Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:28:17 AM EDT
I occasionally would need to raise my car for small things like tire rotation. Is there anything wrong with PEP Boys, or Sears branded car jack?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Rolling, bottle, scissor?
What kind?
There are better rolling jacks for the money, but they will do if that is your only choice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Rolling, bottle, scissor?
What kind?
There are better rolling jacks for the money, but they will do if that is your only choice.

I didn't know there were 3 different kinds. What do you recommend and why?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a small floor(rolling) jack that I got from Walmart that I used around the house and kept it in the back of the suv.   It worked great and came in handy quite a few times.  I have a truck now so theres no room for an extra jack, so i'm stuck with that crap that came with the truck.  The last time I moved I gave it to my father and just have this one from Sears.  I really like the speed lift.  The one from walmar was half the size of the one from sears and I think it cost around $40 or $45.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one from Sears after my unpleasant experience with the factory one on my Buick. After trying the blue Sears version, I have decided to get a plug kit and an electric tire pump. Screw changing tires. It is all a bunch of crap if you do not know how to use it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a sears floor jack and stand combo about 20 years ago and they still works fine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a Hi-Lift. Then you can use it as a winch (if you read my article on how not to hand winch).
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi-Lifts are OK if you've got sturdy bumpers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The rolling floor jack in the link above is the best choice if you have the room. Not necessarily that one in particular, but one like it.
They are easier to use, faster to get the car up with less effort, and faster to take down.
Sam's sells a michellin one that  I like. It is a bit bigger. What you need to look for is weight it is rated for, max travel height, and lowest level.
The weight rating is obvious, so if you have an old heavy car, 2 tons maybe enough, but 4 tons would be better.
If you have a 4x4 that is lifted, the 24 inch travel of the small one probably won't even reach the frame.

If you have a lowered car, one that starts at 5 inches might not make it under the car.

Bottle jack would be my next choice. Problems with them are if you don't have a good surface to put it on, you have a wobbly car up in the air.

The rest are not worth the time imo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Walmart and some other places have tiny rolling floor jacks.  They would just about fit into a tackle box, generic fishing tackle box size is what I am thinking here.  They sell for maybe 20-30 bucks I guess.  And I hate them.  They are an improvement over what comes with cars adn trucks these days but they are narrow and when lifting a vehicle up and down you do get some movement if you lift it high enough.

I have a 3.5 ton floor jack that weighs in around 40-50lbs I guess, it is a big heavy sucker and most likely it is similar to some of the smaller 4 ton units but I have never seen a 4 ton unit.  The wider footprint of the wheels lets the jack be more stable and this is good if you jack something up on slightly uneven ground or whatever.

Bottle jacks have their place but they are not as conveinent to use as a nice floor jack.  I plan to pick up a bottle jack for jacking up my truck though since the bottle jack and some boards will be easier for me to make space for than a big ass floor jack.

Sams had only one floor jack last time I was there, and it was about the size of what I have now.  It cost maybe 80 bucks I guess.  

I have had my floor jack for over a decade and I expect to have it a few more decades with zero problems.

Having a cheap narrow jack makes me a bit nervous when jacking up a real vehicle with a real frame.  Think small general motors suv or most any pickup truck.  For something like a small honda civic I don't think it would be as big a deal.

With the jack you want jack stands, always use the jack stands.  We are only talking about maiming or killing you or perhaps you will be lucky and just drop your car on the ground and break it.

For pepboys or sears or walmart I would be looking at their big floor jacks.  I can pick mine up with one hand, I won't be carrying it 25 yards with one hand though.  The little jacks I am talking about I could carry 100 yards with one hand, heck the little jacks weigh less than a case of beer now that I think about it a bit.  All the stores have sales now and then and I know sears just buys jacks from someone and sticks their name on it so no biggy.

If you want to see some good jacks with explanations of the differences go to your local napa and ask them what they have in their catalog.  You will be seeing serious commercial duty stuff that is more than you want but you will learn quickly the good and bad about floor jacks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Bottle jacks are great for forcing open doors to houses or other secured areas. No other jack is quite as good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top