Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 4:00:52 PM EDT
I think I read about this here before.  I have several old cellphones I originally got through work.

Free Cell Phones for Emergency 911 Use

Many people buy cell phones to keep in the car for "emergency use only." They often pay rates such as $15/month, one-time sign-up $150 service fees. These fees are NOT necessary.

You can use a used cell phone to call 911 without paying anything at all. Cell phones are regulated by the FCC. The FCC requirements state that ALL cell phones, regardless of the status of service (or even the lack of service,) shall be able to dial 911. Whether you have a telephone number or not, whether you have signed up for service or not, the cell phone can connect to 911.

There are two kinds of cell phones: analog (the old, thick cell phones) and digital (the new, slim phones.) Analog phones are out of fashion because the signal wasn't very clear. But they still work. This means that you can buy an old analog phone for $10 or less at yardsales or the small shops that sell cell phones and pagers. Insist on buying it without service. Be sure to get a cigarette-lighter adapter cord with it (you can buy these at any cell phone store, Target, Walmart, and so on.) You can also buy cell phones without service at www.emergencycellphones.com or eBay.com. Used analog and digital phones sell for less than $25.

In many areas, you can place other calls as well. Test this by dialing a friend's number and see what happens. You may get an operator who will offer to place the call for you and bill your credit card. The call may cost as much as $3/minute. You can use this if you have a flat tire or similar.

Note about Reprogramming: In some areas, if you press 0 (zero) or dial a number, an operator will answer and ask if you want to charge the call to your credit card. In other areas, no connection will be made. If you want to be able to call roadside assistance, AAA, the police, or a friend, then it's possible to have the cell phone reprogrammed. The reprogramming enables the cell phone to make credit card calls. If you test your phone in your area and it works, and you plan to travel around the country, you may end up in an area where cell phones can't make credit card calls. www.emergencycellphones.com can reprogram phones for about $30. (I have no connection to that company.)

Keep the phone in your car under the seat (not in the glove compartment, where things are often stolen.) You don't need to recharge it or keep it charged. Just plug the phone into your car's cigarette lighter. Just plug it in, turn it on, dial 911, and it will work.

Abby, a 12-year old in Maryland, started a project to collect used cell phones. You can do this in your local church, community center, at work, or your favorite gathering spot.

www.andreas.com/faq-cell911.html

Comments?

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I did for awhile once I got off the contract I was on. Just left it sitting in the center console always on the charger. Now I have a Net10 phone that costs $30 every two months for 300 minutes, good deal. I still keep the other inactive digital phone in the truck though for that very reason.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I donate our old phones to the battered women program.  They will give them to women who have restraining orders on men and or reports of being stalked.

You can contact your local PD or Sheriff's Dept to find such a support group or cell program.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep one of the old high powered bag phones in my work truck for 911 only.  It gets out when the new "wonder phones" can't get a signal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, I keep an old bag phone in my secondary vehicle just in case
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
nope
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have recycled two of my newer cell phones to my 80+ yr old grandparents...small enough for their pockets...and 911.  Grandpa still traps gophers for local farmers, and Granny is active in the Senior Citizens club....
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two I usually keep in my SHTF room.  I just charged them up again.

Of course, I have a company (free one) phone and I have the leash phone for the wife.  We won't discuss who is at which end of the leash......................
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
No fuckin signal here to do any good if you had one...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top