Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:17:52 PM EDT
Assuming you are debt free and are well stocked with hookers and blow, what would you do with $3k?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
.50 bmg rifle.
M16
New gun safe
maybe a uhh something im out of ideas.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
savings/investing

ETA:  where can you find an m-16 for $3,000?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
-ACOG
-new safe
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
savings
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

... Why is it some people feel the must immediately spend every dime that falls into their possession?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
savings/investing

How would you invest it?

And yeah, I want to know where the $3000 M16's are... I'll take 10 of 'em!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Home ent. set up
32" LCD monitor = $900
comp I would build = $1000
sound system = $500
new couch for me and the hookers = $600

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Really? Probably save most of it. Or buy a better used car.

But if I had 3K to spend on firearms I would probably get an FAL plus plenty of magazines, some spare parts and a bunch of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
savings/investing

There is that guy who had a friend give him one, remember?  He probably knows where to get lots of them for $3,000

I would spend the money on a new snowmobile trailer.  The one I have now sucks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
savings/investing

Why do you say they are so expensive? Model1sales.com.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]
IRA/Mutual fund
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
you really wanna know what I did with 3K?

came to about 3k for the rifle.  then the nightforce of course kicks your ass afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Barrett 50 cal
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i2.tinypic.com/r0edcp.jpg
came to about 3k for the rifle.  then the nightforce of course kicks your ass afterwards.

Does everyone else shit there pants when u fire that?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

... Why is it some people feel the must immediately spend every dime that falls into their possession?

That's mainly what I'm trying to get ideas for.

I want to invest/save the money in a way that will give me the best return.

Believe me, I have plenty of ideas about how to spend it...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
normally yea.  but last weekend I parked ass next to a really cool old grizzly bear of a man.  There wasn't any more benchs open next to my squad who was all out shooting.  The guy was shooting his 300wm and I warned him that it was pretty damn loud and that I would just wait untill he had to get back into his truck for something...he had been up and down the entire time.  he said.  naw sonny I can't hear shit anyway go ahead.  Sat in like the worst spot for the rifle.  Later he busted out his 500sw and let me fire a couple rounds.  Cool guy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Toss it in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
S&B Short Dot
invest with the rest
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

A lot of it depends where you have other money saved/invested.  Buy gold futures, energy stocks and companies that are involved in container shipping are probably good investments.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
M11/9
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]
invest in oakley.  our brigade was all just issued some...they are probably making a fortune right about now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thats one heluvan expensive hat!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

Because if I were to die tommorrow, and I had a substantial amount of money into savings, I would have failed at life.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

A lot of it depends where you have other money saved/invested.  Buy gold futures, energy stocks and companies that are involved in container shipping are probably good investments.

That's the thing.  I don't have anything invested right now.  I'm new to investing.  I'm a pro at spending, though.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Put it into the Roth IRA
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#26]
spending money for the next month or so.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Legal stuff?

Shotgun, 2 new vidcards and RAM, a few games, and a beater car with what's left.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm just going to hang onto it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
M11/9

Best answer yet. Fun little toy and will appreciate in value. Mine however, only made me want an M16.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Assuming you are debt free and are well stocked with hookers and blow, what would you do with $3k?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats one heluvan expensive hat!!!

har har.

Im too young to put all my money into an account and save it.  I put a percentage of every check into the thrift savings stuff for the army and don't touch that.  so what I do touch I generally spend.  its kinda hard in my occupation to work hard then save up when you know you are goin to war ya know?  anywho knowing how things are going with 50cal stuff these days it will probably get banned and its price will sky rocket.  might as well have now while I can afford it than dream about my wife letting me get one someday later...hell no.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been here long enough to know what 95% of the answers were going to be so I got it out of the way up front.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

That's the thing.  I don't have anything invested right now.  I'm new to investing.  I'm a pro at spending, though.

How old are you?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Shiloh Sharps rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

How old are you?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

SGP   still a little down but not out. Future products, top flite CEO, potential buyout candidate.
BMY   same deal maybe not as cheap.
PEC   recent IPO, good bet for upcoming hurricane season.
VISGX  I'm a sucker for small caps. (Still)
VEIEX   risky but the potential is there long term.
VIPSX   safe.
VWEHX  same maybe slightly more risk.
VUSTX  boooooring.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree 100%.  There are so many posts which relflect the "money buring a hole in the pocket" mentality.  What's is even more disgusting is when people have debts at high interest rates...get ahold of a bit of cash...and blow it on guns...with the paranoid justification "well...it could be outlawed tomorrow!"

Then again, there is the chance that the person with $3000 to blow is already heavily invested in real estate and equities and just plain wants to treat himself.

I hope the situation is the latter.

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

... Yup

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd buy a new Glock, a case of 9mm and a case of 5.56 and put the rest in my savings account.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Ok, I am of the opinion that the younger you are the less risk you need to take in order to have enough money for retirement.  I would look into possibly buying a 12 month CD though most banks require a minimum of some kind.  You may also do well putting the money into a savings account, let it draw interest while continually adding money to it.  Make it a habit to stick 10% of your paycheck into the savings account.  If you save up $5,000 start looking to stocks or high-yield bonds.  As you continue to add wealth you should explore more and more investments.  The trick is to remain diversified, keep enough cash on hand while putting money into higher yield stocks.  

I can not stress how important it is to keep saving and adding.  I have a friend who graduated with me 7 years ago.  He started off with $1,000 and now he has a $380,000 in investments (mostly realestate).  I also know some of this stuff because both my dad and uncle are financial advisors.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I want to get into trading stocks...

What's the best way for a beginner to get started?  Should I open an ETrade account and go from there?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
savings/investing

Why do you say they are so expensive? Model1sales.com.

We haven't had a bashing thread for those tards in a while.  This should get good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I think I want to get into trading stocks...

What's the best way for a beginner to get started?  Should I open an ETrade account and go from there?

The problem is, if you jump into trading stocks without any real experience you are going to loose money, you really need a pro to do it, the bad part about that is, most brokerage firms really don't give a rats ass about you unless you have over $50,000.  Stick the money into a savings account and read, read, read, and read. Learn about the market and study the stocks/sectors of interest.  As long as you have money in a savings account it will earn compounding interest so it isn't like it is just sitting there.  Earning  3.5% is a lot better than loosing 10%.  

Also keep in mind that just because the market dips down doesn't mean you can't make money you can short stocks during declines, purchase gold or treasury notes. So don't think that while the stockmarket is up is the time to dive in.  Some of the best buys/investments have occured after huge losses (think about if you bought lots of stock a week after 9/11) The worse market is one that is flat.  Subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, buy books from where-ever about the stockmarket and investing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Two words... Roth IRA
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Invest in a 200 gallon spray rig for my landscaping business.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Invest it in silver/gold
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#46]
If you're a homeowner, use the money on home improvement.  If you're not a homeowner, start saving for one.  

TC

[edited for spelling]

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Pay off my two credit cards that carry about a $2700 balance overall and throw the rest in savings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top