Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2006 5:48:12 PM EDT
What type do you have?  What do you like about it?  What don't you like about it?

I need one and have had bad luck with the last couple of Walmart ones I've gotten.  Guess I can't blame Walmart .
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Go on, blame WalMart !!!!!  

My wife and a good friend of mine both use french presses (with a good burr grinder for the beans) after spending time really looking into coffee makers.  It was either that, or spend about a grand on a fancy-schmancy machine.

I don't drink coffee myself, since it tastes like ass.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What type do you have?  What do you like about it?  What don't you like about it?

I need one and have had bad luck with the last couple of Walmart ones I've gotten.  Guess I can't blame Walmart .

I can't tell you what kind we have.....

But Target usually has good ones.  

Mrs Goon and I have had three in our 10 years of marriage.

The one we got at Target lasted longer, so, we went back and, got
another one.

Ya pay for waht ya get :)
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't tell you what kind we have.....

But Target usually has good ones.  

Mrs Goon and I have had three in our 10 years of marriage.

The one we got at Target lasted longer, so, we went back and, got
another one.

Ya pay for waht ya get :)

I had a Krups with a thermos for about 6 years and I loved it.  I can't find another one though at all.

DK-Prof fricken Walmart!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Some coffee companies will give you a maker if you purchase their beans.

example: Coffee maker

ETA-just remember to cancel your "membership"
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a Mr. Coffee.  Lasted about 12 years.  

I am the only one that drinks coffee in our house, used it daily.

It seemed a lot slower than my friends coffee makers.

It had a glass carafe, I would definitely get an insulated carafe.

Since it has passed on, I am thinking of getting an insulated French press model.

I likes my coffee.....

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Farberware. I have the small one in the front as I'm the only coffee drinker in my house.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the one I'm looking at getting if I can rig my current one up to die so the wife will ok a new one.

Presto  

I'd rather have this one but it's twice the cheese and I don't really want to spend that much on a coffee maker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Hamilton Beach Brewstation.  Doesn't use a pot, and therefore doesn't continue to "cook" the coffee after it's been brewed.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
NOTHIN' BEATS A BUNN!!!........we have two.....a regular ol' 10 cupper, and the super duper restaurant 2 pots brew and 2 pots on warmers style.........We love them.......the 10 cup one is about $90, but you'll love it........I don't imagine you need the super duper 4 pot one......

What makes it so great?....The water is held in a resevoir, and stays heated......when you pour the next pitcher of water in , the hot coffee starts coming out immediately.....Full pot of fresh coffee in about 1 minute.......you get a "pour pitcher" to add the right amount of water, because the carafe has to stay under the dripper......Coffee starts to flow, even before you finish pouring the water in....

We love it. But I realize not everyone wants to spend almost $100 bucks on a coffeemaker!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Keurig B40

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, I'm in the market for a new coffee maker as well.

We are currently running a Krupps coffee and espresso combo unit.  It has worked very well over the 8 years or so that we've had it.

The problem is that it doesn't match our new kitchen design.  We need something in all black or with an antiqued brass/copper finish.

We spent something like $200+ on the last Krups, so that's probably about what we'd spend on the next one.

And I have extensive experience with the Buns that hold the hot water in a reservoir until you're ready to use it.  They are pretty trick if you keep the water running through them a lot.  But I prefer to just set my Krupps to make the coffee 5 minutes before my alarm goes off (and I keep it clean and running fast).

Your suggestions on good alternatives running up to $200 or so would be appreciated.  I have no problem spending less money on a machine that is equal or better than our current unit.  

Corey

PS  Pattymcn -- I don't want to stomp on your thread, but the alternative is a second coffee maker thread....  Let me know if you object and I'll edit this post.

EDITED for typos.  Doubt I caught them all though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We are currently running a Krupps coffee and espresso combo unit.  It has worked very well over the 8 years or so that we've had it.

The problem is that it doesn't match our new kitchen design.  We need something in all black or with an antiqued brass/copper finish.

We spent something like $200+ on the last Krups, so that's probably about what we'd spend on the next one.

And I have extensive experience with the Buns that hold the hot water in a reservoir until you're ready to use it.  They are pretty trick if you keep the water running through them a lot.  But I prefer to just set my Krupps to make the coffee 5 minutes before my alarm goes off (and I keep it clean and running fast).

Your suggestions on good alternatives running up to $200 or so would be appreciated.  I have no problem spending less money on a machine that is equal or better than our current unit.  

Corey

PS  Pattymcn -- I don't want to stomp on your thread, but the alternative is a second coffee maker thread....  Let me know if you object and I'll edit this post.

No problemo.  I can't go $200 though.  I'm poor.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my Senseo. It takes a minute or two depending on if it's on already or not. It's good for one or two people. But a plain old pot would be quicker for many.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Had a Mr Coffee for many years also.  I loved that coffee maker! My MIL bought me a new one for Christmas one year.  It sat in the box new for almost two more years.  I was actually a little sad to see it go.  It made great HOT coffee.  Mine now is not nearly as hot.  I pour my coffee every morning and then nuke it for about 15 seconds.

I guess that is what I do not like about the new ones.  Coffee is not hot enough.
Damn lawyers!  Same reason factory triggers are too heavy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]
French press and a coffee grinder is the way to go.  Grind it course and pour boiling water in.  If you grind it too fine then you get sludge in it, but that is not really a bad thing with good coffee.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Corey

No problemo.  I can't go $200 though.  I'm poor.  

The price difference is probably in the espresso maker.  I can't imagine that a standard coffee maker has to be over $20-40.

And thanks for letting me bump in here.  

Corey
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
French press and a coffee grinder is the way to go.  

+1. Making coffee any other way in my house is punishable by death...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
At sea I use a percolator.

Sometimes i take the basket out and just boil it. THAT makes GREAT coffee, but you have to acquire a taste for it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a french press?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What's a french press?

Put in the loose grounds and water just off the boil.  Put on the lid and let the coffee steep for ever how long.  Then press down on the plunger, and the strainer will push down through the coffee, pushing all the grounds to the bottom of the press.

Makes great coffee.  Just make sure you pour out the coffee soon after pressing or it can get an off flavor.  Into a thermos or thermal carafe is ideal.  Also make sure you grind your beans coarse, or the smaller pieces will come through the strainer into the coffee.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Bodum Santos vacuum pot.  Great coffee and fun to watch.  Don't get the electric, it's impossible to clean.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's a french press?

www.hormel.com/images/glossary/f/frenchcoffeepress.jpg

Put in the loose grounds and water just off the boil.  Put on the lid and let the coffee steep for ever how long.  Then press down on the plunger, and the strainer will push down through the coffee, pushing all the grounds to the bottom of the press.

Makes great coffee.  Just make sure you pour out the coffee soon after pressing or it can get an off flavor.  Into a thermos or thermal carafe is ideal.  Also make sure you grind your beans coarse, or the smaller pieces will come through the strainer into the coffee.

I'd love to have fresh french press coffee every morning, but they require time and effort that I don't have.  (I.e., I need something to brew my coffee for me, and preferably 5 minutes before I drag my arsh out of bed.)

Corey
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I drink bourbon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#27]
B&D Smart brew

I've had this one for several years and I like it because I can adjust the warmer temp and the time until it shuts off the warmer.  No longer have wonder if I shut the warmer off before I left for work.  It is easy and fast to set 'clock' and start time after power failures.

I had a Mr Coffee for many years before that.  Even bought parts and rebuilt it once because I liked THAT one.  When I no longer could get parts I bought a Mr coffee elite IIRC.  Thing had a swing out tray to hold the basket. If you didn't get that sucker latched just right, the valve would not open and the water would run over the top of the basket, down over the counter, in the cabinets,  you get the picture.   Friend came over to make me dinner after I had surgery and it ran over on her.  Next day she brought me this one.  She has moved on but the coffee maker is a keeper .  In fact, I have a spare in the box I bought for when this one goes toes up in case they quit making this model.

I've tried the coffee press, burr grinder, etc.  Not to my taste.  What I find important is the water.  Either one of those pitcher or faucet filters or bottled water.  Municiple tap water makes lousy coffee in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#28]
A couple years ago my dad got a Hamilton Beach BrewStation for Christmas.  It is a coffeemaker with a unique feature, there is a plastic pushbar thingy(like at fountains at fast-food places) that you push your
mug against and the coffee dispenses out.  No problems.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Personally, I like the Bruan coffee makers with the shower-head type water sprinkler and cone shaped filter.  The problem is these machines are not too durable, they last like 2-3 years and then, kaput!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Bunn

Trust me. Been there and done it for 25 years.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
imma have to put in another plug for the brew station, i love that thing. one of the best things to come out of my (now over) marriage.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Old fashioned perculator with a stainless basket, makes great coffee and is cheap, $30 or so.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a french press?

Patty,

Live and learn:
www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot

www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr.frenchpress.html

wiki.ehow.com/Brew-Coffee-in-a-French-Press-Coffeemaker

...Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's a french press?

www.hormel.com/images/glossary/f/frenchcoffeepress.jpg

I'd love to have fresh french press coffee every morning, but they require time and effort that I don't have.  (I.e., I need something to brew my coffee for me, and preferably 5 minutes before I drag my arsh out of bed.)

Corey

Senseo...next best thing (and quick!)
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't think a french press is too practical for my family.  We are serious coffee drinkers.  Bunns are pretty dang expensive.  Isn't there a decent coffee maker under $50 bucks?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#36]
i'm going to BE a coffee maker in a month and a half.....

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#37]

We really love our Bunn machine.  It keeps water hot inside and when you pour in cold water it displaces the hot into the grounds.  It's super fast and doesn't "choogle" (technical term) for 5 minutes as it finishes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I have the female kind, works awesome!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
i'm going to BE a coffee maker in a month and a half.....

www.what-means.com/encyclopedia/images/thumb/c/c5/75px-Second_Lieutenant_insignia.png

Jesus H. Christ, Jr!!!!! A second Lieutenant that knows his place! I been to three county fairs, 2 goat ropings, a Tiajuana Whorehouse and seen the big city of Seattle, but I never did see a second lieutenant that knew his place!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
A couple years ago my dad got a Hamilton Beach BrewStation for Christmas.  It is a coffeemaker with a unique feature, there is a plastic pushbar thingy(like at fountains at fast-food places) that you push your
mug against and the coffee dispenses out.  No problems.

+1  this is the best "affordable" coffee maker on the market.  the coffee can't burn and there is not craft to break.

i've had one for about 3-4 years now.  no problems.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:08:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Patty, the folks over at coffeegeek know their stuff.  It's the ARFCOM of everything coffee.  www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines  That's their coffee brewing forum.  Lots of discussions, lots of advice.  There's also the consumer reviews link at the top to check out different machines.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#42]

We really love our Bunn machine. It keeps water hot inside and when you pour in cold water it displaces the hot into the grounds. It's super fast and doesn't "choogle" (technical term) for 5 minutes as it finishes

+1  I have had Bunn machines for about 15 years...I wouldn't have anything else.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#43]

www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=10&item_id=25&cat_id=3

I have had this one for a little over a year, and I really like it.  It is a little pricey, but you can find them on sale at dept stores for right around $100.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Patty, the folks over at coffeegeek know their stuff.  It's the ARFCOM of everything coffee.  www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines  That's their coffee brewing forum.  Lots of discussions, lots of advice.  There's also the consumer reviews link at the top to check out different machines.

Holy Cow!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I have a Bosch unit. It has worked great for the past 2-3 years (I use it at least 3 times a day).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
www.gourmet.org/product_images/ct/DCC-1200-b.jpg

I have had this one for a little over a year, and I really like it.  It is a little pricey, but you can find them on sale at dept stores for right around $100.

That one is $55 at Costco, I have the one below which is a little pricey,I purchased a department store but it is cheaper at Costco as well. You put in whole beans and it grinds them right before brewing. My wife drinks a lot more coffee than I do, but I haven't heard any complaints about it so I am sure she is happy with it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.gourmet.org/product_images/ct/DCC-1200-b.jpg

That one is $55 at Costco, I have the one below which is a little pricey,I purchased a department store but it is cheaper at Costco as well. You put in whole beans and it grinds them right before brewing. My wife drinks a lot more coffee than I do, but I haven't heard any complaints about it so I am sure she is happy with it.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/bigbang01/coffee.jpg

I had that one, but I didn't like the mess the coffee grounds made after the moisture seeped into it. Was a real PITA to keep clean. Now we have

and

The only real problem I notice with the coffee maker is that the place to add the water is rather small.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#48]
The one i have is 37 years old but still makes a good pot of coffee. She is kind of a smartass sometimes though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#49]
get the BUNN, you'll never regret it!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#50]
When  I was in high school I worked at Bed, Bath and Beyond, mainly unloading trucks, but for a while they had me selling coffee makers and the best ones that they sold were both Cuisinart.
The Grind and Brew
This one will basically grind whole beans right when you start the machine and prepare coffee fresh for you.

If you would rather just deal with the tradtional style of coffeemaker with the grounds this one should suit you just fine.The Brew Central

Both Coffeemakers have a built in timer so that you can set the machine to automatically brew coffee for you at say 6am.

Best coffee makers on the market that dont cost an arm and a leg.
James
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top