Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 11:19:51 AM EDT
The USAF hired Allied Van Lines to pack and ship my household goods from Idaho to Maine following my separation in Feb.

When I recieved my shipment, I discovered my $100 Bushnell Mil-Dot scope, my $70 Colt hunting knife, and $65 Harris bipod were missing. They were there when I sent the shipment away, since the box they were in was full to the top with gun accessories (NO firearms were in the shipment!) but when it was delivered, was only about half full. I'm still inventorying to see what else was stolen. I am pissed beyond belief about this.

I wish I had room in the car for the box, but there just wasn't any space.

I have to file a claim with the .mil to get reimbursed for the loss. But I don't want money, I WANT MY SHIT BACK!

HOWEVER...

Allied sent me a letter about a week or so ago containing a form that I had not been asked to sign when the shipment was delivered. The note said "Please sign the enclosed form where indicated so that we may recieve payment (from the .mil)  for our services."

I don't see why they should recieve payment for a shipment that was only 95% delivered...

I'm calling them up and explaining my point of view on this matter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't sign it.  Fuck them, they stole, they should not be paid and should be priohibited from government contracts in the future.

I was an AF brat, these gorillas lost/broke/stole EVERYTHING I ever had that had any value.

My dad was CINC of AF Special Ops when he was CINC 23 AF.  He contrantly toured his bases and came back with a righteous colection of badass basebal caps.

When I was packing my room, the gorillas noted how cool the hats were.  Guess which box fell off the truck.

I would raise holy hell and then post here about your success so I can bask in the karma that has befallen those who would f someone over like this.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the club.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck `em! BTDT - when I ETS'd from Ft. Riley, one of the boxes ended up 'having a mishap in the
warehouse', and upon inventory, was discovered to be short several items.

As 50cal said, hopefully it was all manifested as mine was. My VCR, a Bianchi holster, several
Wilson .45 mags and a leather shooting coat for High Power competition was missing.

They tried to weasel out, saying that I should have inventoried it when it was dropped off (they
literally set the boxes on the porch and hauled ass), but I pressed the issue. I had to go to JAG at
Ft. Belvoir to fill out the claim forms, and get the 3rd degree about the missing stuff (f'ing
lawyers!), but I did get my $$ back.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you've already notified them of the missing items, inform them that when they finish delivering your stuff, you will gladly sign off on the paperwork for them to be paid.

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
BTDT.

Make your claim.

From my understanding, the .mil will charge back to the moving company for the costs of reimbursing you for your missing items.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Every PCS I've made I've had stuff stolen by the thieves.

Know one guy who's entire moving van burnt up on the interstate in Colorado according to the moving company. However, nobody could ever find record of the truck burning.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I was an Air Force brat too, when we moved back from Germany....the movers had stolen a huge refrigerator/freezer my mom had bought over there. A Barvarian Grandfather clock my parents had custom made and a wall full of Volksmarch medals we'd collected throughout the 3 years we were there had also "disappeared". My father was CMSGT with the 8th AF and he knocked some heads from what I recall.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]

When I recieved my shipment, I discovered my $100 Bushnell Mil-Dot scope, my $70 Colt hunting knife, and $65 Harris bipod were missing.

You are very lucky that's all it was!  I'm sitting here with my niece who works in HR for a large company and helps all of their new hires and transfers with moves and handles the reimbursements.  According to her, she hasn't heard any positive comments about any of the more than a fifty moving companies their employees have used.  She said that Atlas, Allied, Movex, Broadway Express, Century 1, Priceline Movers, Prime Moving, US-1 Van Lines, Safeway, Interstate, and Goldstar have all lost entire households of belongings.  She said there might be another one or two of them, but those are the ones she remembered off the top of her head!

She said that they did a background checks on moving company employees when their management team moved to the area.  She said they ended-up having their own company employees do the move since they couldn't find a moving company in Atlanta, GA that didn't employee criminals.  She said more than half of the employees they checked had outstanding warrants.  The two truck drivers they did a check on didn't have a commercial license and their regular licenses had been suspended.  Since it was the management of the company, she had to talk company employees into doing the work to make sure it was done right.

I had no idea moving companies were this bad until just now.z
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it possible to make small inexpensive and easily hidden GPS location broadcasters so you can hide it in some stuff and find it later if it gets stolen? Methinks one could make boatloads of money if they could pull it off and sell it to frequent movers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't sign it.  Fuck them, they stole, they should not be paid and should be priohibited from government contracts in the future.

I was an AF brat, these gorillas lost/broke/stole EVERYTHING I ever had that had any value.

My dad was CINC of AF Special Ops when he was CINC 23 AF.  He contrantly toured his bases and came back with a righteous colection of badass basebal caps.

When I was packing my room, the gorillas noted how cool the hats were.  Guess which box fell off the truck.

I would raise holy hell and then post here about your success so I can bask in the karma that has befallen those who would f someone over like this.

Good luck.  

Your old man sounds like he was a reall badass. Cool.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Army brat here- and I'll add my voice to the many others who had stuff stolen by the moving apes. CD players, VCR players, TVs, we lost it all.

I ended up working as a civilian for OSJA (JAG office) 1ID over in Germany later on in life, and I told the claims people that if I lost anything else I was submitting a claim for a Tactical Nuclear Device.

-Mark
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Your old man sounds like he was a reall badass. Cool.

Yeah, he's pretty low key but BA.
<slight hijack>
At my 20 year reunion, a guy told me there's still a story circulating in AF cargo circles (it was MAC when I knew it.)

Dad was air mission commander for the Grenada invasion.  He was on the first Hercules to overfly and was to drop a stick af army paras.

Loadmaster told him there was a problem: an army leutenant refused to get on the plane.  "Tell him General ___ says to get his ass on the plane."

Crew chief comes back, says he won't budge.  There is a timetable here, so dad heads back to the ramp, finds a very young LT and a stick of troopers just standing there.

Salutes were exchanged, "Get on the plane."  

response was to the effect that HIS general, an "Army" general, told him not to move until he returned.  No offense, but he's not moving.

"Son, you can be famous one of two ways tomorrow.  You can be the first guy to parachute onto Grenada, or you can be the first guy courtmartialed for refusing to go.  Make the call."

He got on.

<hijack off.>        
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Too bad they didn't lose one of your guns.

I made a government sponsored move and a half a dozen guns they were holding in storage (while we rented and looked for a house) couldn't be found when it came time to deliver the stored stuff.

After a few days of calling about it, very patiently, I told them in my best helpful voice that I would take care of calling the FBI to report them stolen, since it had been an interstate move.

They found them in about an hour.

Are you SURE you aren't missing any guns?

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Too bad they didn't lose one of your guns.

I made a government sponsored move and a half a dozen guns they were holding in storage (while we rented and looked for a house) couldn't be found when it came time to deliver the stored stuff.

After a few days of calling about it, very patiently, I told them in my best helpful voice that I would take care of calling the FBI to report them stolen, since it had been an interstate move.

They found them in about an hour.

Are you SURE you aren't missing any guns?

Just sayin'

Yeah, I wasn't about to ship 17 firearms (and one NFA weapon) with a moving company.
I would have had to go through a ton of ass-pain to ship them through the company.

What really pisses me off is that the company at most, will just pay for the stolen property. That still doesn't mean the people who STOLE the stuff in the first place will be prosecuted. They can do whatever the hell they please, and no one will stop them because the company will just pay for the losses.

That's BULLSHIT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
next time I move in CONUS, I'm boxing the shit up myself, renting a U-Haul, driving it myself, and hiring some strong backs on each end to help load/unload.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I moved furniture for  United Van lines, .... There should be a print out of all the  contents that went into  the boxes, that you claimed, .... Bed room , living room , fun room, ect.  

I have never ran into fun stuff,  if I did,  Rolled up into paper and put into a box for that room.  The crew I worked with were the same.   They were Pro's .    Sorry for your loss.

Did your stuff go to a warehouse , and transfered, or was it over the road shipping?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
WEe shipped firearms  over seas , they were well documented,  in the shippers own heavy box, lotts of paper work,  . I had no hand in that, I did my job,   Little kids room.    

Again sorry for your loss.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats why I did it myself on the last move. Mayflower moved my mother BOS to FL. Alot of crap became missing or damaged to some extent. The WHOLE moving crew looked ''suspect''.They were all day laborors. They loaded the truck, the drivers drove it. Then the ''extra'' charges to get it back off the truck were there. F'em !
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
next time I move in CONUS, I'm boxing the shit up myself, renting a U-Haul, driving it myself, and hiring some strong backs on each end to help load/unload.

No shit.  After reading this thread, I'd rather haul the shit myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top