Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 4:55:27 PM EDT
in Ireland? It's not nearly as good here, or even in England.

I also like the black current they put in it sometimes, but haven't been able to find it over here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Unlike wine & whiskey, beer is better when it's fresh. Since Guinness is not brewed in the US (I've been told in here), that would mean a slow boat crossing, no? Thus would be the taste difference, IMO.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
yea what he said ^  it's better fresh and you can't get a faster turn over on beer than in Ireland
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Guinness sold/consumed in the US is shipped here from Ireland (oddly, the Guinness consumed in Canada is made in Canada.) I went to the brewery when in Dublin (even though it isn't the current location of the real brewery) and they explained where the plants are and where what is shipped.

Wake up and go for a jog in the morning, you would be amazed at the # of empty kegs out by the pubs. They deliver the stuff on a flat bed truck.

I love Guinness, but the fucking bottles are the most awful idea ever.

Also, taste has to do with the quality of the tap, temp, and of course pour. I have been to a few places (pubs) in the U.S. where a pint tastes pretty damn close.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, guys, it's because the beer that's shipped to the US has been pasteurized, per FDA guidelines for the USA.  In Ireland, they have no restrictions, erego, it's unpasteurized.

and that is the difference.

Yup.  Been to Ireland, done the Guinness tour in Dublin.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't really like it there either and my grandad worked there.  I'm now spoiled by these local microbrews.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
They piss in the brew thats leaving the country.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They piss in the brew thats leaving the country.  

But it's Guinness.  They drop a deuce in all of the brew.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Not to be contrary Mr.  Cole but beer must age a little.
When it is brewed fresh it has a “green taste”.  Under ideal conditions it will sit on a nice cool dark shelf for a month waiting to be sold.  Most beers are best 2-3 months after they finish brewing.  After 6 months they start to go downhill fast.  If you store them in warm conditions they can go bad in 2-3 months.  If they get hot and cold a few times they can go bad in a week or two.  

Beer is just like fine wine.  It likes to be kept cool.  But most beers go bad relatively quickly.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
in Ireland? It's not nearly as good here, or even in England.

I also like the black current they put in it sometimes, but haven't been able to find it over here.

Ditto.

There will be those who say it's merely "freshness" but IMHO this is also the crowd that falls for "Freshness Dates" on their Corn/Rice lite near-beers.  I attribute the superiority of Guiness in Ireland to supernatural agencies who intervene in situ to make the act of imbibing Guiness in Ireland ( more specifically in a pub ) one of sublime and uplifiting glory.  Seriously, it's better over there.

Guiness For Strength.

This beer snobbery brought to you by a man with an actual Irish surname Ad Astra Per Aspera
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I attribute the superiority of Guiness in Ireland to supernatural agencies who intervene in situ to make the act of imbibing Guiness in Ireland ( more specifically in a pub ) one of sublime and uplifiting glory.  Seriously, it's better over there.

Actually...
It's because Guinness is freshly squeezed in Ireland on the inner thighs of young Irish virgins.

mmm, beer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It isnt just Guinness, bottled beer in general tastes different than the same beer from a keg.  Abita ruined Turbo Dog when they bottled it, tastes like shit compared to the keg version.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
According to the information in James' Gate, Irish Guinness doesn't actually last very long, it needs to be drunk pretty quickly. For export purposes, they have a different brew, which lasts longer, and as a result tastes a bit different.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#14]

It's because Guinness is freshly squeezed in Ireland on the inner thighs of young Irish virgins.

What's an 'irish virgin' .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#15]
How do they maintain production with so few virgins?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I attribute the superiority of Guiness in Ireland to supernatural agencies who intervene in situ to make the act of imbibing Guiness in Ireland ( more specifically in a pub ) one of sublime and uplifiting glory.  Seriously, it's better over there.

Actually...

mmm, beer.

There is no such thing as an Irish virgin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not to be contrary Mr.  Cole

Why should you be different than everyone else in here?????  

but beer must age a little.

(Shrugs) I'm going by what home brewers tell me. I'll ask some brew pub dudes & see what they say too?

When it is brewed fresh it has a “green taste”.

And here I thought that was Heiniken???????  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Actually...

No such thing, sir!    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm a big guiness fan and for a heads up it is $5.90 a six pack of bottles in walmart I left with a cart full tonight.

so back to the original post if I store it in a cool place in the basement how long should I expect it to stay good?
I got five cases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top