Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:30:28 PM EDT
The daughter has a science project.  She has to drop an ordinary egg from 10 meters high and not break it.

Ideas:

Her's:  She has taken a 1 liter Pepsi bottle, cut it in half and filled it with cotton and secured the two ends together before her drop.  I like the Pepsi bottle but it didn't work.

My ideas:  Take a water balloon filled with water at the bottom of her Pepsi bottle, egg, water balloon secure and drop.

I've also thought about coating her egg in rubber cement and then filling with water.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Paint it with some of that pickup bed liner stuff.  You should be able to just drop it by itself then.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same thing when I was in grade school.

I used a small cardboard box.  Lined the bottom, sides, and top with several egg cartons, and wrapped the egg and the whole center of the box with fiberglass insulation (lots of it).  It took a fall from the top of the Gym roof at the middle school at the time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Drop into a tub of water.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay,

This has officially made me feel old.

I remember the egg drop but mine broke. I can't remember how they did it to make it not break.
I am thinking one person used TP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Drop into a tub of water.

That was another one of my ideas.  How much volocity would an egg have from 10 meters high?  Would hitting the water be almost as hard as hitting the floor?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My son embedded his egg in a one-cubic-foot brick of red jello.  The egg broke, but it was spectacular.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
We had those in college.  All us engineering types came up with various contraptions involving cushioning, gels, ventable materials (foam shoots past egg as it descends in a column during impact), etc.

The drop was from the top floor of the 7 story engineering building, and accuracy counted.

The winner was one of my smart aleck roomates, a computer science major.  He simply took a regular foam egg carton, cut off one third of it, and inverted the halves so the egg was positioned in the "hollow" thus formed.  Ie, turned the carton inside out.

He won.  He hit the bullseye, and the egg survived.  I guess he reasoned a lot of engineering had already gone into perfecting that material, so who was he to second guess.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Drop it into a pot of boiling chicken broth. If it does break----Whaaaa La, egg drop soup.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Drop it into a pot of boiling chicken broth. If it does break----Whaaaa La, egg drop soup.  

And some people pay for comedians.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I did it in high school. I put it in the tube for the paper towel roll and put a parachute on it made from a plastic bag and threw it off the school roof. It worked no problem.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always wondered if you could just stuff it back in a chicken and throw the chicken.

That would work, right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've always wondered if you could just stuff it back in a chicken and throw the chicken.

That would work, right?

lol, any ideas on how to get the chicken to take it back?  Maybe stuffing it in a rubber chicken might do the trick but we're fresh out of rubber chickens around here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]

lol, any ideas on how to get the chicken to take it back?

you might have to buy it dinner first....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Add in a parachute. Give it some ribs for support so you don't have issues with it opening. Works well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
My son did it by gluing together a framework out of popsickle sticks, and suspending the egg with rubber bands in the center in a cradle made from a section of the carton.  Survived off the school roof, no problem.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Two Choices (or a combination)---

Cushion the Fall:

Multi Layered Stuff....Hard Shell (say the size of a small beach ball).  Line with Styrofoam, then interior layers of progressively softer material.    Might Put some kind of a streamer/parachute on the end of the ball to ensure it falls in a regular orientation, and put some kind of collapsing material (shock absorber) at the impact end.

Slow The Fall:

Parachute (mentioned above) would work.

Could make a helicopter (whatever you call the maple seeds) type setup--two blades with the egg in the middle to provide weight (a bit difficult to control).  Be fun to watch.

Make sure the egg hits long axis perpindicular to the ground (stronger that way).

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Put the egg in a small box and stuff it with cotton balls. Attach as many partialy inflated (to give it more bounce when it lands) balloons as you can to the outside of it. If allowed fill the balloons with helium to help slow the descent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Place it in a foam filled box, attach heavy baloons all over the outside so it lands like the Mars Rover.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#21]
If you've got the time to experiment, soak an egg in vinegar for several hours.  Should soften the shell so it wouldn't be as brittle and might take shock a little better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]
best idea EVER

i did this in 3rd grade.          

what you need:

1. large coffee can with that plastic lid
2. excess 'egg crate' foam
3. egg

cut the foam in circular shapes that will fit snugly in the coffee can.  for the middle 2-3 layers or so (you can probably get like 7 layers or more in there)  i cut a hole that kept the egg tight.  you need the hole so the egg has room to not be crushed when packing excess egg crate (that yellow stuff) in.

works like a charm.

edit:  although this was done from the ceiling of the classroom, so like 10 feet, not 10 meters.  i'd suggest parachute
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a 1' x 1' x 1' cardboard box. Run two strips of tape in parallel (sticky sides facing each other) to opposite, diagonal corners. Put the egg between the two pieces of tape and seal the tape, so the egg is hanging in the center of the box.

You could drop the egg from a friggen 10 story building and it'd be OK. Or at least that's how I did my egg drop.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]
We had to do this for physics class in high school using drinking straws and duct-tape.  You had a certain number of straws you were allowed to use (can't remember what it was) to keep the egg safe.  Mine worked
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Get a 1' x 1' x 1' cardboard box. Run two strips of tape in parallel (sticky sides facing each other) to opposite, diagonal corners. Put the egg between the two pieces of tape and seal the tape, so the egg is hanging in the center of the box.

You could drop the egg from a friggen 10 story building and it'd be OK. Or at least that's how I did my egg drop.

I did something like this only I used panty hosed that I streched out so they gave very little.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Big black trash bag full of crumbled up news paper, egg wrapped in news paper, stick eggin middle of bag, throw around like a rag doll.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#28]
When I did it at Cub scout camp back in the day I had 3 Metal Hoops, arranged like the old school model of the atom.  I packed the egg in one of those little half pint milk boxes with cotton and suspended it inside the sphere with rubber bands.  The sphere took most of the energy of the fall while the rubber bands countered the inertia of the egg/box
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I competed nationally in this event for something called "Science Olympiad" when I was in junior high. Accuracy counted and weight was the tie breaker. Here is my design:

Take a grocery bag and cut a 10"x10" square. Soak that in a mixture of 70% elmers white glue and 30% water. Take the well saturated paper and remove any excess glue/water mixture. Wrap that around a 2" diameter piece of greased (I used spray PAM) 2" diameter PVC and allow it to dry completely. Now take a sandwich baggy and fill it about halfway with a mix of crisco and water so that it is pliable and attach that to one end of the tube. This functions as your shock absorber and it is also firm enough that the tube will stay vertical. Take your egg and wrap it in a damp paper towel until it will just barely fit into the tube. This creates an airtight space between the egg and the bottom of the tube. The air is the cushion protecting the egg, but the tube must stay upright in order to function. Make some cool fins out of plastic or cardboard to help the tube track straight on the way down.

This design was light and accurate and protected the egg from drops over 100'.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#30]

That's all I got.  Sorry.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not the fall that breaks the egg...

It's the sudden stop.

Work from there.

GM
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Use Sobosain (s/p?) a kind of shock absorbing gel.
Or put the egg inside plastic container filled with really viscous oil.

Both of those should work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#33]
This was a very easy project in school.  All I did was wrap the egg in bubble wrap.  Then I walked up to the edge.  Took off my shoe and shoved the egg into my shoe.  Drop the shoe off the side...and I promise the egg will not break.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Take a boullion cube cylinder

Put some sand or salt in it (about 1/3 full).

Put the egg on top of the sand, and fill the rest of the way.  Don't pack it, just let it loose.
(Sand is a very good distributor of force - that's why they're used for emplacements; bullets have trouble getting through it)

Suspend the can inside a #10 can (i.e. big coffee can) with a good number of rubber bands.  Make sure that it's free to move a little.

A little padding outside can't hurt.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Drop it from an 11 meter ladder.

When it falls 10 meters and doesn't break, say "I win!"

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#36]
take the egg and place it in a bottle wrapped in seran wrap. It should look like a sperm. Then fill the bottle with carpenters seal foam. Let dry. Drop. Easy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Stuff the egg up Hillary's butt and then push her off the roof.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#38]
We did this every year at my college. We had to drop it off a 7 story building (approx. 25M). The answer is surprisingly simple and effective. It is so simple that only the winners used it, everyone else basically made silly joke things, like an egg in a bag of jelly--splash the audience! . My fav' was a bag of superballs!

Anyway, this reaches terminal velocity very quickly and will handle a fall of any height. It should handle 10M no sweat:

1. Get a 3 or 4" diameter tube approx. 12-18" long.
2. Put some fins on it at one end (the tail) to that it will fall straight.
3. Make a soft foam plug that fills the nose half. Make the foam long enough so that a mushroom tip shape is formed as the actual nose.
4. Place a small piece of hollowed out foam above this just long enough to hold the egg. This gives enough lateral cushioning so that the egg survives when the "missile" falls over at the end of the drop (the fins help, too).
5. Put the egg in from the tail end.
6. Place another piece of foam into and filling the tail.
7. Do not pack the foam so tight that it has no give.

Works every time. It's accurate, too in case accuracy counts in your competition.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#39]
A box full of sawdust.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#40]
my high school teacher only gave 3 A's on this test

most creative/new design

simplist design

most complicated design

i got an A for the simplist design, i stuck it in a loaf of bread, with the bag from the bread acting as a streamer to keep it up right, it survived a drop from 20 feet, then a drop from 30 feet, then a drop from 40 feet finally it broke at 50 feet. most designs only lasted one drop, and he did not tell us about the multible drops till that day
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Hardboil it
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#42]
As mentioned the autogyro or parachute will work.

Also you can encase the egg in a something and suspended it in the middle of a hollow ball.  The suspension needs to take account all 6 directions so you have to have at least 6 rubber bands.  The egg in a cushioned container is held tightly and is suspened in the middle of a hollow ball.  The ball should have some give as well.

The suspension rubberbands cant give so much that it wll hit the inside of the ball.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#43]
i hope im not the only one who opened this thread expecting to talk about IRC.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#44]
This is how I did it. Put it in a rubber ballon. Fill it with water and drop into water.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#45]
OK this is really an easy one...

Take your pepsi bottle, use the toe of a nylon or a plastic bag to hold the egg suspended in the center of the bottle top half...  then remember "Demolition Man" " The car turned into a canoli" "The Secure foam saved your life John Spartan" fill it with great stuff spray foam.... a single wrap of tape to hold the bottle halves together....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I went through this with my Son a few years ago .
All that I did was explain the physics involved and he
came up with the idea of large mass , low weight .

He ended up gluing about 30 layers of Styrofoam packing
peanuts to a toilet paper tube that held the egg .
He made it into the final round at 30 meters which they were
dropping from a fire dept. Ariel lift truck .

He might have actually won if the wind didn’t carry the
package and cause it to land on the top of  " No Parking "
sign , which ripped it open .

The winner also used packing peanuts , but she put them
a series of progressively larger plastic bags to make the layers .
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Stuff the egg up Hillary's butt and then push her off the roof.

Johnny wins the contest!

But the question is; when you pull out the egg, will it be a diamond?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Did the same one last year. Used a parachute. Make sure you cut a hole in the middle to let some air pass thru it.

BTW, my daughter won as she was the only one in the class that didnt break the egg. There were 2 other parachutes, just not big enough and one didnt open.

CH
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Best designs are ypically ones that redirect the force.

Build a frame that can take a decent amount of force,  make it a cube, attach rubber bands to all corners, make sure that there isnt enough stretch for the harness to touch any of the "Walls" of the cube.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#50]
THIS ONE WORKS!!!

I had to do this in 6th grade and the one I came up with worked better than any other in the school. They kept dropping it from higher and higher, finally reaching 100 ft and it still didn't break! All the other kids designs crapped out at under 20 ft.

I used a dense styrofoam ball from a craft store a little bigger than a soft ball. Cut it half and hollow out a section of each half about a 1/2" bigger than the egg on all sides. Line this cavity tightly with cotton. Place the egg in the middle. You want it all to fit togther as tightly as possible. Wrap the seam where the two halves go together in duct tape. That's it, you're done.

Let them try to break the egg.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top