User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
That is interesting.

Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If it proves to be truly efficient, that would make a hell of a fixed generator engine!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]

That could be a serious way to cut down our oil consumption.  The freezing part is a problem but should be able to be handled.  Really interesting concept.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, but not new.  Engines were water injected in WW II in order to run higher boost for more power.  This fellow is running a much higher water %, however.

Kent

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
That is interesting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not an engineer, but I am not seeing the great advantage here.

Sure there's no radiator, but then--both systems use water for regulating the temperature.
Having the radiator means that you can re-use the same water over and over again for cooling and carry less of it around..... ? Plus the article says he thinks it needs distilled water. A bit of an energy expenditure/cost there, I'm thinking.

And anyway--engines that are run too cool wear less but are less fuel-efficient, normally. It's why radiator cooling systems have thermostats in the first place.....
~
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
wow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't there solar water distillation that is very cheap?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am not an engineer, but I am not seeing the great advantage here.

Sure there's no radiator, but then--both systems use water for regulating the temperature.
Having the radiator means that you can re-use the same water over and over again for cooling and carry less of it around..... ?

Could probably recover quite a bit of it from the exhaust - although you might have to add back that pesky radiator in order to do it...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cool, but not new.  Engines were water injected in WW II in order to run higher boost for more power.  This fellow is running a much higher water %, however.

Kent

That is not the same thing. The planes in WW2 were injected to cool the combustion cycle and prevent pre-ignition. This is adding another 2 strokes to the 4-stroke cycle and creating power from the steam pressure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That is not the same thing. The planes in WW2 were injected to cool the combustion cycle and prevent pre-ignition. This is adding another 2 strokes to the 4-stroke cycle and creating power from the steam pressure.

-Yea, but if this guy's 6-stroke engine "never gets hot", then the steam-cycles are keeping it running "cold" all the time--the water/steam is drawing off heat that normally would have stayed in the engine--and so the engine is never heating up. And cold engines don't get their optimum fuel efficiency.
~
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:47:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Yea, but if this guy's 6-stroke engine "never gets hot", then the steam-cycles are keeping it running "cold" all the time--the water/steam is drawing off heat that normally would have stayed in the engine--and so the engine is never heating up. And cold engines don't get their optimum fuel efficiency. ~

That's because normal engines are designed for maximum efficiency when they are hot.
What you say would be true for the prototype he has, but if an engine is designed for his idea, there should be no problem.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]
This guy's stuff would be easier to implement.  

How are we going to warm up a car's interior without a radiator/cooling system?  A cool running engine like that would need some seriously thin oil to function up here too.  Neat concept, but  I do not know if I am convinced that it would be readily implementable across the board.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:40:07 AM EDT
[#15]
this is reclaiming the heat lost through the combustion cycle to power another cycle of steam.

This is a huge improvement since almost all the energy wasted in an engine is through heat loss.
Instead of the heat simply being lost to the surrounding enviroment it is put back into driving the car.

The water use is an issue but anywhere that can supply gasoline is easily capable of supplying distilled water.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#16]
yeah the auto makers are gonna step right up and use this design. yeap in addiation to dumping 15 gallons of gas into my car I would also have to put in 15 gallons of water. yeah i wanna do that.

yet another kookafornian.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yeah the auto makers are gonna step right up and use this design. yeap in addiation to dumping 15 gallons of gas into my car I would also have to put in 15 gallons of water. yeah i wanna do that.

And your accomplishments in life are...?

"Kookafornian in action..."

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This guy's stuff would be easier to implement.  

How are we going to warm up a car's interior without a radiator/cooling system?  A cool running engine like that would need some seriously thin oil to function up here too.  Neat concept, but  I do not know if I am convinced that it would be readily implementable across the board.

Looks similar to cylinder head treatment Trinity racing does for 2 strokes.   Nothing really new.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:40:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Looks similar to cylinder head treatment Trinity racing does for 2 strokes.   Nothing really new.
www.trinityracing.com/products/yamahaimages/Blaster-HeadMod.jpg

That is kinda what gets me about it, it is such a simple idea, why isn't its use more commonplace?  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]

To label Bruce Crower as a "kookafornian" truly shows how mentally retarded you are.

I, too, would love to hear of your earth shattering accomplishments.

Some bulbs are bright, some are dim.  I believe your element has burned out completely.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#22]

I hope it developes into something useable. Maybe a locomotive engine would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I have to wonder if direct water injection will eventually corrode the combustion chamber of iron block.  Maybe this is a good time to consider ceramic engine parts.

As to carrying extra 15 gallons of water: if you can elimiate the radiator, hoses, etc, the weight saving will be more than the water.  Also, the frontal area of the car so designed will be more aerodynamic since it won't have to be open to cool the radiator.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I hope it developes into something useable. Maybe a locomotive engine would be a good place to start.

Good call....or for big diesel powered ships.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top