Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:35:42 AM EDT
I have been a 'seasonal' feeder (semi) driver at UPS for the last year and a half. I work 2-4 months, laid off 2-4 months, repeat. In this 1.5 yrs they have went through a good 50 drivers. Some last a few days, some a few weeks, some don't even make it past the training. Out of all of these people I am the top guy. I have been there the longest and seniority is everything.

When I was hired I was told if I stuck it out I would get hired full time. I have put my life on hold trying for this. I don't feel like going into details about all of the shit I have had to put up with, the point is I did. I have went above and beyond the call of duty so many times I couldn't count. Whatever it takes.

January, February, and March are slow. The bottom 50 or so drivers get laid off. No big deal to me. I was called in January, just a few weeks after getting laid off and told I would be called back some time in March. This time as a full time employee. 5 guys total are getting hired. I have to put in 30 days and I will be in the Union.

I started back on Monday the 20th. I go in and there are 2 guys ahead of me on the seniority board. WTF? I was hired, trained, and driving before any of the other 4 guys ever took a piss test. I think one of the guys only worked this past peak, less than 2 months.

These 2 guys will effect my whole career. They will get first pick on start times, jobs ran, vacation, bid jobs, even whether or not I work that day or not. I am so pissed.

I have an inside source that let me in on why UPS decide to fuck me. As of December they told me we probably would not be called back till next winter. I was told 'don't pass up any other opportunities waiting for UPS, because it probably wasn't going to happen.' Turns out a ton of package car drivers want to dive semi so they get first shot. Thanks a lot for lying to me for over a year so I would do your shit work. Anyway I had another job opportunity come up. I told the top supervisor in advance and I took myself 'out of service' that day for the job interview/testing. UPS decided to fuck me on my seniority because I was doing exactly what they told me to do, not passing on any more opportunities.

The union stewards said they can do nothing now. I have to get my 30 days in and they will see what they can do but probably nothing.

Now I am number 3. I was called in on Monday at 5 PM for a shit job shifting in the yard. Guy number one is leaving after a day run. He sees me and makes a smart ass comment 'oh your just coming in' and laughs. I wanted to beat his fat fucking face in so bad.

I should be so happy now that all I have worked for came to pass. Instead I am so angry I want to quit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Find another job, get hired, and then go tell UPS to go fuck itself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]

IIRC, Every job I've had I had to start at the bottom.  If it's not worth waiting for, move along.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Been there done that If they told you don't pass, on other oppert. listen to them they are famous for doing this kinda shit. VERY FEW PEOPLE get hired full time. My neighbor was #1 office guy when I worked there and he said you have to stick it out 1-2-sometimes 3 years before full-time.....same as you I got sick and tired of being laid off luckily I got another union job way better than ups. I see your in OH if your around Moraine I might have a tip for you IM me if you want.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Truck drivers are in such demand right now, that I can't for the life of me understand why you would put up with this kind of crap. There is absolutely no reason why you should ever be laid off in this industry, for any reason. If you're willing to go OTR, there's no reason why you shouldn't be pulling down at least $50k, and there's enough work to guarantee that you'll be driving as long as you and the law can handle.

There's no reason to put up with that, given the current state of the industry.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The Union crap is my problem!
Ask CF (Consolidated Freightways) about  a Union, they fucked up so bad the CEo started Conway.
Ask GM about what a union can do ?
Suck it up and deal with it or go to work for a NON union company.

Or do like I did and just go buy your own rig
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the wonderful world of unions and their ridiculous seniority clauses.  There are many good things about being in a union, but they don't come without strings attached.  I know exactly where you're coming from because I'm a union employee too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#8]
If it is the union screwing with you, get the senority dates of all involved to include those who "jumped" ahead of you. If you are 100% sure that you have more senority, then hire a lawyer familiar with union regulations and sue the UNION. Most unions are unfortunately crooked as hell anymore and play games all the time with their members depending who they like, and who will suck their ego dick more.

Yeah, I'm union, but I don't play their games and my paycheck does not come from them. I see the same BS from mine all the time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Truck drivers are in such demand right now, that I can't for the life of me understand why you would put up with this kind of crap. There is absolutely no reason why you should ever be laid off in this industry, for any reason. If you're willing to go OTR, there's no reason why you shouldn't be pulling down at least $50k, and there's enough work to guarantee that you'll be driving as long as you and the law can handle.

I see your point BUT......If you do get in at UPS your making $70,000 or better home everyday. I had the same thoughts on Unions Until I became a Teamster after driving for non-union companies for 10 plus years Teamsters are the only way to go. The big wait and see they put you through there is their weeding out process they want to be 110% sure your not going to be a problem because once they do hire you they are stuck with you for the next 30 years
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

NOT just starting out!!!
I drove from 87-99, back to college ( Degree in CIS) became a CF / DBA/ sysAdmin, hated "cube farm hell" and went back to driving(only this time bought one) just after 9/11. THe Companys wanted me to start back out at 32K a year ( ) so I went and got my own.
Trucking and drug dealing have ALOT in common!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Move on. ASAP.
Once they know they can dick you and you will just bend over, they will keep doing it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
destroy some libtards package or something to hold you over till you get your union card, then file a grevience.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I will have been working for UPS 6 years this June.  I am still part-time and a full-time job in my hub is about a 10-11 year wait.  I'm not sure about package car drivers being able to jump ahead of current feeder drivers, but check out browncafe.com and ask there.  There are all sorts of UPSers that post there including retirees, drivers, part-timers, and managers.  Someone there should have a better explanation of what has happened to you.  Goodluck!

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
destroy some libtards package or something to hold you over till you get your union card, then file a grevience.

Union card!  After 6 years I still don't have one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top