Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
And then tell them the Enterprise (doesn't matter which one) would be no match for an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Heretic!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I forgot about the Voyager series.   That was the one with the chick captain.  Janeway or something?

If I was stuck out in space, I'd be bangin that like a retard on a drum set!

Edited, cause I was too retarded to spell drum  

I'll be stealing that line!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My question is,   Is this the beginning of what has become known as the Borg?

Of Star Trek Next Generation fame? No, of course not.

Next gen takes place just a few hundred years (or less) after the Star Trek movies, and if you followed Next gen, you will know that Guinan and her people made contact with the Borg perhaps 1,000 years earlier. So, there is no possible relationship.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
FIrst off, I think you people should watch the first movie AND then watch and original series episode called "the changeling" It is basically the exact same story line. Except this probe was small enough to fit inside the enterprise. It combined with a super probe and got all mixed up so it thought it's mission was to "kill all imperfect lifeforms" And it mistook Captain Kirk for its 'creator' roykirk.
             As too the BORG , Well, (warning supergeek knowledge up ahead-->) Their is no connection between the borg and that movie as far as we know BUT, The  Borg are basically modeled on a "race" from the English Television show Dr. Who. These creatures were known as the Cyberman. The two are almost identical in every way. But here is how ST got away with stealing them. The Original dr who episodes about the cybermen were broadcast in 1964-1969. These old episodes were never really popular outside england and about 50% of the episodes were intentionaly destroyed in a fire!!! They needed to make room at the BBC so they just trashed em! It was only in the 80's that they began "searching for lost copies" to build an old bbc archive. They managed to salvage about 50%. If anyone here has the last episode of "the tenth planet" it is worth about 250,000$!! So check your basements!
                  Anyhew here is the comparison between the Borg and cybermen. The original episode was called the Tenth planet and their were other followups which expanded on the cybermen story like "tomb of the cybermen" Et al. so here is the list,1. cybermen were originally humanoids but then they began adding cybernetic implants into thier bodies to improve life. 2 they learned that they could program out "fear" and "emotions" so they became emotionless  3. They lived in a hive like orginisation with one "controller" cyberman who was the brain. 4. the cybernetics gave them super strength and intelligence. 5. In the episode "tomb of the cybermen" Scientists awoke them from their stasis. It was during this episode it was discovered they could "assimilate" others to rebuild their race. they would say "dont run, resistance is useless" (not futile! ) They even had that "robotic voice" and the controlleer would say "stop the humanoids The humanoids must not escape" (remeber the old video game beserk?) Also recall the old star trek brog episode where picard gets kidnapped and assimilated? Wel in this episode a man gets "assimilated" and become under the control of the "hive mind" then Just as the Scientists need help Dr. Who gets him to "realise his humanity" and he turns on the cybermen to help defeat them. Same as data helps capt picard to combat the borg. Well anyway the Trek writers just ripped off that old great show. It went off the air in 1989 but is now back on the air and better than ever. Though it might be a while before it gets broacast in the US. See what happens when you get a trekker (trekkie?) started!?!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I forgot about the Voyager series.   That was the one with the chick captain.  Janeway or something?

If I was stuck out in space, I'd be bangin that like a retard on a drum set!

Edited, cause I was too retarded to spell drum  

I'll be stealing that line!

On her like the last chopper out on 'Nam.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
OH AND FOR MY 3000th post
STAR TREK RULEZ!
or at least it did!
Now it just blows old donkey dick.
Oh and the new Star wars trilogy also blows old crusty gonnarheia infected donkey dick!
so HA!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everyone knows that there is an evolutionary scale for the Borg. The first step is amongst us now. It is not and will not be "v-ger." It is of course quite visible on PBS most weekdays. These dangerous life forms are amongst us now convincing our children that they are fun loving and harmless creatures. We now know better.

Beware the first evolutionary step toward the Borg. A blending of living matter with technology.
Teletubbies!

pbskids.org/teletubbies/parentsteachers/images/video.jpg

Is the yellow one getting a hummer

I never noticed. I just grabbeb the pic of the website.

Hmmm.... always wondered why they needed a giant shop vac.

Maybe they're the "John Holmes" Teletubbies?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]

If u read the thread this far u might want to note.

The 5th Annual
OFFICIAL STAR TREK CONVENTION
Celebrating The 40th Anniversary of Star Trek
August 17-20, 2006
Las Vegas, NV

Star Trek 40th Anniversary
September 8-10, 2006
Chicago, IL Area

Star Trek 40th Anniversary
September 8-10, 2006
Sacramento, CA

New York Area 40th Anniversary Star Trek Convention
November 10-12, 2006
Secaucus, New Jersey

PLANET XPO
Star Trek 40th Anniversary Gala Celebration & Conference
September 8-10, 2006
Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame
Seattle, WA

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/community/conventions.html

dig out your vulcan ears
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What the hell was Q anyways? ......  God

He was the reason I quit watching Star Trek altogether.  Ridiculous bullshit.

I suppose you object to Stargates Ascended Beings for the same reason? Its fiction.

I don't know from Stargate, I don't watch it either.  

I don't have a problem with fiction, just incompetent creators of it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It went off the air in 1989 but is now back on the air and better than ever. Though it might be a while before it gets broacast in the US. See what happens when you get a trekker (trekkie?) started!?!

It starts on the sci fi channel in a month or so.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It went off the air in 1989 but is now back on the air and better than ever. Though it might be a while before it gets broacast in the US. See what happens when you get a trekker (trekkie?) started!?!

It starts on the sci fi channel in a month or so.

It's a remake, like BSG.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And then tell them the Enterprise (doesn't matter which one) would be no match for an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Heretic!

Uhm, one was designed to seek out new life, the other was designed to snuff out new life.
Not much of a fight there. Kinda like stopping a bulldozer with a bullhorn. Y'know?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heretic!

Uhm, one was designed to seek out new life, the other was designed to snuff out new life.
Not much of a fight there. Kinda like stopping a bulldozer with a bullhorn. Y'know?

Whatever, I bet this baby here could blow them both out of the universe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FIrst off, I think you people should watch the first movie AND then watch and original series episode called "the changeling" It is basically the exact same story line. Except this probe was small enough to fit inside the enterprise. It combined with a super probe and got all mixed up so it thought it's mission was to "kill all imperfect lifeforms" And it mistook Captain Kirk for its 'creator' roykirk.

I am NOMAD.....

Nomad:(indicating Uhura) What is that unit?
Kirk: That unit is a woman.
Nomad: A mass of conflicting impulses.

The first Star Trek movie was a rip-off of "The Changeling" TV show.
True Trek geeks don't think that NOMAD ties in with the Borg, they think it ties in with "The Founders" from DS9 ala "Odo the Changeling".

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Gay?

Quoted:
7 of 9 never really did anything for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gay?

Quoted:
7 of 9 never really did anything for me.

The first thing I thought too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I think you are looking at this at way too small of a scale.  Yeah, fine, I can have my own holodeck, the ultimate home entertainment center.  Good gourmet meals on demand every night.  The finest wine, the hottest chick I can dream of in the holodeck.  All of these things are petty consumer items in such a world.

People will always want more, however.  They will want their own starship to cruise around in, just like people buy yachts now.  Think Paul Allen.

Scarcity will always exist on all levels, and there will always be have's and have not's.

Quoted:

The easiest way to explain the utopian society is their technology for instant replication of trade goods and food stuffs from raw elements.  When you eliminate the need and cost to produce, a Utopian society can and would work as there is no real advantage in the accumulation of wealth.  Everyone can have at little to no cost thus producing a society that does not have wants.  Therefore the only want is the quest for knowledge and self improvement.  See, its Logical.  Also understand that this is an earth with a vastly reduced population as they had already been through a couple of SHTF world wars and plaugues post 20th century before arriving at this point in developement.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think you are looking at this at way too small of a scale.  Yeah, fine, I can have my own holodeck, the ultimate home entertainment center.  Good gourmet meals on demand every night.  The finest wine, the hottest chick I can dream of in the holodeck.  All of these things are petty consumer items in such a world.

People will always want more, however.  They will want their own starship to cruise around in, just like people buy yachts now.  Think Paul Allen.

Scarcity will always exist on all levels, and there will always be have's and have not's.

Quoted:

The easiest way to explain the utopian society is their technology for instant replication of trade goods and food stuffs from raw elements.  When you eliminate the need and cost to produce, a Utopian society can and would work as there is no real advantage in the accumulation of wealth.  Everyone can have at little to no cost thus producing a society that does not have wants.  Therefore the only want is the quest for knowledge and self improvement.  See, its Logical.  Also understand that this is an earth with a vastly reduced population as they had already been through a couple of SHTF world wars and plaugues post 20th century before arriving at this point in developement.

I agree.  The have not's serve on starships.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#19]
The Star Trek "universe" is so full of inconsistencies that getting all geeky about its history is a waste of time, IMHO.

Still, since nobody has pointed out that the new prequel series, "Enterprise" also features a run-in with the Borg, I guess I will now.  As for whether that story in consistent with the movies or the other series, I have no idea - not do I care enough to watch them all and see.

I can't even figure out warp factors - and that is anpretty basic aspect of the show.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Star Trek "universe" is so full of inconsistencies that getting all geeky about its history is a waste of time, IMHO.

Still, since nobody has pointed out that the new prequel series, "Enterprise" also features a run-in with the Borg, I guess I will now.  As for whether that story in consistent with the movies or the other series, I have no idea - not do I care enough to watch them all and see.

I can't even figure out warp factors - and that is anpretty basic aspect of the show.

Oh Jeebus.  Please tell me you are joking.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
....the hottest chick I can dream of in the holodeck.  

I always wondered who had to clean up the holodeck after Janeway had cyber sex with her holographic boyfriend.

"Captain, you left your panties on holodeck 4 again. I see that you still have that nasty yeast infection."

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Warp factors are not consistent from the original series and it's movies to the Next Generation, as the scale shifted with the Introduction of Trans Warp drive and the later generations of warp technology.  The basic technology of the warp drive remains, but The later systems use it more efficiently to achieve wildly faster speeds, and I believe the progression from factor to factor is geometric rather than linear.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The Borg already had contact with the Federation before Q flung the E-D into the Delta quadrant.

A few episodes prior to that dealt with the unexplained loss of several outposts on the Federation/Romulan neutral zone. In those episodes it was said that the posts were obliterated and great rifts in the ground remained in their place. In the later episode where the E-D encounters the Borg ravaged planet in the Delta quadrant, they discover the same style of rifts.

It is later discovered that it was indeed the Borg that destroyed their outposts on the Neutral zone border, so the Borg already knew about them but found them unimportant and ignored them.

I still find it funny that despite all of their 'adaptation', Borg can still be killed with plain old projectile weapons!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he is not.  It is tied into the movie "first contact".  The wreckage of the sphere that the enterprise blew up in the past re-entered the atmosphere near the north pole.  A science team found them, thawed the bodies, and one of them came to life, assimilating the science crew.  The Enterprise NX01 tried to intercept, and the doctor was infected with nanoprobes, and almost killed himself trying to stop them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ah the finest example of an exception to the "Sequels are never as good as the original" rule.

Honestly, that movie was dull as hell.

I have a book with a great review detailing why it's so boring.  It goes like this:  Paramount wants to make a movie like Star Wars so they can make a bunch of cash too.  They owned the rights to Star Trek.  They wanted to make the most money possible so they wanted everyone to be able to see it.  The movie was written toward getting a "G" rating so even the kids could go see it.  Then they realized that a "G" rating means "boring" and asked the MPAA to give it a "PG" so adults would want to see it.  Problem is, they were already done filming.  Bang!  "G" movie with a "PG" rating.

Orinally in the script, when V'Ger went away, the three Klingon ships were supposed to be freed along with the Enterprise.  The enterprise was then supposed to defend Earth from them and nearly get destroyed in the process.  Would have dovetailed perfectly into the opening of Wrath of Khan where the Enterprise is once again in spacedock.  This idea was scrapped for being too costly.  Some decent action probably would have saved the movie.  Oh well, they did figure that out later...

BTW:  Best ST movies ever:
Pure Action:  Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Best overall:  Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Worst Ever:  Star Trek V:  The Final Frontier.

ETA:  I was a nerd, but I got better...

+1 on Undiscovered Country

This thread made me get out my Spock ears and dust off my Klingon Dictionary.  I too was a nerd but got over it.

I still like Star Trek...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heretic!

better yet, go into the Trekkie chat rooms and start discussing Planet of the Apes.  Drives them up the fucking WALL.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Errhhh.. no - did I commit some sort of trekkie faux pas?  Is that series not part of accepted "canon?"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heretic!

As a die-hard Star Wars fan I must post this simple series of events...

This

+ This

=

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#29]
According to the books (yes I have read them) V'ger was made better by the borg or the borgs creators.  My problem is Vger is more powerful than a borg cube and what happened to decker?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#30]
In William Shatner's novel, "The Return", in which the Romulans and the Borg team up to revive Kirk and destroy the Federation, Spock was nearly assimilated by the Borg, but was saved by the fact that he mind-melded with V'ger. This is because, according to Shatner's novel, the alien race that found V'ger was an earlier form of the Borg. (Gene Roddenberry had speculated that perhaps the living machine world found by V'ger was the Borg homeworld.) Spock was saved from assimilation because he had part of the Borg Collective in his mind when he mind-melded with V'ger.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Errhhh.. no - did I commit some sort of trekkie faux pas?  Is that series not part of accepted "canon?"

No, its just that such a move is bad even by star trek plot standards.  Although finding the wreckage of the sphere from first contact make it less bad then I thought.  The whole plot of the Borg is that they were a really dangerous race that Q introduced the federation to to teach them a lesson.  This just doesn't make sense if they already knew where Earth was.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Blame Shatner not me
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#33]
How the Hell do you guys watch this stuff?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#34]
There's a reason why this film is jokingly referred to as "Star Trek: The Motionless Picture"
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
How the Hell do you guys watch this stuff?

Its more entertaining than 24.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't watch that either...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
In William Shatner's novel, "The Return", in which the Romulans and the Borg team up to revive Kirk and destroy the Federation, Spock was nearly assimilated by the Borg, but was saved by the fact that he mind-melded with V'ger. This is because, according to Shatner's novel, the alien race that found V'ger was an earlier form of the Borg. (Gene Roddenberry had speculated that perhaps the living machine world found by V'ger was the Borg homeworld.) Spock was saved from assimilation because he had part of the Borg Collective in his mind when he mind-melded with V'ger.

Thats working just a tad bit too hard trying to bring the two series' subject material in line with each other, I think. How  was it that no record of this "first contact" made it into the 24th century to Picard and his crew? It seems like they had records of every time Kirk or anyone in Starfleet history passed gas..you would think that would have been a major "gotta know" thing in the 24th century.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Spoiler alert.....
It's just a TV show and it's all made up.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I just picked up a 4 disc set at Walmart "STAR TREK: Borg; Fan Collective". I'm guessing it has every episode that features the Borg. The first episode is from Star Trek Enterprise, episode #49. Then several episodes of TNG and finally many from ST Voyager. Should be a good set.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top