Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 8:37:30 PM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/10/airman.shot.ap/index.html

-

Veteran shot by cop: It's hard to walk

Friday, March 10, 2006; Posted: 9:29 a.m. EST (14:29 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The 21-year-old Iraq war veteran seen in a video being shot by a sheriff's deputy says in a recorded statement that he has difficulty walking.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion released a videotaped statement through his attorney Thursday, a day after San Bernardino County sheriff's Deputy Ivory J. Webb pleaded not guilty to attempted voluntary manslaughter and was released on $100,000 bail.

"My physical therapy continues to progress and I still have difficulties walking," Carrion says, looking into the video camera.

"I'm sorry I haven't been able to speak publicly, but right now I'm focused on my physical therapy and healing."

The tape shows him sitting on a couch next to his wife and moving around with the aid of a walker.

The January 29 shooting was videotaped by a bystander and broadcast on U.S. national television. (Watch the shots being fired -- 1:00)

It shows Webb shooting Carrion, who was not armed, in the chest, shoulder and thigh after a brief high-speed chase involving a car in which the airman was a passenger.

Webb, who faces up to 18 1/2 years in prison if convicted, has not spoken publicly about the shooting.

Carrion, who is assigned to a security unit at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, Louisiana, has not been charged with a crime.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Carrion, who is assigned to a security unit at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, Louisiana, has not been charged with a crime.

I guess we can all rest easy.  Apparently, they have not made getting shot while complying with a JBT's instructions a crime.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I guess we can all rest easy.  Apparently, they have not made getting shot while complying with a JBT's instructions a crime.

I thought for sure he would have been charged that night. The tape must have come out the next morning before he could be charged.  The officer should have charged him if for nothing else but to CYA for the shooting report.

On the other hand

Maybe the officer KNEW it was a bad shoot and decided to not try to cover it up so no charges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top