Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
... Serenity needed to make 85 million, but only made about 35 million...

Whedon has been quoted (accurately or not, I don't know ) as saying that DVD sales and pay-cable/satellite response could still put them into the sequel arena if strong enough, in much the way that sales of the series on DVD played into the studio's decision to green-light Serenity.  I won't hold my breath, but I still hope it happens...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of any right off the bat that only ran a few episodes (I leave my TV on for noise but don't really watch it a lot).  However, since someone already mentioned the original Star Trek, I'd add Northern Exposure to the list.  I always enjoyed the kooky characters and interesting stories on that show.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Captain Nice

My Mother, the Car

Quark

Sledge Hammer!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Futurama will be coming back.

According to a thread over on SA, Billy West spilled the beans that 26 new episodes were in the works. Suspicion is that it would follow the Family Guy model of an episode being shown on Fox first then shown on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim a few days later.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Futurama
Seinfeld (not really cancelled)
X-Files (not really cancelled)
Coupling (UK)
The Office (UK version)

And thank god that Family Guy is back
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tour of Duty

ETA: Space: Above and Beyond

+1

oh, and that show combat missions that was on USA I believe?  It was fairly interesting...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Married With Children.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Tour of Duty I liked that show.

Then there was the Sentinel (I think that was the name of the show) Where the guy had altered vison and hearing. I dont know it wasnt too bad...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Werewolf

+1 to whoever said Salvage 1
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Soldier of Fortune, Inc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Firefly
Futurama
Dave Chappelle
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Sports Night was good... more recently was Love Monkey, it was kinda girly but had alot of good old music references.  Starved was also pretty funny.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Nowhere Man

Star Trek: Enterprise, was just starting to get good when they canceled it.

Battlestar Galatica
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Titus, Chappelle Show, Tough Crowd.

Patrice O'Neal (or however you write his name) is damn funny on Web Junk 20 though
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I think it was called Brimstone. It was on fox, and was about a cop saving people from the Devil. great show ,sadly it lasted all of one season.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Matt Waters
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Two shows comes to mind...

Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I forgot about Titus. That was a great show.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Did they really cancel Fear Factor? If they did that sucks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I forgot about Titus. That was a great show.

+1
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Law and Order... I hate this SVU and Criminal Intent shit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Farscape
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Greed.

The one where Jay Mohr was the Hollywood movie exec. That show was funny as hell.

With Iliana Douglas?  Yes, that was GREAT, and cancelled after only 3-4 episodes aired.  

-Troy

It was called Action. It was one of the funniest show's ever on tv.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Harsh Realm
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Kindred: The Embraced
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Anyone notice the networks starting to make political statements big time in their primetime shows like ER, Boston Legal, Law and Order, sitcoms, etc? It always happened a litle here and there and more on latenight comedy, but I just saw it really ramp up (4 incidents) in the last week on primetime TV. WTF
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

According to a thread over on SA, Billy West spilled the beans that 26 new episodes were in the works. Suspicion is that it would follow the Family Guy model of an episode being shown on Fox first then shown on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim a few days later.

Seriously?

That would be cool.  I loved that show, and watch the DVD sets occasionally (the commentary is hilarious on many of them)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

That would be cool.  I loved that show, and watch the DVD sets occasionally (the commentary is hilarious on many of them)

Yup.

Here is the SA thread (not sure if GBS is still public): Someone tell me if this link does not work

Here is Billy West's post: Good news, everyone...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#30]
firefly and family guy, bar none.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Babylon 5 got an early cancellation, forcing the producer to rush things and get the major stuff wrapped up in Season 4. Season 5 was alot of filler stuff...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Captain Nice

Oh, shit, I remember these.  I believe that "Mr. Terrific" was on during the same season as "Captain Nice."  Of course if you're going to bring up Greatest American Hero-esque reluctant hero series, you can't leave out "Secret Life of Henry Fife."

My Mother, the Car

"...a 1928 Porter, that's my mother, dear..."  I've still got that fucking song in my head.  

Quark

The intergalactic garbage man...

Sledge Hammer!

A decade or so ago I was visiting some friends in New Jersey when they had the bright idea of fixing me up on a blind date with some girl they knew from New York.  The four of us met up in New York City for drinks and dinner.  We didn't have much in common, and the conversation was dull and quiet.  So I decided to ask her about herself, things like what she did for work.  Along the way she casually mentioned something about once being script supervisor for a television show.  But wouldn't say which one.  I was kind of curious so I pressed it.  She kept saying "Nevermind, you probably never heard of it anyway.  It doesn't matter."  I kept pestering her, and she says "Fine.  It was called 'Sledge Hammer.'  You probably never saw it."

I smiled at the thought of finally having something we could talk about.  "Sledge Hammer?  You mean David Rasche and Ann Marie Martin?  'Trust me, I know what I'm doing.'  The show was hilarious!"  As I was laughing I noticed she wasn't.  In fact, I think she would've looked less horrified if I had actually dropped trou right in front of her in lower Manhattan and taken a dump on the sidewalk.  She was absolutely petrified that I had not only seen, but actually enjoyed the show.  She absolutely hated everything about it, from the guns to the low-brow humor.  And anyone who actually liked the show was  obviously no one that she wanted to know.

Almost immediately she claimed that she had to go home.  "But we haven't had dinner yet."  Nope, she had to leave right now.  "Ok, I've got a car, I'll drive you home."  Nope, she'd rather walk.  Her friend says "But you live in Brooklyn."  That's ok, she'll take the subway.  At night. No problem.  She's screaming this from about half a block away as she's literally running away from me.

She was ugly anyway.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone remember the wester series "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr."? That was hell of a show.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Sledgehammer had the best finale moment.  Cut the red wire or the blue wire... BOOM.  Mushroom Cloud.

I think I only saw the show twice, but one of those was the last half of the final episode.  It was better than many of the shows that didn't get the axe.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#35]
High Incident

Soldier of Fortune Inc. (before Dumbass Rodman was on it)

Riptide

Over There(my generations Combat, even though I am a Combat nut)

China Beach

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Farscape

Keen Eddie

Megas XLR

Firefly

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Titus and Fastlane, both were on FOX and cancelled way to soon.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#38]
The Tick
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Special Unit 2 - with Alexondra Lee - very nice!
Sports Night - some of the best writing on TV - it was very intelligent
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I was glad when Family Guy got canned, but then it went to Adult Swim and became popular again. Futurama kicked FG in the ratings, but still got cancelled and they just now want to bring it back.

Futurama was witty and need to know the world around you for it to be funny... oh wait.. that's bad. CANNED.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#42]
From the files of...POLICE SQUAD!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Third Watch

+1
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Brimstone

If you don't know it ask

+1 Brimstone rocked... and they killed it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Dark Angel...was a crime to take Jessica Alba off of weekly television
Firefly
Space Above and Beyond
Millennium
Futurama
Tour of Duty
The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne

Tarzan, the Epic Adventures, starring Joe Lara. This series was the most like the books and took place in the same time period.

Jeremiah, on Showtime. It was another J Michael Stracynski creation, and was brilliant.

Over There, just last fall on FX. It was a program about Iraq.

Brimstone was good too.  Sledge Hammer and the Tick were both great. I thought the human version of the Tick had potential also.

I'm enjoying the new show The Unit on CBS, so I imagine it will get canned.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#46]
EARTH 2!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Shows that haven't been mentioned yet:

Greg the bunny.  (I'm probably the only person who liked that show.)

The Andy Ricter (?) show.

I thought they were both surreal and IMO briliantly written.

I'll second:  

Firefly, the tick (both), and Futurama (if it comes back I will probably sob for joy).

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Anyone notice the networks starting to make political statements big time in their primetime shows like ER, Boston Legal, Law and Order, sitcoms, etc? It always happened a litle here and there and more on latenight comedy, but I just saw it really ramp up (4 incidents) in the last week on primetime TV. WTF

Well, if I didn't work on Monday nights, I'd be watching Monday Night RAW instead of that other stuff.

Go ahead and laugh everyone!  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok, some of you got it right.

Sledge Hammer and Brisco County Jr.  Two great shows!

"Trust me I know what I'm doing."
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Another that hasn't been mentioned yet - "Dead Like Me"

About an unmotivated, college drop-out 18 year-old girl who dies a brutal death in the first episode by getting hit by the toilet seat from the de-orbiting Mir space station.  She then learns that she's been chosen to be a Grim Reaper and help collect souls of  of the recently deceased.  And then she finds out that the job pays nothing and she also has to work shitty jobs to try and support herself, all the while dealing with death and the rest of the odd reaper crew.

Very funny show, with lots of people dying in very gruesome and funny ways.  Used to be on Showtime.

"This is where I felt it the first time - the universe was cocking the 'fuck with me' gun."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top