Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:43:46 AM EDT
For those that were wondering, this story was buried on page 22 of  the NY Post today.  

'HATE' KILLED NYU KID

By LARRY CELONA, ERIKA MARTINEZ and CYNTHIA R. FAGEN

NYPost, April 6, 2006 -- The NYPD hate-crimes unit is probing a report that a white NYU student killed by a car in Harlem was fleeing a gang of black teenagers screaming "Get whitey!" sources said yesterday.

If the report proves true, the violence could turn out to be an eerie replay in reverse of the infamous 1986 Howard Beach murder, where a black man was chased into traffic and killed by a group of white bigots.

The 20-year-old student, John Broderick Hehman, died yesterday, six days after the attack.

The sources said Hehman might have been targeted as a soft mark for robbers after the teenage gang spotted the caring urban-studies major handing pocket change to a wheelchair- bound man near the corner of 125th Street and Park Avenue Saturday night.

The gang of youths, some of them as young as 11, had been smoking pot inside a nearby Popeye's fast-food eatery at 8:30 p.m. when they spotted Hehman walking by and then stopping to help the handicapped man.

An anonymous caller later tipped the CrimeStoppers hot line that a group of youths screamed, "Get Whitey!" and ran toward him.

Witnesses said Hehman fled into traffic against the light and was hit by a Mercedes-Benz traveling east on 125th Street.

The 38-year-old driver remained at the scene and was not charged.

"When we heard the crash, we thought it was two cars - it was such a loud noise," said a witness.

"I couldn't believe it was a person," he said.

Hehman, known as "J.B.," had been in a coma since he was struck.

He died of massive head trauma at Harlem Hospital.

His sister, Marisa, said he had been walking to meet a friend when he was attacked.

His father, Manhattan investment banker Thomas Hehman, lives on the Upper East Side.

On a student Web site, Hehman joked his off-campus interests included "doing laundry."

Meanwhile, cops yesterday fanned out around the area where the attack occurred looking for witnesses and putting up fliers.

In the notorious Howard Beach case, John Lester, 17, confronted a group of three black men whose car had broken down in the predominately white Queens neighborhood.

Lester, shouting, "Kill the n-----s," chased one of the black men, Michael Griffith, onto the Belt Parkway where he was struck and killed by a car.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the murderers of a white guy to be charged with hate crimes unless he was gay. Such is the f"ed up state of our country today.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the murderers of a white guy to be charged with hate crimes unless he was gay. Such is the f"ed up state of our country today.

Sad but true.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Racist.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
And the black teenagers that chased him are still alive because?????

I can't wait till the NYPD gets ahold of them, I wish I could be there
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#5]
They should get charged with a hate crime, not that I believe hate crimes should exist but its about damn time someone besides white people get charged with them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]
BS story. We all know only white people can be racist.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:58:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, last night I gave some money to a fellow who needed help last night.

But if someone had decided to get this "whitey", they would have very quickly discovered that nice caring people who help others can sometimes help others while packing a 45 caliber pistol.

Now I want you guys to do something: I want you to remember this story and see how much the guys who actually KILLED a man get, and then contrast it with THIS story:

"Harris avoids civil rights prosecution
Student let off after incident at Virginia Tech
By Victoria Shelor, contributing writer
Posted on April 6, 2006

JMU freshman Karl Alexander Harris signed a plea bargain March 27 admitting that he wrote racist messages on the door of a Virginia Tech student during a visit to the school in November.

Harris, from Dumfries, wrote the message on a dry-erase board attached to the door of a female Virginia Tech student whose parents are from Bangladesh and whose name has not been released.

The written message included, among other racial epithets, “I hate you because you are stupid” and “You deserved to be lynched.”

Sunday, Harris said, “I regret the situation … I had been drinking with friends prior to the event. This does not reflect who I truly am and what I truly believe.”

Harris did not know the victim prior to the night of the incident, according to freshman David Perczewski, a friend of Harris’s.

“It’s something he is not proud of at all,” Perczewski said. “He’s seriously one of the most outgoing kids I know [and] has never had problems with anyone. There are plenty of kids that could stand for the same thing about his character.”

The message was written at around 3:30 a.m., after Harris, three other young men and the victim all rode the elevator to the 12th floor of Slusher Tower at Tech, where the victim lived. The four men were visiting a friend who also lived on that floor.

During the elevator ride, the four men began ringing the emergency bell in the elevator, according to the deposition.

At around 3 a.m. the victim went to the bathroom, where Harris and the three other men blocked the door to prevent her from entering. After asking them to move, the victim pushed her way through. When the victim was back in her room, the men knocked on her door and she asked them to leave her alone.

After Harris wrote the message on her door, the victim immediately called the police.

Harris told the Virginia Tech Police officer who detained him that he wrote the message because he was angry at the way the victim had spoke to him.

By signing the plea bargain, a pretrial diversion agreement was reached and Harris now avoids being prosecuted by the state on the civil rights violation against the Tech student.

The agreement defers his deposition for 18 months during which he will abide by certain regulations stipulated by the U.S. Attorney, John L. Brownlee and probation officer, William Sydnor Jr.

Harris must go through an alcohol treatment program and anger management program, a diversity training program and conduct 300 hours of community service during the 18-month period, after which the charges will be dropped from his record.

Harris is also prohibited from setting foot on the Virginia Tech campus and having any contact with the victim.

JMU’s disciplinary action toward Harris has not been disclosed under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FRPA), which is a federal law that keeps disciplinary records confidential without the student’s permission.

“JMU will not stand for this kind of behavior and language,” said Michael Way, Director of Judicial Affairs. “JMU has never had another civil rights incident like Harris’s, and I’ve been doing this for a long time. I think they have done just about everything they should do as far as punishment.”

Virginia Tech Police Chief Debra Duncan said, “The outcome of this situation sends a strong message that any kind of harassment will not be tolerated.”

The deposition also says that the victim fears for her life to leave her dormitory, has missed academic classes immediately following the incident and has considered leaving Tech permanently.

“I am very sorry for what happened that night and I apologize to the girl, the students at Virginia Tech and all the students at JMU for my actions,” Harris said. "

So.....when comparing the case of a group of potheads who killed a man who happens to be white with the case of a dumbass white kid who wrote some stuff on a dry erase board, whom do you think will be persued most ardently by the government authorities? Do you think the DAs in NYC will persue these "get whitey!" boys with the same zeal that prosecutors came down on the head of this idiot college kid?

Somehow I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
So if a group chases down a white person, they are "black teenagers".  But if the group doing the chasing is reversed then are known as "white bigots".

Ahhhh raceism...... alive and well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Further questions:

1. Would this be less of an offensive event if the youths had yelled: "Get Bobby!" instead of "get whitey"?

2. What if the victim was black?

3. How many convictions do you imagine the group of potheads had already?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:13:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Racist.

No, it's not racism if the attackers were black and the victim is white. In a case like this it's just a product of poor black children being left behind by the evil white society and they were just acting out (after smoking pot) because they've been repressed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
They are going to use "we wanted his autograph defense".  They only wanted the autograph of "whitey"...

"Cocaine.  It's a hell of a drug."  

Wait.....they were smoking pot, a non-violent drug.  Like others have said, if the victim wasn't gay, probably won't be charged with the hate crime statute.  Had it been the other way around, we all know how it would be played out right now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Its George W. Bush's fault.

You see, if he didnt hate black people, then they would have been in an afterschool program learning job skills.

Dope charge
Murder charge

They'll each plead down to 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Had it been the other way around, we all know how it would be played out right now.

I suppose we should expect white people rioting in the street chanting "no justice, no peace", right?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I understand everyone's disgust at this incident, I only ask that people try to keep any stereotyping out of the discussion.

Who is stereotyping?

Fine to talk about the duplicity of the media, more than ok to talk about the hypocricy of the professional race-baiters like Sharpton.  Just please confine comments to the individuals involved and not entire racial groups.  I see no problems in the thread yet, let's please keep the conversation on this level.

Yes, mommy....

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#16]
You want some real PC shit?

Here's the SAME STORY as reported by the NYT.

www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/nyregion/03hit.html

A college student was struck and injured by a car on Saturday evening when he darted into a busy Harlem intersection, a witness and a law enforcement official said yesterday. The official said the police were investigating reports that the victim was being chased.

The student, Broderick Hehman, 20, a junior at New York University, was in critical condition at Harlem Hospital Center yesterday, the police said. The driver of the car, a 38-year-old man who was not identified yesterday, remained at the scene of the accident. He was not charged.

The police were trying to determine why Mr. Hehman ran into the intersection, at 125th Street and Park Avenue. Witnesses told investigators that it appeared that Mr. Hehman was being chased by several young men, the law enforcement official said.

David Jones, a homeless man who sells used goods at the intersection, said he witnessed the accident, which took place about 8:30. "They were trying to beat him," he said. "Some kids were trying to beat him." Mr. Hehman, who ran east on 125th Street, turned south into the intersection, he said, and then was hit by the car, which the police said was a silver Mercedes-Benz.

An uncle, Andy Hehman, said his nephew was an urban studies major at N.Y.U. "He's a very warm person," he said at the hospital last night. "He never lets you get out of there with just a handshake. It always had to be a hug."

Notice what's missing?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:26:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Notice what's missing?

Any mention of race?

Imagine that!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A college student was struck and injured by a car on Saturday evening when he darted into a busy Harlem intersection, a witness and a law enforcement official said yesterday. The official said the police were investigating reports that the victim was being chased.

The student, Broderick Hehman, 20, a junior at New York University, was in critical condition at Harlem Hospital Center yesterday, the police said. The driver of the car, a 38-year-old man who was not identified yesterday, remained at the scene of the accident. He was not charged.

The police were trying to determine why Mr. Hehman ran into the intersection, at 125th Street and Park Avenue. Witnesses told investigators that it appeared that Mr. Hehman was being chased by several young men, the law enforcement official said.

David Jones, a homeless man who sells used goods at the intersection, said he witnessed the accident, which took place about 8:30. "They were trying to beat him," he said. "Some kids were trying to beat him." Mr. Hehman, who ran east on 125th Street, turned south into the intersection, he said, and then was hit by the car, which the police said was a silver Mercedes-Benz.

An uncle, Andy Hehman, said his nephew was an urban studies major at N.Y.U. "He's a very warm person," he said at the hospital last night. "He never lets you get out of there with just a handshake. It always had to be a hug."

Notice what's missing?

WOW, that is utterly amazing! Not one mention of race/color...shame on the media
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I understand everyone's disgust at this incident, I only ask that people try to keep any stereotyping out of the discussion.  Fine to talk about the duplicity of the media, more than ok to talk about the hypocricy of the professional race-baiters like Sharpton.  Just please confine comments to the individuals involved and not entire racial groups.  I see no problems in the thread yet, let's please keep the conversation on this level.

ETA... ooops, should watch where links from my Hometown forums take me... thought we were still in the NY forum.  I'm not a mod here, but I think the request is valid nonetheless.

No one is steriotyping. We're simply stating that the DA will not go after these kids like they would if the kids had been white and the victim had been black. It has nothing to do with race but everything to do with PCness.

Oh, and the media...we're pointing out how the media is trying to spin this as well
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Racism exists between every people group on earth but it doesn't entitle people to have more rights than another. I see more black racists in the media then I do any other group, it is silly and so is most of their society. Of course though this story is news so the paper reported it, but they pushed it into the annals of the paper because it does not advance their assault on American society because it shows that no matter who you are someone may hate you because of your race and that means no one should get more rights or entitlements than anyone else. Of course they care about entitlements because that is the same thing as welfare which is what you get from a comunist state and is guaranteed to keep you poor and stupid forever.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Notice what's missing?

Hahaha, the reality of these reporter exists only in their minds, and news like this lands a crushing blow to it every day.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Not surprising.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Notice what's missing?

WOW, that is utterly amazing! Not one mention of race/color...shame on the media

Disgusting.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:54:34 AM EDT
[#24]

'HATE' KILLED NYU KID

By LARRY CELONA, ERIKA MARTINEZ and CYNTHIA R. FAGEN

NYPost, April 6, 2006 -- The NYPD hate-crimes unit is probing a report that a white NYU student killed by a car in Harlem was fleeing a gang of black teenagers screaming "Get whitey!" sources said yesterday.

If the report proves true, the violence could turn out to be an eerie replay in reverse of the infamous 1986 Howard Beach murder, where a black man was chased into traffic and killed by a group of white bigots.

The 20-year-old student, John Broderick Hehman, died yesterday, six days after the attack.

The sources said Hehman might have been targeted as a soft mark for robbers after the teenage gang spotted the caring urban-studies major handing pocket change to a wheelchair- bound man near the corner of 125th Street and Park Avenue Saturday night.

The gang of youths, some of them as young as 11, had been smoking pot inside a nearby Popeye's fast-food eatery at 8:30 p.m. when they spotted Hehman walking by and then stopping to help the handicapped man.

An anonymous caller later tipped the CrimeStoppers hot line that a group of youths screamed, "Get Whitey!" and ran toward him.

Witnesses said Hehman fled into traffic against the light and was hit by a Mercedes-Benz traveling east on 125th Street.

The 38-year-old driver remained at the scene and was not charged.

"When we heard the crash, we thought it was two cars - it was such a loud noise," said a witness.

"I couldn't believe it was a person," he said.

Hehman, known as "J.B.," had been in a coma since he was struck.

He died of massive head trauma at Harlem Hospital.

His sister, Marisa, said he had been walking to meet a friend when he was attacked.

His father, Manhattan investment banker Thomas Hehman, lives on the Upper East Side.

On a student Web site, Hehman joked his off-campus interests included "doing laundry."

Meanwhile, cops yesterday fanned out around the area where the attack occurred looking for witnesses and putting up fliers.

In the notorious Howard Beach case, John Lester, 17, confronted a group of three black men whose car had broken down in the predominately white Queens neighborhood.

Lester, shouting, "Kill the n-----s," chased one of the black men, Michael Griffith, onto the Belt Parkway where he was struck and killed by a car.

Let's just see how many racist elements there are in this story.

1.  This crime was commited by a "black teenagers", while the 1986 crime was commited by "white bigots".  Why is it that the exact same crime when commited by people of European descent bigotry, but when commited by people of African descent simply teenagers?

2.  Why is it okay to print the racial epitath "whitey", while the equally offensive racial epitath "n-----s" has to be blanked out?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:55:32 AM EDT
[#25]
This will fade away.. just like the McKinney incident in Washington..

White politicians and the police have found that it is easier to pander to black racism than to confront it..
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Notice what's missing?

Any mention of race?

Imagine that!

Should news stories ever mention race?

Honestly?  If we are all equal, a news story should never report the race of the victim or offender in any crime.

(yes I completely know that if had been roles reversed the NY times would have mentioned race)
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone notice how they prefaced the whole thing with a reference to a white-on-black crime committed earlier, in order to lessen the impact of a black-on-white crime? They're basically saying it's ok that the lil' thuggggggzz (however many g's and z's you're supposed to use)did this because they're just paying "whitey" back for his millions of years of white oppression.  
New York City is a filthy cesspool of everything that makes our country less than what it could be.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
WTF does an "urban studies" major study? is this PC code speak for a self loathing white person trying to make reparations for slavery?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#29]
They can't be racist, they're black.  They are just fighting the power that be.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I am surprised they haven't mentioned a heart or health condition that led to the kids death...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Had this happened in my 'hood:

Them:  Get Whitey!

Them (2 second later):  Ow!  I been gatted!  Dayum...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Further questions:

1. Would this be less of an offensive event if the youths had yelled: "Get Bobby!" instead of "get whitey"?

2. What if the victim was black?

3. How many convictions do you imagine the group of potheads had already?

Yes; yes; YES!  Whatever it takes to get you to change your avatar!  Uh, those commercials make me sick!  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
WTF does an "urban studies" major study? is this PC code speak for a self loathing white person trying to make reparations for slavery?

I believe this counts as reparations.  He no longer owes anything to persons of African decent.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Had this happened in my 'hood:

Them:  Get Whitey!

Them (2 second later):  Ow!  I been gatted!  Dayum...

Medic: Oh, that was just a 9mm, here have a band-aid.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've never seen a black called a "bigot" in the media.

Never.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#37]
"Urban studies" major hanging around the slum handing out money like a good little leftist.  Winds up murdered by the poor little "urbanites" he was "studying".  This incident is a microcosm of our entire social services/welfare system in action.

[Lisp] He wath juth tho caring! [/lisp]

No, he was a brainwashed moron.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Anyone notice how they prefaced the whole thing with a reference to a white-on-black crime committed earlier, in order to lessen the impact of a black-on-white crime? They're basically saying it's ok that the lil' thuggggggzz (however many g's and z's you're supposed to use)did this because they're just paying "whitey" back for his millions of years of white oppression.  
New York City is a filthy cesspool of everything that makes our country less than what it could be.

I didn't see it that way at all - I saw it as being mentioned because the cases were eerily similar, and interesting because of the reversal.

In fact, mentioning the earlier white-on-black "hate crime" to me only strengthens the case for this being an equivalnet "hate crime" as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Well, last night I gave some money to a fellow who needed help last night.

But if someone had decided to get this "whitey", they would have very quickly discovered that nice caring people who help others can sometimes help others while packing a 45 caliber pistol.

Certainly not in NYC. "Law abiding" people there are kept in a disarmed condition.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
So if a group chases down a white person, they are "black teenagers".  But if the group doing the chasing is reversed then are known as "white bigots".

Im glad Im not the only one who noticed that
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#41]
There is no hope.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That one stood out for me as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted: The sources said Hehman might have been targeted as a soft mark for robbers after the teenage gang spotted the caring urban-studies major handing pocket change to a wheelchair- bound man near the corner of 125th Street and Park Avenue Saturday night.
Sounds like he failed his final exam in "urban studies".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top