Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/16/2006 9:44:03 AM EDT
Kind of an offshoot of the "What kept you from serving" thread. Seemed to me the entire wording of it was "you should have served"

I didn't serve. Does that mean anything?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that anybody's even asked me.  

When I graduated from high school in the late '70s, the military was not the place to be.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends:

Here...maybe.

In society...no.

At the gunshow...possibly.

From vets and such...likely (most here excluded).

ETA - I think that it depends on what you chose as your interests also. I think that there is a definate negative stigma on AW owners from the general public, especially so if they never served in the military. I had an ex-Marine at the range just last weekend tell me that ARs were for wannabe's (I was shooting my Garand that day).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't know about in general here on the board, but I don't have a negative outlook on someone just because they didn't serve in the military.

I tend to have a negative view of douchebags, and I met a few of them in the military.

LOL you and me both!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't serve in the millitary.
If you can't, or aren't being forced to  but choose not to serve, it's not a bad thing.

However I feel that if they institute a draft, and you choose to dodge it, than you're not cool in my book.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I am glad I chose to serve but it is not for everyone including some I serve with.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
YES, and it's not that i wouldn't serve it's that they WOULDN'T LET ME SERVE.

I have dust triggered asthma, so i found other ways to serve my countrymen, I have been a volunteer firefighter for the past 17 years, never asked for pay, never asked for re-enlistment bonuses, never asked for free tuition to do it either.

It's called a sense of Duty and Honor, and it comes with their own rewards that have nothing to do with money.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Like someone else in that thread said, I was a bit...."amazed" by how many debilitating medical problems were being listed. There is a definite mentality in there that one must defend one's decision to not join the military (i.e., you have to prove you didn't because you had little/no choice).

Personally, I don't think that's how it should be. Joining the military is just something that it right for some people, and it's not right for other people. If you do join, more power to you and we all respect you for it. But if you don't, we (or at least I) won't look down on you. After all, if every able-bodied male American tried to join up, the military would be swamped with like fifty times more recruits than DOD funding allowes them to even consider handling. Therefore, since not nearly everyone possibly can do it, we should not hold it as a moral standard that everyone must do it.

I'm right at that point where I have to make that decision. I'm honestly not sure what's going to happen, I'm pretty much 50/50 between joining some branch in some fashion in the near future, or just continuing college and getting a job. Whatever I decide, however, will be a valid choice in my mind (unless there's some sort of draft in the future, then I would personally require myself to join up).

That is my $0.02
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I tend to have more respect for those who served in the miltary than those who spent 4yrs hitting the bong in college.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I tend to have more respect for those who served in the miltary than those who spent 4yrs hitting the bong in college.

Is the world really so polarized for you?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#11]
No one should treat you badly just because you didnt serve thats stupid.  I believe that military service isnt for everyone.  When I was in the Army I met a lot of folks who would have been better off not in the military.   The Army needs people who want to be there who want to excell and do a good job.  If its not for you than it is not for you.  Their will always be able bodied men in my family who will step up.  My two little brothers just joined up one a marine like the rest of the family and one a soldier like his brother and grandpa. ( edited this is my girlfriends account she forgot to sign off dammit).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I only have a negative view of those that do not honor their duty to serve in the militia !

A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms. -- Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters from the Federal Farmer (1788) at 169.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I tend to belive than man is essentially evil.  That absent strong evidence otherwise the avergae "man on the street" is a functional idiot and i am surprised he doesnt drown when it rains. I guess thats the negative effect of 13 years of "sucessful" people calling me to their homes for every little problem with their neighbor, children, spouse.

If you have a masters degree but expect the cops to fix your teenage daughter in 10 minutes after you had 14 years to screw her up, then you're retarded.  Some kind of idiot savant who has manged to achieve educational and financial sucess while still being clueless about dealing with day to day life and other people.  I find more of those types of people come from a higher learning background than a military background.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I tend to belive than man is essentially evil.  That absent strong evidence otherwise the avergae "man on the street" is a functional idiot and i am surprised he doesnt drown when it rains. I guess thats the negative effect of 13 years of "sucessful" people calling me to their homes for every little problem with their neighbor, children, spouse.

If you have a masters degree but expect the cops to fix your teenage daughter in 10 minutes after you had 14 years to screw her up, then you're retarded.  Some kind of idiot savant who has manged to achieve educational and financial sucess while still being clueless about dealing with day to day life and other people.  I find more of those types of people come from a higher learning background than a military background.

I am guessing that you are LE...but maybe shouldn't be.  Sounds like you've got the "us versus them" routine down pat, or hopefully your just having a bad day.  Later.

dvo  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why there's a certain hostility towards cops. They deal with the scumbags so often, and as a result, they treat EVERYONE like a criminal.

And when you're a dick to a total stranger, that stranger will tend to not have a high opinion of you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I really believe that there are many American men like myself that never served when we were of age, and now that we've gotten older and have a much greater appreciation of what American life really means to us, realize that we'll never have that chance again. To me, it's like when I was a kid in a "choose up" baseball or football game. Your desire to get in the game may be strong and you want to be chosen and prove you can play, but in the end you get passed over. Now however, it's for the worst of reasons-you're at an age where it's accepted that you're too old to contribute. I hate to think I'm at a point in my life where someone looks at me and thinks "Sorry, but we doubt you can get the job done," but I guess it's happened.

If there's any stigma that accompanies my lack of military service, it's more than likely assigned by myself, but I sure as heck feel it. It's just one more regret as I've gotten older, but a very strong one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to set you straight on something: I didn't serve in the military nor did I "hit the bong" while in college... and I'd venture to guess a good number of us are the same.

You didn't address my point either. Basically you redirected into a short rant on how stupid or manipulative you think everyone is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I chose to go to college, study hard, get into a good field and make a lot of money, because money is freedom and power.

I respect those that chose to go the military route and I thank them for their service.

Those who have a "negative perception" of me because I didn't serve in the military can blow me.

That about sums it up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Some of the most stupid people I have encountered are ones with degrees above a BS..
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to set you straight on something: I didn't serve in the military nor did I "hit the bong" while in college... and I'd venture to guess a good number of us are the same.

You didn't address my point either. Basically you redirected into a short rant on how stupid or manipulative you think everyone is.

Actually i went to college and hit the bong, and Served. where does that put me?

You, Sir are clearly an overachiever!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Actually i went to college and hit the bong, and Served. where does that put me?

In the got both catagory..
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#24]
When I graduated in 1994, my grandfather and especially my father, both war vets (WWII and Nam) told me.  Why join there ain't no war, go to college get an education and make some money. So that is what I did.

I am sure most people calling the police for domestic problem don't have master degrees.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why there's a certain hostility towards cops. They deal with the scumbags so often, and as a result, they treat EVERYONE like a criminal. .

I dont treat everyone like a criminal.  But I dont give people more credit than they deserve. It sounds as if you think the average person on the street is a really good guy? even if he voted for Clinton twice, wants to ban AW's and thinks the US is the agressor in an unjustified war against muslems.

How do you reconcile your apparent opinion that people as essentially good when they actively want to destroy or at least prohibit your lifestyle?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I really believe that there are many American men like myself that never served when we were of age, and now that we've gotten older and have a much greater appreciation of what American life really means to us, realize that we'll never have that chance again. To me, it's like when I was a kid in a "choose up" baseball or football game. Your desire to get in the game may be strong and you want to be chosen and prove you can play, but in the end you get passed over. Now however, it's for the worst of reasons-you're at an age where it's accepted that you're too old to contribute. I hate to think I'm at a point in my life where someone looks at me and thinks "Sorry, but we doubt you can get the job done," but I guess it's happened.

If there's any stigma that accompanies my lack of military service, it's more than likely assigned by myself, but I sure as heck feel it. It's just one more regret as I've gotten older, but a very strong one.

exactly my thoughts
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you sir are in  special class
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I can only compare it to my own profession.

As a public accountant for a national firm, when you learn someone is a CPA, be it a client or coworker, it automatically raises your opinion of them because it shows they worked hard and achieved a minimum level of achievment.  Yet I have met many CPA who were complete morons.

I guess on a gun board devoted to guns, the men and women who carry them (in the military or otherwise) are automatically thought of in a higher esteem then others.

Is it biased? Yes.  Do the opinions of those who have not served sometimes mean less to some?  Yes.  But it has nothing to do with the fact thats its the military and guns.  Its just the nature of the website and what it is here to do.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am guessing that you are LE...but maybe shouldn't be.  Sounds like you've got the "us versus them" routine down pat...

"Us Vs. Them" is overly simplified.  the majority of people are neither "us" or "them." Instead they are bystanders to the whole process.

Just because the average person is a functional idiot, it doesnt make him a criminal.  he more likely just uninvolved.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are healthy , Military service should be mandatory . I am also for lifting some of the health restrictions . I would loved it if I could serve , but a bad heart kept me out . My dad was a Seabee and I would have followed in his footsteps .    maxx
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#31]
tag

interesting thread.  i think about this topic often, although i don't have anything to add at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I only have a negative view of people who refuse to make the best of themselves.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#33]
When Iran and N. Korea need dealt with,  almost everyone will experience the draft and the military.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If you are healthy , Military service should be mandatory .

Because that worked so well during Vietnam.......

America is not like other countrys whose kids have grown up to be part of the government, to support the government, that its their job to contribute.  Therefore they dont mind serving manadatory stints in the military.  Its just part of living in their country  

American kids on the other hand are completely different.  We dont participate, we dont help, and we look at the government as a piggy bank and not as a partner.  You really think mandatory service would work?  Hell no.  I am sure the commanders really dont want it either.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

what if they did both?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#36]
If you weren't a Delta SEAL Counter-terrorist CQB specialized Team 12 Marine Sniper...then your opinion ain't worth shit around here.  Luckily enough I was one, only apart of Team 13, which was better, so my opinion matters around here.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I think that it's possibly a side effect of the pride we have of having served. Many come off as arrogant asses but it'spart of being in the mil. and also being human. 1 upmanship isn't limited to the mil, ask anybody "who's football team is the best? well my hometown's of course!". It just extends into other aspects of life. The mil is rife with rivalry: Army v. Marines, my battalion v. yours, blah blah blah...it's just part of wanting to be THE BEST. It's true that there is nothing that can really parallel life in the service,  but what can parallel life as child psychologist? There are somethings that you have to experience to understand, andthe mil is the ultimate example of it, but because there are so many that have served there tends to be a greaternumber of similar stories to share. So there it is, how many arf.commers will admit that this site is, in a lot of ways, their support group
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#39]
There is a negative perception here if you didn't serve in the military, but there shouldn't be.

ETA: Mandatory service is a stupid, stupid idea in America. Just think what would happen if you have all these disgruntled people who don't want to serve. Desertions aplenty. Also, they would have access to weapons.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting thread.

FTR? I don't care if a person served or not:
If you're an ass I'll treat you like one. If you served and you're an ass , I'll still treat you like one.
It's all the same to me.
I'm proud of my military service. However, I never served in a war zone and I'll admit to feeling "less than military" compared to those who have, and am humbled by those who have (unless they're an ass ).  That said, I DON'T think it's a life for everyone.
I've never seen this phenomena here...I HAVE seen alot of pissing matches over which branch is best (Patton Save us ) but I've never noticed any hostility towards those who never served.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't think that there is a negative perception at all, as long as you are doing something in/for society.  By that, I mean that you are either in school, have a job, just something to contribute.  I, for one, could not join the military due to physical reasons.  Instead, I hold a great job and I have sent my wife to law school.  Instead of fighting the war, I help support the war from the homeland.  Think about it...While the soldiers are certainly doing a more noble job over there, they do still need any and all support that they can get from the people that they are fighting for.  I am one of those people and therefore it is my job to support them however I can, since I can't be there fighting with them.

Just my .02

Brian
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a negative perception of myself for not serving, and I probably wouldn't even have been able to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Interesting thread.

FTR? I don't care if a person served or not:
If you're an ass I'll treat you like one. If you served and you're an ass , I'll still treat you like one.
It's all the same to me.
I'm proud of my military service. However, I never served in a war zone and I'll admit to feeling "less than military" compared to those who have, and am humbled by those who have (unless they're an ass ).  That said, I DON'T think it's a life for everyone.
I've never seen this phenomena here...I HAVE seen alot of pissing matches over which branch is best (Patton Save us ) but I've never noticed any hostility towards those who never served.

Honestly Playmore, the outright hostility is RARE and the 2 or 3 incidents I've seen of it here have immediately been "called out" by other members of the military.

I just noticed, in many threads here, a subtle perception of either inferiority by those who haven't served, or a feeling that one hasn't done their civic duty if they haven't served. Oh, I have seen those who think the system put forth in Starship Troopers is a great idea. That's more abstract though.

I guess the way the question "What kept you from serving" was worded - as well as those other incidents, caused me to post this thread.

FWIW I thank and respect all those who have served - even some of the asses. I just don't think there needs to be some publicly acceptable reason why I didn't...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have a negative perception of myself for not serving, and I probably wouldn't even have been able to.

Why would you possibly have a negative perception of yourself for not serving?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes I think there is a negative perception of people who didnt serve.
I regret not serving when I could have
But I'll tell you this, let hell come here and I'll be the first on line because that regret burns within this American heart  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Honestly Playmore, the outright hostility is RARE and the 2 or 3 incidents I've seen of it here have immediately been "called out" by other members of the military.

I just noticed, in many threads here, a subtle perception of either inferiority by those who haven't served, or a feeling that one hasn't done their civic duty if they haven't served. Oh, I have seen those who think the system put forth in Starship Troopers is a great idea. That's more abstract though.

I guess the way the question "What kept you from serving" was worded - as well as those other incidents, caused me to post this thread.

FWIW I thank and respect all those who have served - even some of the asses. I just don't think there needs to be some publicly acceptable reason why I didn't...

Here's what I am gonna chalk that up to...humor me a bit.
Here, as on other boards, and in society for that matter, we all are looking to justify choices made/not made in our lives. Sometimes, in order to do so, we shun choices OTHERS have made as unacceptable proving that our way was the only way. Sometimes, the shunning becomes outright mockery. It's human nature. We do it in order to bond ourselves with people of like backgrounds and who share like interests. You like Hockey, right? Red Wing fan. I know SQUAT about Hockey, except what the husband TRIES to talk to me about in a moment of weakness when none of his hockey buds are around to hear him whine over losing Andy Moog (yes I know, that was AGES ago---he's still whining).
Anyway...there it is...it's a manner to bond, but sometimes, especially in the wrong hands,  can be used to alienate.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I regret not serving when I could havehis,

I agree with you on every point.  I didn't when I should have and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I regret not serving when I could have
But I'll tell you this, let hell come here and I'll be the first on line because that regret burns within this American heart  

I agree with you on every point.  I didn't when I should have and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret it.

+10000000 I feel exactly the same way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I say no.

America has a volunteer military and that is a great thing.

Civilians design, build, and manufacture virtually everything the military uses to sustain itself and fight with from boot laces to M-107's to aircraft carriers. Are civilians who provide the products for the military to survive and wage war with any less patriotic or noble than a soldier on the frontline?

America is an awesome country and all of us working together makes us a model for every other country on the planet. No single person can sustain our nation. It's all about teamwork.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's what I am gonna chalk that up to...humor me a bit.
Here, as on other boards, and in society for that matter, we all are looking to justify choices made/not made in our lives. Sometimes, in order to do so, we shun choices OTHERS have made as unacceptable proving that our way was the only way. Sometimes, the shunning becomes outright mockery. It's human nature. We do it in order to bond ourselves with people of like backgrounds and who share like interests. You like Hockey, right? Red Wing fan. I know SQUAT about Hockey, except what the husband TRIES to talk to me about in a moment of weakness when none of his hockey buds are around to hear him whine over losing Andy Moog (yes I know, that was AGES ago---he's still whining).
Anyway...there it is...it's a manner to bond, but sometimes, especially in the wrong hands,  can be used to alienate.

Great food for thought. I hadn't thought of it that way truthfully... There were times I thought "I wish I'd have done this" or that, but I never let it get me down too much.

Your comment

...it's a manner to bond, but sometimes, especially in the wrong hands,  can be used to alienate.

probably sums the whole thread up (well, except for AR15fan's comments) in one concise sentence. Bravo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top