootable version so you don't even have to install it on your pc link

Mac  os is IS stable also.   but the hardware on the compact machines makes them pretty much disposable once you have a hardware problem.   i have never owned a mac or ever plan on it

windoz and linux for me thank you
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

those are the worst pc's avail.   have you ever tried to get support from that company.    the desktops are at least standard.    once their laptops are out of warranty they don't even sell replacements parts.  try finding parts for your laptop and tell me how it goes

I hate computers I work on them every day.    Microsoft IS NOW a stable operating system UNTIL the end user....... YES the END USER installs something on it to screw it up.   spyware, virus, trojans, malware does NOT INSTALL ITSELF.  YOU installed it.   the one rare instance was the blaster worm.   a basic firewall would have blocked it.

linux  works and is also stable   and is getting ALOT more user friendly  I urge those who are comonly formatting their system because of  virus's and such.  To try a version of linux, they make bootable version so you don't even have to install it on your pc link

Mac  os is IS stable also.   but the hardware on the compact machines makes them pretty much disposable once you have a hardware problem.   i have never owned a mac or ever plan on it

+1

Alienware is the Gheyest of the Ghey.   They are made by douchebags, specifically for douchebags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

myth

i agree.   if you spent them money on a pc that you spend on a MAC.  the pc will out perform it.   the pc will have standard parts also.  not proprietary parts
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont have Alienware, i just like the design. If i had one then lack of support wouldnt bother me. I'd probably change half of the components in a few months time anyway. I like to build my own pc's.
Which version of Linux would you recommend for a Linux noob? Just to try?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont have Alienware, i just like the design. If i had one then lack of support wouldnt bother me. I'd probably change half of the components in a few months time anyway. I like to build my own pc's.

Ubuntu is without a doubt the best Linux Distro for people new to the platform.  Very easy to use, and it is so free, they dont even chage you shipping if you request official CD's from them.  You can download it also though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I have used, programmed for, and owned PCs, larger UNIX servers, and Macs.

At home, I use a Mac.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Posting this on a Mac Mini.  It hase DVI out to a nice digital 17" monitor, nice and crisp video.  I have several 'puters, but this is my favorite for web surfing, by far.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Apple has been very good to me.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI   you can buy the alienware cases from newegg.  they just won't have the alienware logo on them.  

I run fedora core 5 as a dual boot on the majority of my systems.   even my work machine that im on now
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top