Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:29:45 PM EDT
Just took some cough medicine, it is 100% guaifenesin.  

The bottle had the standard little shot-glass on top, and the other cold medicine I take has a dosage of 2 shot glasses - 2 ounces, which is 4 tablespoons.

Fuck.

I read the label on this crap (after taking it) and the dosage is 1 tablespoon.  

So I basically just accidentally took 4 times the recommended dosage.  Finger down the throat, and up came the red medicine (Robitussin), along with tonight's baked ziti.

Pretty fucking painful to hack up cheese, pasta, and ground beef.  

I bet I won't do that again.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I read the directions every time I take medicine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
jeez dude, it's just guaifenisen, 4x the recommended dose isn't going to kill you, especially if you're a somewhat bigger guy....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just took some cough medicine, it is 100% guaifenesin.  

The bottle had the standard little shot-glass on top, and the other cold medicine I take has a dosage of 2 shot glasses - 2 ounces, which is 4 tablespoons.

Fuck.

I read the label on this crap (after taking it) and the dosage is 1 tablespoon.  

So I basically just accidentally took 4 times the recommended dosage.  Finger down the throat, and up came the red medicine (Robitussin), along with tonight's baked ziti.

Pretty fucking painful to hack up cheese, pasta, and ground beef.  

I bet I won't do that again.

Somehow, I bet you will.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
jeez dude, it's just guaifenisen, 4x the recommended dose isn't going to kill you, especially if you're a somewhat bigger guy....

About 6 foot, 270lbs.

I just did some internet research, it appears that 1200mg (which is what I took) is an FDA-approved dose (Mucinex).

Oh well, my dry cough is wet now anyway from all the damn bile and phlegm from puking.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
+ 1 to fossil fuel.  The real bummer here is that guaifenesin is hardly toxic except at super huge dosages and sticking a finger down your throat was hardly necessary.  Its often a supplamentary drug in heavy duty RX cough syrup.  Often combined with hydracodone.  If a 4x dose of guaifenesin alone could kill you, there would be a heck of a lot of people going belly up ranging from 14 year olds to older folks like mr Rush Limbaugh.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top