Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 10:56:23 AM EDT
I have a minor case of what I am told is called GURD (might be mispelled) long story short occasionally when I am eating I have to puke it all up.  Feels like a gas build up in the back of my throat like I have to belch but cannot.

Last night this hapened again but another occurrence that has never happened before happened.  I started bleeding from the nose, at least a couple of handfuls of fresh non-mucus laden blood.  I just got over a sinus infection about a week ago, leftovers?  Never had that much blood come out of my nose before just thought it wierd, was not painful though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I would get that checked out if I were you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I would make an appointment with your doctor.  I don't think its serious enough to go to the ER, but you need to see a doc about it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The bloods probably from your infection.  Although when my GERD was bad, I did have enough irritation in my esoph. to hawk up a little blood once.

I also had the feeling of choking and had to heave, usually only on the first bite/swallow.  If I wanted 20 minutes I was good to go again without a problem the rest of the meal.  Very disturbing though.

I take Prilosec OTC regularly now and am A.OK.  When I first went to the doc, he prescribed Prilosec and Reglan to help with the heaving.  I never took the Reglan though because it looked like bad stuff and the Prilosec relieved all heaving problems.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
With the gurd not much they can do, it does not happen often enough to warrant meds either once every two weeks maybe.  The blood is my source of curiosity.  Also I stopped coughing up blood from the sinus infection last week and did not cough up any last night.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
GERD-Gastro-Esophogeal Reflux Disease

It can lead to cancer in the esophogus if not taken care of, so go see your doctor. I take 300mg of Zantac at bedtime to control mine. Before we got it controlled, I spent lots of time on the bathroom floor hunched over the toilet, then sleeping sitting up.

Stop eating chocolate.
Raise the head of your bed 6".
Stop eating and drinking three hours before you recline at all.
No carbonated beverages.

That's a good start until you see your ENT.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
With the gurd not much they can do, it does not happen often enough to warrant meds either once every two weeks maybe.  The blood is my source of curiosity.  Also I stopped coughing up blood from the sinus infection last week and did not cough up any last night.

You should consider that there can be damage to your esoph. from GERD without you getting symptoms.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that what it's called, gerd? I experience similar symptoms every now and again, but I had no idea there was a name for it. The last time it happened, I couldn't finish my lunch because I kept feeling like I was going to hurl it back up into the fry basket in front of me. Later that evening I saw a commercial for some miracle pill that cures the problem (of course the side effects will keep you from going out in public ie: diahreha, painful gas, halucinations etc., which thereby relieves you of any worry of horking your lunch back on the table in front of your friends...so I guess that is a type of cure for the problem?). I've always been afraid that some day a pill would come out to cure symptoms invented by a pharmecutical company in order to maintain their employment. When I saw this commercial I thought 'holy crap, I have that problem, is it more than stress or just wierdness with my body?'. Not wanting to become like so many others who talk to their doctor about every little thing that may warrant a new prescription I decided to try and cure myself. I did this by promptly going to subway and ordering a footlong meatball sub. I ate the sub in its entirety all the while thinking to myself 'I don't wanna have a made up problem'. I finished my 12" sammich and followed it with 2 pints of guiness. I haven't had the symptoms since, but now that I know that there is an actual name for it...I think I'll be fine because I know I can eat a footlong sub and a quart of beer without feeling bad afterward.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
???
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Blood = bad

Goto doctor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Blood = bad

Goto doctor.

Likely the sinus infection leftovers?  Guesses?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#11]
You could have something obstructing your esophagus.  The food can pile up behind a large piece, typically a piece of unchewed meat, etc until it fills your esophagus with food.

It can be due to a tumor, varicose veins/varices(often associated with heavy alcohol consumption/cirrhosis) or more likely scarring from GERD. Other potential causes as well.

You should probably get scoped.
And then remember to chew your food thoroughly.

May not be it at all but it is what I would rule out at this point given your story.

In any event see your doc and explain your symptoms. Not much reason to not investigate this further. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blood = bad

Goto doctor.

Likely the sinus infection leftovers?  Guesses?

Likely from the trauma of vomiting given your story. No guarantees though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You could have something obstructing your esophagus.  The food can pile up behind a large piece, typically a piece of unchewed meat, etc until it fills your esophagus with food. Feels like a large burp that does not want to go.  A gas buildup of sorts, soon as I injest fluid after it starts it comes up quick.  Coinsidentally I am usually eatin red meat almost always when it happens?

It can be due to a tumor, varicose veins/varices(often associated with heavy alcohol consumption/cirrhosis) or more likely scarring from GERD. Other potential causes as well. I seldom drink more than two at a time and never to excess.  No lumps.

And then remember to chew your food thoroughly.  Being mindful to eat more slowly, seems to help.

May not be it at all but it is what I would rule out at this point given your story.

In any event see your doc and explain your symptoms. Not much reason to not investigate this further. Good luck.

Any thoughts on the large nosebleed though?  The gerd is bothersome but it was not my main concern, the blood flow out of the nose while vomiting was.  Sinus leftovers, seemed to fresh?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You could have something obstructing your esophagus.  The food can pile up behind a large piece, typically a piece of unchewed meat, etc until it fills your esophagus with food.

Feels like a large burp that does not want to go.  A gas buildup of sorts, soon as I injest fluid after it starts it comes up quick.  Coinsidentally I am usually eatin red meat almost always when it happens?

No change in MO at this point.

It can be due to a tumor, varicose veins/varices(often associated with heavy alcohol consumption/cirrhosis) or more likely scarring from GERD. Other potential causes as well.
I seldom drink more than two at a time and never to excess.  No lumps.

Lumps? WTF does that have to with anything????
Not probably esophageal varices then.

Being mindful to eat more slowly, seems to help.

No doubt.

Any thoughts on the large nosebleed though?  The gerd is bothersome but it was not my main concern, the blood flow out of the nose while vomiting was.  Sinus leftovers, seemed to fresh?

As above.

Aspirin intake?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#15]
every time i throw up my nose bleeds and every vein in my face pops so i look like a damn red balloon. and my eyes go blood red too. the pressure in my head is insane. i always feel like im about to explode and have headaches for hours afterwards. luckily it only happens if i eat something bad or got the flu
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feels like a large burp that does not want to go.  A gas buildup of sorts, soon as I injest fluid after it starts it comes up quick.  Coinsidentally I am usually eatin red meat almost always when it happens?

I seldom drink more than two at a time and never to excess.  No lumps.

Lumps? WTF does that have to with anything????
Not probably esophageal varices then.

Being mindful to eat more slowly, seems to help.

No doubt.

As above.

Aspirin intake?

Nill.  Aspirin or painkillers as a general rule do not work for me.  If im in any kind of pain generally I just have to suffer through it.  Immunity to things like codine/codone or others is a another wierd thing, I have no recreational habits or vices yet I seem to have a insanely high natural tolerance.  They never seem to help so I just don't bother taking them.  As a general rule I am healthy I think I have seen a doctor twice since I was in 5th grade.  Spider bite and sinus infection, neither recently.  I just seldom ever get sick and when I do it is generally gone in a day or two.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
every time i throw up my nose bleeds and every vein in my face pops so i look like a damn red balloon. and my eyes go blood red too. the pressure in my head is insane. i always feel like im about to explode and have headaches for hours afterwards. luckily it only happens if i eat something bad or got the flu

I get redfaced and bloodshot too, perhaps just a freak occurrence.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#18]
can i have your guns?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
can i have your guns?

No.  Post whoring are we?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
You are worried about the nosebleed. I am not.
You are not worried about your difficulty passing food. I am.

IOW your priorities are likely wrong.

Now, I may be incorrect but if I am right you have a narrowing of your esophagus and it is important to understand why.

The nosebleed is likely just due to the trauma of vomiting, etc. It should be investigated when you are seen of course to be sure but it is likely not a big deal. Your other problem could be.

Take it for what it is worth and remember you are paying nothing for this advice.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Now if you were bleeding from your mangina, I could help.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Now if you were bleeding from your mangina, I could help.

Well, there's plenty of  that around here.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Now, I may be incorrect but if I am right you have a narrowing of your esophagus and it is important to understand why.

The nosebleed is likely just due to the trauma of vomiting, etc. It should be investigated when you are seen of course to be sure but it is likely not a big deal. Your other problem could be.

Take it for what it is worth and remember you are paying nothing for this advice.

Advice is appreciated and heeded.  Don't mean to seem ingrateful, sorry if I did.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Advice is appreciated and heeded.  Don't mean to seem ingrateful, sorry if I did.

Not at all.
Just making the point it is just internet advice and if you were seeing me as a pt I would have more questions and the ability to examine you. It limits what I can do and how I make a diagnosis. In all honesty though, regardless of what the problem is, it is MO that is what needs to be done.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top