Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 5:34:43 PM EDT
Hello, I'm in negotations right now to buy a firearm from an individual who is out of state, to be transfered through my FFL. Does he have to receive a copy of my dealer's FFL before shipping, or can I just give him my dealer's dealer # and have him verify it via the online ATF EZ Check?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The ones I've dealt with insist on having an ink-signed copy mailed to them...faxed is now OK too.

Lex in NC
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
No, he does not have to have a copy of your dealer's FFL. In fact, dealers are not obligated to provide a copy of their license to non-licensees when performing an interstate transfer. This is to prevent non-licensees from posing as licensees and illegally ordering firearms from a manufacturer or distributer. A valid license number that he can verify with FFL Easy check is legally sufficient.

That said, the seller would in my opinion be within his rights to insist on a paper copy of the FFL that the firearm is going to. It's his gun and he doesn't have to sell it if he doesn't want to. Some people feel more secure having a paper copy of the license in their files, in case the BATFE shows up on their door step saying that they traced a gun from a crack house to them.

In the past, I have been able to work it out by having a local FFL ship the gun to the buyer's FFL. This way my FFL can get a copy of the receiving FFL's license and I have documentation (on the dealer's bound book) that the gun went out from there. It's a win/win, and dealers usually feel more comfortable receiving guns from other dealers anyways.

Interstate transfers are a fucking pain in the dick. There is alot at stake and no room for error.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold two pistols recently to an internet buyer and shipped them to his FFL.  In order for you to be able to prove you actually shipped a firearm to an FFL holder you better have a copy of an FFL.

If the ATF come looking for the handgun at a later date I am willing to bet that telling them you looked a guy up on EZ check and sent off a gun won't save you from jail.  As the seller you should insist on a readable copy either faxed or mailed with whatever funds you choose.  Then ship to the address listed on the FFL.

I would not do business with anyone unwilling to provide a copy of their FFL, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm actually the buyer in this case, and I'm trying to figure out if I really need to send the copy to him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
NO !  (ETA: unless the seller is an FFL)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I would not do business with anyone unwilling to provide a copy of their FFL, but thats just me.

What he said.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a FFL/SOT, if I buy a gun from an out of state non FFL I ahve not problem send him/ a copy of my license. I write on it what exactly it is for and write FILE COPY ONLY on the front. I make sure that my writing get into all the printed areas. This makes it harder if they are going to try to use my license fraudulently. I hare also seen others who use a large red letter stamper that says "DEALER COPY" on the front. It prevents them from photo copying and using it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
When Ihad my interview for the FFL last week with the BATFE agent he said that you can now scan and e-mail a copy just like a fax now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top