Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:26:22 AM EDT
I'm looking for some advice and information on getting back into the field. I ran accross a feller the other day at the range who is working as a Landman. He told me there is a real need for experienced Landmen. (could've knocked me over with a feather!)

Any Landmen on here who could answer a few questions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a mine landman for a few years and signed an oil lease last year.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was a mine landman for a few years and signed an oil lease last year.

SRM

What type of mine?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a landman. I will give you all the information you need.
There is a huge market in OK and TX. My advice is MOVE to Texas and leran how to run East texas title. Kind of a nitch market, $400+ a day, miles, meals, lodging. I can set up up with a long term contract if you will consider relocating for a few months. $200 day rate, $0.44 a mile, $25 meals per day

I currently work for a large oil company (who I won't name) and still do 'landman' work on the side.
I run title and to HBP stuff for several large oil companies. Once you get good, you can take on several projects at a time and double bill. I know a few guys who are billing 3 different companys a day and making upwards to 1K per day!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Underground base and precious metal in an old mining district.  We had a 4X6 raise (vertical opening) that was on 4 separate claims.  Underground surveying was critical.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm a landman. I will give you all the information you need.
There is a huge market in OK and TX. My advice is MOVE to Texas and leran how to run East texas title. Kind of a nitch market, $400+ a day, miles, meals, lodging. I can set up up with a long term contract if you will consider relocating for a few months. $200 day rate, $0.44 a mile, $25 meals per day

I currently work for a large oil company (who I won't name) and still do 'landman' work on the side.
I run title and to HBP stuff for several large oil companies. Once you get good, you can take on several projects at a time and double bill. I know a few guys who are billing 3 different companys a day and making upwards to 1K per day!!

What is it about East Texas title that makes it a niche market? Is it because all the mineral rights have been bought, sold, willed, split up, sold, willed, and split up again? That's the way most of this area in the Illinois basin is. I only have experience in IN, KY, &  IL.

I have a ton of title experience in both sectionized descriptions and 'meets & bounds'descriptions. Some of the stuff I used to do was down to 1/256th interests. Finding all the Heirs and  mineral rights owners is harder than running title around here. Minerals started getting split up around here way back before the Civil War. Once I locate them, I can get em signed....if they're alive.

I put a short blurb on landman.net the other day and got three contacts in the first 24 hours. Dallas area, Northern Alabama area, and Pennsylvania. Two offered day rates in the $350 neighborhood and one up to $500 a day, all 3 covered all expenses plus mileage and per diem.

The thing is, I was leasing back in the 70's when the Oil Industry went to hell. Now, all the guys I was working for then are dead and gone. I don't even have anybody to use as a reference with regards to my leasing experience. Like I said, I didn't even realize there was any Landman work available. I must say, I am enthused at the prospect of getting back into it.

I appreciate the info. Possibly we could speak on the phone?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a ton of title experience in both sectionized descriptions and 'meets & bounds'descriptions. Some of the stuff I used to do was down to 1/256th interests. Finding all the Heirs and  mineral rights owners is harder than running title around here. Minerals started getting split up around here way back before the Civil War. Once I locate them, I can get em signed....if they're alive.

The worst one I had was three claims owned by a company.  When the depression hit, the company folded.  The only real compant asset was the property, which they apportioned to the shareholders.  Imagine looking for 3/177,900 that was two or three generations gone.  I had to go through a few quiet titles, and Colorado has a pooling agreement called cotenants in common of mines.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The worst one I had was three claims owned by a company.  When the depression hit, the company folded.  The only real compant asset was the property, which they apportioned to the shareholders.  Imagine looking for 3/177,900 that was two or three generations gone.  I had to go through a few quiet titles, and Colorado has a pooling agreement called cotenants in common of mines.

SRM

Wow! That's balled up! Did they have to petition the court for quiet title or did the cotenants law cover it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Only relief was through quiet title proceedings with publication requirements.   It was almost as much of a pain, but everyone had a clear title at the end.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Only relief was through quiet title proceedings with publication requirements.   It was almost as much of a pain, but everyone had a clear title at the end.

SRM

So did the publication just have to be done in the newpaper of record in the County where the deed was or did it require broader publication?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Local papers within 50 miles, nearest paper to the last known address and the paper of record of the largest city proximal to the last known address.

PITA

SRM
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Jeez!! yup...that would qualify as a PITA!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top