Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:46:13 PM EDT
Going on a cruise next week to jamaica/cayman/cozumel. Never been on an excursion to these islands. The boat offers them aand I found some web sites that offer them. anyexperience with any of them?

Or can i just get of the ship and there will be excursion companies around the port?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok after you board your ship and set sail look thru the cruise itinerary and figure out which excursions you WANT to do at each port of call.  Then go down to the pursers desk and register for the Excursions you want.  Its the easiest and most likely safest way to have fun.  When in Jamaica STAY WITH THE TOUR AND YOUR GROUP.  DO NOT repeat DO NOT go out on your own in that place.  Have fun stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Going on a cruise next week to jamaica/cayman/cozumel. Never been on an excursion to these islands. The boat offers them aand I found some web sites that offer them. anyexperience with any of them?

Or can i just get of the ship and there will be excursion companies around the port?

No. sorry can't help you
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I went on one like you. Same places. This is a good time of the year too.  Dive in Grand Cayman, it is incredible.

Have fun. Dont drink the local microbrews.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
When you get to the caymen islands go to sting ray island that is the shit. Your on a sand bar over a mile off shore and you hop out of the boat and there is hundreds of sting rays everywhere. The water is about shoulder deep on an average person they supply the food to feed them. You can grab them and hold them they are awesome creatures if I ever go back I will go again.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 to the above advice.  You can sign up for the tours while on the ship, but do it right after you board.  And absolutely don't go out on your own.  Jamaica is a very dangerous place.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I did the same trip on Carnival in 1983. Ocho Rios, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. In Ocho Rios we hiked up Dunn River Falls, went to some botanical garden then an overlook in a jungle clearing. As soon as we stopped the jungle came alive and locals swarmed out to peddle junk. Nose candy anyone?

Cozumel then was fairly quiet. We wandered around then hiked along the road out of town to some beach. I recall it as the Cozumel Death March.

The final stop, at Georgetown, Grand Cayman was the nicest. Went to Seven mile beach and had BBQ turtle and rum punch. Then some more rum punch... Best part of the trip.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
As stated above, Jamaica is a very dangerous place! DO NOT leave your group. Some poeple may be nice but most are money hungry. If you stay idle at one place long enough, some locals WILL offer drugs.he
Cozumel.....well im not sure....i always take the boat ride to the main land for excursions. Cozumel is mostly but not limited to shopping. If you do go to the main land, keep a lookout. Its not anywhere near as bad a Jamiaca but kidnappings rarely DO happen. Again, Stay with your group.

The best place to visit is Grand Cayman! Like everyone else mentioned above, go on the stingray excursions awesome experience. This is the only place where i would say that its ok to venture out on your own. The locals are VERY VERY VERY friendly. The police don't even carry firearmshock.gif.
If you want to go to seven mile beach just ask a local about the taxi. Basically theyre small vans with orange license plates in the front and backs that you wave down and ask to go to the beach. Its more like a city bus. They pass by every 3 minutes. They cost $2.50 per person, (pay when you're at the destination). Seven mile beach is the most beautiful beach i have ever seen!
Remember, the currency is like $1.25 American for every Cayman "Dollar". I paid $40.00 US for a fish and chips lunch  for myself and the wife Have

If you need more specific info you can shoot me a private message.

Khem
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
We climbed Dunns River falls and as others have said, prepare yourself to be solicited to buy drugs in Jamaica. We did a jeep excursion which was awesome. For about $60 you go on a jeep excursion around mexico and they take you dune buggying at a beach. We had a 2000 jeep (brand new at the time). Beat the shit out of it. It lasted about 4 hours and midway through they have an oceanside lunch setup (included) on the beach. BY FAR it was the best excursion we did on that particular cruise
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#9]
cozumel has a dune buggy ride on the far side of the island (their shop is right downtown)  it takes you across the island and onto a dirt/sand road.  then through the jungle anss to some aztec ruins.  Was lots of fun- and you get to booze while driveing off road.  Our buggy was a PILE.  you could turn the wheel about half way before it turned  but we had fun- you stop on a beach (ironicaly littered with cruise garbage) but uninhabited as far as you can see.  It was like 70 a person.  make sure you dont "ride" with another set of people- have your own car.  If you have to ride- make sure you at least get to drive the 2nd half (trip back) and pay much less.

If you eat on cozumel- check out La mission II- kinda in middle of town- I think you can walk there.  Avoid the noisy crammed Hard rock/places by the pier-every cruise person from the ships go there right before it leaves.

note-theu also have jeep and 4wheeler rides that i think go to the same jungle trip- so any will probably be similar

Jamaica- buddy was there not too long ago- guess its just a shart hole and the ocals woult leave you alone.  was there only once a long time ago- I did not like it.  but dont let me stop ya from having fun!!

My favorite island so far is St Maarten
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The wife and I did the snorkeling excursion where you take a sailboat out (I can't spell catamaran right now.) It was well worth the money although I'm sure we could have got it cheaper had we not booked it through the boat.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#11]
If I pay the premium, will you make me your travel life insurance beneficiary ?

//Just kidding after all the hyped news stories on cable news.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Wife and I went to Cozumel on a cruise.   We did not have all day to spend, so we took the 6 hour excursion to a mini resort--Playa Mia.

They took us on air conditioned buses, dropped us off and we had a great time!

It was only $55 per person, lunch, beach, alcohol, water toys, beach chairs, etc...all included in the price.

Beautiful beaches too!  

We would definitely go back!

We also went to Grand Cayman, did the snorkling thing near the dock area.  Dived on a reef and a ship wreck--great experience and cheap too!  I am kinda cheap if you can't tell!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top