Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 9:53:05 PM EDT
If you enlist for the marines, do you get to pick a specific branch (infantry, armor, artillery, etc..) you would like to join, or do they assign one for you?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to talk to a recruiter, but you can sign a contract for you're MOS.
If not they send you where they need you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You do not neccisarily get to pick your exact MOS, but you can pick the field you want to go in, for the most part.

For example.  I picked "Ground Electronics" at MEPS...and I ended up with the MOS of 2847 - Telephone Systems/Personal Computer Intermediate Repairer.  Thats exactly what I wanted, but I could have been given anything in the 2800 field.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on they will send you where they need you.  

A lot depends on how well you do on the ASVAB.  If you bomb the test, well, maybe you can drive trucks and find IED's or something, if you do well, you can usually pick from any MOS that you want.  The recruiter will not like this and will only try to give you a couple options to choose from.  Remember he is evaluated on how many bodies he ships, not on how good of a deal you think you are getting.  

Also, take into account how soon you want to go in.  Sometimes you will stay in the DEP longer until a specific job or school seat opens up.  Above all . . . do well on the ASVAB as it is the determining factor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
When I went into the USMC (late 70's) you could get a bonus ($2,500.00) for signing up to go combat infantry (grunts) or armor. I went grunts and ended up being a 0351 anti-tank assualtman. don't know if they still have the bonus thing, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You do not neccisarily get to pick your exact MOS, but you can pick the field you want to go in, for the most part.

For example.  I picked "Ground Electronics" at MEPS...and I ended up with the MOS of 2847 - Telephone Systems/Personal Computer Intermediate Repairer.  Thats exactly what I wanted, but I could have been given anything in the 2800 field.

On the other hand I chose 6000, Aircraft MAintenance, but was diverted into 7234, Tactical Radar Operator.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A lot depends on how well you do on the ASVAB.  If you bomb the test, well, maybe you can drive trucks and find IED's or something, if you do well, you can usually pick from any MOS that you want.  The recruiter will not like this and will only try to give you a couple options to choose from.  Remember he is evaluated on how many bodies he ships, not on how good of a deal you think you are getting.  

Also, take into account how soon you want to go in.  Sometimes you will stay in the DEP longer until a specific job or school seat opens up.  Above all . . . do well on the ASVAB as it is the determining factor.

ASVAB?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ASVAB?

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.  Its a test.  An easy test.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ASVAB?

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.  Its a test.  An easy test.

+1--took mine with my entire junior class in high school
"dumbest", easiest test i ever took....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Ha, Ha, Ha...that's a good one...sure, you get to pick all you want...I went in,  picking an MOS,  and they promised me a duty station...none of which materialized...
it is relative to how you do on  the tests during and after basic; then you get assigned to a school...the whole thing is subject to change at any moment.  the MOS's have quotas that might be filled by the time you get to that point in your training.  If you are on the ball and pretty smart, you probably will get what you want...if you are average or below like most people, just hope for the best.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You need to talk to a recruiter, but you can sign a contract for you're your MOS.
If not they send you where they need you.

A contract is a mere soft promise on the initial enlistment. You can sign to be the General's aide & still end up being a cook or motor-t driver.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My enlistment contract stated "Infantry Rifleman" on it as that was what I wanted to do.

DO NOT go "open contract" no matter what. If it's not on your contract it aint happening, period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top