Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:01:07 PM EDT
Prison officers sacked over 'Sausagegate'

By Paul Heinrichs
March 19, 2006

FOUR prison officers have been sacked and two more counselled in the wake of the so-called "Sausagegate" scandal, which hurt and humiliated a vulnerable inmate of the privately owned and run Port Phillip Prison.

The Bracks Government has put GSL Australia, operator of the Laverton maximum-security complex, on notice over a spate of alarming incidents.

The prisoner was tricked into believing he was leaving the jail, coerced into inserting a sausage in his body, then strip-searched by officers "in" on the "joke".

The dismissed officers were corrections supervisor Trevor Spearman, who allegedly tried to cover up the incident, and corrections officer Steven Harmat, who allegedly played the leading role, and corrections officers Russell Davies and Appudurai Natkunarajah, who joined the prank.

Until last week, they had been suspended for six to nine months on full pay following the report of the investigation by GSL's security manager, Jim Keegan, revealed exclusively in The Sunday Age last week.

Anti-private prison activist Charandev Singh said the report shows that more needs to be done to address serious systemic problems in the prison.

www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/03/18/1142582577801.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]

...corrections officers Russell Davies and Appudurai Natkunarajah, who joined the prank.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
then strip-searched by officers "in" on the "joke".
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

...corrections officers Russell Davies and Appudurai Natkunarajah, who joined the prank.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/C-apu.gif

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they should just house prisoners at Charandev Singh's house.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
what the fuck?
am i missing something here?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what the fuck?

+1

So far all I can make is they tricked someone into playing hide the sausage. Why the hell would you shove a sausage up your bum if you are getting OUT of jail???? Then again why the hell would you do it if you were going TO jail???
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what the fuck?

Yeah, WTF is that all about?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Those crazy Auzzies!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

By Paul Heinrichs
March 19, 2006

FOUR prison officers have been sacked and two more counselled in the wake of the so-called "Sausagegate" scandal, which hurt and humiliated a vulnerable inmate of the privately owned and run Port Phillip Prison.

The Bracks Government has put GSL Australia, operator of the Laverton maximum-security complex, on notice over a spate of alarming incidents.

The prisoner was tricked into believing he was leaving the jail, coerced into inserting a sausage in his body, then strip-searched by officers "in" on the "joke".

The dismissed officers were corrections supervisor Trevor Spearman, who allegedly tried to cover up the incident, and corrections officer Steven Harmat, who allegedly played the leading role, and corrections officers Russell Davies and Appudurai Natkunarajah, who joined the prank.

Until last week, they had been suspended for six to nine months on full pay following the report of the investigation by GSL's security manager, Jim Keegan, revealed exclusively in The Sunday Age last week.

Anti-private prison activist Charandev Singh said the report shows that more needs to be done to address serious systemic problems in the prison.

I wish I could be punished like that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By Paul Heinrichs
March 19, 2006

I wish I could be punished like that.

That's a lot of time to think up new "jokes."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]

The prisoner was tricked into believing he was leaving the jail, coerced into inserting a sausage in his body

So he is told he is leaving the jail, then he is coerced into inserting a sausage into his ass body.
Sounds like there wasn't much coercing needed and some guards and an inmate got caught in the middle of something else.

Dont they know that putting things up your butt is a big no-no.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Apparently private jails do not have a don't ask, don't tell policy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Remember when Howard Dean said "hide the salami" during Meet the Press?  I couldn't believe my ears.  What a clod.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9601984/
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what the fuck?

+1

So far all I can make is they tricked someone into playing hide the sausage. Why the hell would you shove a sausage up your bum if you are getting OUT of jail???? Then again why the hell would you do it if you were going TO jail???

i'm with you..... i cant think of any instance where i could be convinced to shove a sausage up my ass
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what the fuck?

+1

i'm with you..... i cant think of any instance where i could be convinced to shove a sausage up my ass

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Typical sloppy reporting.  What KIND of sausage?

Vienna sausage?

Kielbasi?

Bratwurst?

Considering the manner in which it was used, I'd guess that it was a Banger.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]
A few more details:

Prison sausage joke backfires
(Australian) Herald Sun
THE Corrections Commissioner is awaiting the outcome of an investigation into the alleged abuse of a prisoner at Port Phillip Prison before deciding whether to penalise the prison's private operator.

Two prison guards have been stood down and could face criminal charges over the incident sources describe as a practical joke gone wrong.

The incident is believed to revolve around a prisoner who was coerced into internally concealing a sausage to smuggle it out of the prison on a day leave trip, before being strip searched by guards allegedly in on the joke.

Two more guards could be stood down over the alleged incident.

It is believed two prisoners may also be charged with a criminal offence, possibly rape.

The alleged abuse victim is understood to have later learned the event was a joke on him and reported it to authorities. (:/)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top