Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 7:56:27 AM EDT
My 30th birthday is Friday, for years my parents have gotten me a large assortment of steaks, chops and burgers from the local meat wholesale place.  I found out that several of the meat packing plants in the area gave a "free day off" this week so their workers could go march in the protests, and these are businesses that I will avoid supporting.  I let my Mom know about this and she said they would just give me the money instead if that's how I really feel.  So, should I donate that money to the Minuteman Project or put it into Send-a-Brick for the best results?

Its funny, my dear ol' mom asked me if I thought it would really make a difference if one person makes a stand.  I told her that its all one person can do, its better than doing nothing, and it might inspire others to do something as well.  Would have really liked those steaks though...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Well dude, not buying steaks isn't really going to effect anything. The only way you may effect them is if you live on a farm and begin raising your on cows, chickens, pigs, and growing virtualy any vegtible that is hand picked.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a little reminder, but it is our right to protest, right or wrong.  I personally have respect for a business who gives its employees the day off to exercise a right.  Would you rather they said to themselves, "I think what you want to protest for is BS so you're working today"?  I wouldn't.  Just because they let employees join in the protesting doesn't mean the business itself is in favor of it.  So get over it, buy the meat and happy birthday.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm taking the money (in the hundreds of dollars) that would be going to a business that caters to illegals and giving it to one of two causes.  Either the Minutemen or Send-a-Brick.  I was looking for opinions on which option would do the most good, not the standard Arfcom "here's why that won't work so do nothing" response.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm taking the money (in the hundreds of dollars) that would be going to a business that caters to illegals and giving it to one of two causes.  Either the Minutemen or Send-a-Brick.  I was looking for opinions on which option would do the most good, not the standard Arfcom "here's why that won't work so do nothing" response.

I understand that, but we put ourselves in a situation where we in large depend on them. Anyhow the Minutemen seems to be the best cause right now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand that, but we put ourselves in a situation where we in large depend on them. Anyhow the Minutemen seems to be the best cause right now.

I got you.  Its not like I'm going off beef or anything, I love the steak.  Just since they protested this week and its a rather large purchase I wanted to money to go to our side of the cause.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
make sure tyhe meat company knows WHY you're not giving them the money.
Minuteman would probably be a good choice...can you donate some time too???
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
make sure tyhe meat company knows WHY you're not giving them the money.
Minuteman would probably be a good choice...can you donate some time too???

I'm working on it, it was my goal to go this summer.  The thing is that CCW doesn't start in Kansas until January '07 and it looks like you have to have a CCW from your home state to carry when out with Minuteman.  I'd prefer to not to guard the desert with only my stark-white ass as defense, ya know?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
 Your hitting 30? oh shit!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Call the meat packing plant.  Let them know you are pissed off about what they are doing.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I would make copies of the checks you send to your favorite "charities", and send them to the manager of the butcher shop, just to make sure that he knows he has lost real actual cash money on account of his liberal attitude.

Hit'em where it hurts... the balance sheet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just a little reminder, but it is our right to protest, right or wrong.  I personally have respect for a business who gives its employees the day off to exercise a right.  Would you rather they said to themselves, "I think what you want to protest for is BS so you're working today"?  I wouldn't.  Just because they let employees join in the protesting doesn't mean the business itself is in favor of it.  So get over it, buy the meat and happy birthday.

WTF are you talking about? It's your right to protest as a legal citizen. He's talking about the illegal aliens protesting. They entered the country illegally, remember? They are already sucking off the government and every tax payer. Why the hell should they be paid to go protest on our dollar. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would make copies of the checks you send to your favorite "charities", and send them to the manager of the butcher shop, just to make sure that he knows he has lost real actual cash money on account of his liberal attitude.

Hit'em where it hurts... the balance sheet.

Oh yeah, they'll know where "their" money actually went.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Working for the Bill Maher campaign?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
It all starts with with one person making a stand.
First it is one, then it is two and so on.
Top Top