Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:55:46 PM EDT
I've always wanted to join the Marines, but I have very bad allergies to grass and the mold that grows in them, along with maybe some trees, as in if I'm doing yard work in them for an hour my nose will be running, sneezing, and itching REALLY badly, eyes also water a lot. Would these allergies count me out? Would they allow me to join if I had to take Claritin? (doubt it, but I'm wondering) I don't take Claritin but it might be a good idea if I know i will be outside for a while. I guess I could always try building up a resistance to my allergies, if that's even possible.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything is waiverable.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
you'll just be used as the NBC guinea pig during unmasking procedures
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a paper medical record?

If not (and it sounds like you haven't been to a doc about it) just keep your mouth shut--the medical forms only ask what you've been medically (i.e. "by a doctor") diagnosed with.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. If I joined, would I be able to bring my Claritin with me and be able to use it out in the "field", or would they have to know about that too?

I did get blood drawn and an allergy test which showed me a 4/5 to some grass and the mold that grows in them. So I guess that would be on my medical records.

The thing is, I WOULDN'T want to be out fighting or working with those allergies. Makes me feel like complete shit with all the sneezing and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a troop that was like you, basicly allergic to North Carolina.  While a squared away troop otherwise, the allergys were a burden on the rest of the team.

Thanks for wanting to do something for your country, but please look at some other area to excell in.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
navy or airforce probably be better, though you could try for desert units i guess
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump. Still open for more opinions.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The worst and only really bad allergy attack I ever had was on Camp Pendleton.  Be a bad time to find out that you got an attack just before the final grind.

That said, having an allergy won't disqualify you from many jobs, but it might and you sure as hell don't need to get got red nosed and red eyed having fudged your medical questionaire.  Speak up first.  I believe you can take antihistamines in boot camp.  You can at Lackland.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Claritin is over the counter now.  It shouldn't be a problem.

Just tell them you take Claritin for "seasonal allergies" as needed (not prescribed), along with telling them about your multi vitamins, etc.

When you put the two together, it tends to downplay the severity.  No waiver should be necessary, just don't go on and on about how bad your allergies get!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks. If I joined, would I be able to bring my Claritin with me and be able to use it out in the "field", or would they have to know about that too?

no claritin. and if they found it after you said you didn't have any allergies the least you could expect is an immed admin sep for "fraudulent enlistment" with a possible oth (but more likely "uncharacterized"...i think).

ETA: disregard, didn't know claritin was otc! still, if you started hacking and sneezing bad enough while in boot camp (you spend a little bit of time outdoors there), you'd probably end up making sick call and the docs there would find out pretty damn quick...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.

My allergies seem to be completely random too; I can spend the whole day outside paintballing (but in desert environments) and not get allergies, but when I'm doing yard work with wet grass, stooped low pulling weeds, then I can get pretty bad allergies. Sometimes I can spend hours in a grass field and not hava anything happen, sometimes an hour and crap starts happening.

Maybe I could try boot camp and see how my allergies pan out. If I find out they ARE too bad for the Marines, would I be able to quit? Perhaps I could get an honorable discharge since it's not anything bad.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure you go see the recruiter on the 30th of the month.  He'll sign you right up.

JDC
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
i have SEVERE allergies which i need to recieve an injection every 2 weeks to keep under control.  i was medically disqualified from the Air Force and my waiver was denied.  Despite the fact that I had been told that waivers for those requiring allergy injections were "usually granted".  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i have SEVERE allergies which i need to recieve an injection every 2 weeks to keep under control.  i was medically disqualified from the Air Force and my waiver was denied.  Despite the fact that I had been told that waivers for those requiring allergy injections were "usually granted".  YMMV.

Hmm... well, mine aren't so severe that I have to get shots every 2 weeks. Then again I am not outside much, and the allergies USUALLY will go away in a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top