Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
OK guys what do you think?

I've got to take a short trip (couple days) a few states over. Just far enough for it to be a long drive and just close enough to barely justify a flight.

I also need to take a SMG and a handgun with me. Zombie Eradication training.

Anyway I fly with handguns all the time. TSA requires you declare it, open the case for inspection and then lock it before checking it in. I've got a nice aluma style case that holds both my MP5 and SIG nicely but I'm not looking forward to the potential TSA reaction to a SMG. It's legal and everything like that but I've had one or two TSA guys act like my SIG was a grenade (though it rarely happens).

So should I just fly and look at them like they are retards if they get freaked out? Or should I skip the potential hassle altogether and just road trip it (which will add and extra day or two)?

The only thing I'm worried about is some retard causing a ruckus which will result in me being delayed and missing a flight or connection.

Also calling ahead and giving them a heads up would be a waste of time with the tards at my local airport.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
while i'm sure it will make for an incredibly entertaining GD post....

is it worth the hassle if the doofuses decide to confiscate the gun?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
its worth the story that will be told later.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
People must know. I'm sure not everybody drives to Gunstock/Knob Creek/etc
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just don't bring fire.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't think they can actually do that. That is the whole point of declaring the firearm upon check in. I'm just worried about the doofuses having to "call their supervisor" for the next hour to figure out the entire thing is legal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont tell them its full auto. They probably wont be able to tell anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
you should be fine. if they hassle you just sue them under FOPA like the Utah guy who got hassled by the Port Authority
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to vote that you should fly.

But that's only because I want to read your post afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think they can actually do that. That is the whole point of declaring the firearm upon check in. I'm just worried about the doofuses having to "call their supervisor" for the next hour to figure out the entire thing is legal.

yes, but do THEY know that they can't do that?  of course it would all get straightened out in the end, but it would be a huge hassle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you should be fine. if they hassle you just sue them under FOPA like the Utah guy who got hassled by the Port Authority

Does the FOPA apply to NFA items? I thought forms had to be filled out to take across state lines.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would probably just drive.

I've heard of the TSA having sticky fingers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
tape it, so we all can watch!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does the FOPA apply to NFA items? I thought forms had to be filled out to take across state lines.

i thought it applied to all legally owned firearms, and that you only needed to do paperwork if you were moving to your destination, but i'm not too clear on that
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got the NFA and state lines stuff covered already.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Just show up six hours early, you'll be fine.  Or you can pre-announce your arrival.  That'd be fancy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get there extra, extra, extra early.

Personally, I can never pass up a road trip...if I have a trustworthy car that I don't mind putting miles on (which I don't atm).  Have you priced the differance between renting a car for a couple of days + gas vs. a plane ticket and screaming babies?

EDIT: I want to read the followup post if you fly, though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've had one or two TSA guys act like my SIG was a grenade (though it rarely happens).

You would think they could tell a SIG from a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#18]
N T any nfa stuff needs a form sent in to the batf before it can cross state lines, it can be faxed or mailed in.  basicly it is to make sure the nfa item is going somewhere it is allowed. any normal non nfa guns can just go with no paper work
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've had one or two TSA guys act like my SIG was a grenade (though it rarely happens).

You would think they could tell a SIG from a Glock.

BOOOM!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That's after you spend five nights in jail?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Drive.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Just curious, where does your trip take you to?  (Just wondering how long your drive would be.)

When I bring my firearms on an airline, I print out TSA's rules as well as the airline's rules.  Keep a copy of each on your person as well as with the firearms.  

I lock the actions of each, then lock the gun case as well and put the gun case within my suitcase.  If I'm bringing firearms, I'll arrive 3 hours prior to flight, just to allow for any unforeseen delay.  If you can travel without ammo, it might help you since you're limited to how much you can bring and how it must be packed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If they lose your luggage, even if you get insurance money, that is one fewer transferrable in the registry

Don't chance it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Went to a mp5 school hosted by Tom from HKPRO. He brought his mp5s and had no problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Just don't do like a certain instructor and leave it in the back of a cab.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I've travelled with rifles and pistols several times and I would never risk putting a $10,000+ gun in the hands of Airport personel...

One of the things I've flown with was a Kahr Thompson in a guitar case.

The funny thing is, when I arrived at my destination - they had taken my case off of the plane and put it with the rest of the guitars to be picked up.

It didn't get banged up on the carousel, it got priority treatment with the rest of the guitars.

ETA:

WE NEED PICTURES!!!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

So should I just fly and look at them like they are retards if they get freaked out? Or should I skip the potential hassle altogether and just road trip it (which will add and extra day or two)?

Yes, yes you should.

But then again, a good road trip ios hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I would not worry about it too much. I have flown with my ar and pistol and the max
amount of ammo in my wifes, daughters, and my check on bags and didn't get much
of a reaction from the people at the check in counter.  The scary part came was
while we were at the gate waiting in Detroit. The airline counter called my name,
and when I went up, there was a guy and girl looking very concerned and
the guy asks me in a real low voice "Sir, where are your firearms?" I about shit.
I laughed at him and said "Well I would think you know that better than
I do seeing that it is required that I declare them at time of check in, and they are
obviously not in my possession right now!"  Pretty fucking funny, and this is post
9/11. Needless to say that they ended up confirming the location of my guns, and
stopped looking at me like a terrorist.  So hopefully you have no troubles or at least
a good laugh at other peoples ignorance.  As long as you follow the rules you'll be
fine.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Nah, you should put it in a plain brown kraft paper wrapped box.   Mail it to yourself with stamps.   Make sure the return address has something like Abdul Azziz, 1234 Bomb Way, KaBoomistan, C4

I'd check at www.subguns.com and ask over there.  More than a few guys fly to Knob Creek and can give some pointers on flying with high $$ firearms.

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Chances are TSA won't make you open your bag.  It has been like that for me for quite a while.  Months ago, they looked every time.  Maybe they are actually looking for things they should be, rather than properly declared firearms.  Gotta hope, anyway......
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
As long as its not one of those mysterious Glock 7's, your good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Chances are TSA won't make you open your bag.  It has been like that for me for quite a while.  Months ago, they looked every time.  Maybe they are actually looking for things they should be, rather than properly declared firearms.  Gotta hope, anyway......

Yeah but half the fun of the job is rummaging thru peoples shit looking for sex toy and, etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Just put it in your briefcase

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Taggage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I wish I had problems like this. You lucky bastard, I hate you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#38]
just ship it via ups or fed ex so you arrive the same time with it
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Last time I flew the guy almost ignored the SIG and made a point of patting down the foam around it in the case. I almost asked him what he could possibly be looking for but I didn't have the time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#40]
The thought of flying with a firearm gives me the shudders.  Especially if the firearm is expensive or you had to go through alot of red tape to get it.

With the TSA idiots who may confiscate your firearm and there is nothing you can do about it, to the baggage handlers who may walk off with it, or the chance your bag may just be "lost".

I'd rather drive than take the risk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top