Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 6:51:14 PM EDT
I've been wanting to visit Alaska since I was a teenager, and I am finally going to break down and do it.  One of my best friends is stationed at Ft Greely and has been bugging me to visit him while he's still there, and I am finally going to go this coming August.  Just bought the tickets on priceline.
From what he tells me, there's even a chance I could get to go along on a caribou hunt!
Damn, it's still 5 months away and I am already psyched.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope you have a great time.  I always enjoy my trips up there.  Enjoy the bugs!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've been wanting to visit Alaska since I was a teenager, and I am finally going to break down and do it.  One of my best friends is stationed at Ft Greely and has been bugging me to visit him while he's still there, and I am finally going to go this coming August.  Just bought the tickets on priceline.
From what he tells me, there's even a chance I could get to go along on a caribou hunt!
Damn, it's still 5 months away and I am already psyched.

Man I've always wanted to go to Alaska, I was actually thinking about Alaska over Pa. when I made this last move.
We were going to buy a small restaurant and hotel.
You're a luck man Rik, enjoy yourself and take mega pics.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Let us know how it turns out.
Contact some of the ARFCOM members through the Alaska Hometown forums, I'm sure they could help out with any questions. Good bunch of guys up there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for you man! Im wanting to go there myself.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't blink... it's beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hope you have a great time.  I always enjoy my trips up there.  Enjoy the bugs!

Yeah, I've been warned about that. Is Deep Woods Off effective or will I have to resort to even more drastic measures?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Man I've always wanted to go to Alaska, I was actually thinking about Alaska over Pa. when I made this last move.
We were going to buy a small restaurant and hotel.
You're a luck man Rik, enjoy yourself and take mega pics.

Thanks, I will definitely be taking gigabytes worth of pictures.  Between our family trip to Yellowstone in June and my solo to Alaska in August, I will be wearing out the shutter on my SLR!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Let us know how it turns out.
Contact some of the ARFCOM members through the Alaska Hometown forums, I'm sure they could help out with any questions. Good bunch of guys up there.

I am hoping my friend will be able to get leave to act as my guide.  If all else fails, though, I will just crash at his house and go my own way during the day.  He's only about a four hour drive from Denali...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#9]
We did the cruise ship tourist thing two summers ago. All i can say is WOW for a flatlander from Florida i was slack-jawed for a week. Alaska has to be one of the most beautiful places God has put in this earth cant wait to go back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We did the cruise ship tourist thing two summers ago. All i can say is WOW for a flatlander from Florida i was slack-jawed for a week. Alaska has to be one of the most beautiful places God has put in this earth cant wait to go back.

I know what you mean.  I am a FL native myself...I will never forget the first time I saw the Grand Canyon.  Being out west was like being on another planet.  Alaska is going to be incredible.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I would love to go there one day.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#12]
For the bugs I sprayed my clothes with something...can't remember the name, you spray it on your clothes and let it dry before putting on your clothes, but it worked pretty good, I used "Bens" for my face and arms.  I still had to use a head net at times.  All items are available from Sportsman's Warehouse.  I really like to go in late Fall, after the first cold frost most of the bugs die off and the colors of the plants are wonderful.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#13]
If you spray it on your clothes and then let them dry, it's most likely a permethrin based spray.  Permanone is a brand name for it around here.

Quoted:
For the bugs I sprayed my clothes with something...can't remember the name, you spray it on your clothes and let it dry before putting on your clothes, .

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#14]
For the bugs, 100% deet, and get some Benedryl cream/spray for the bites you still get.

no-seeums are far worse that the skeeters.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.  You and the AK crew should get together for dinner or something, maybe bust some caps at the Fairbanks range with Mike and his awesome class III toys.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Good for you man! Im wanting to go there myself.

Don't blink?  It is sooo big how could he miss anything?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Don't blink... it's beautiful.

I meant to quote this one... my wife was talking and distracted me... damb woman.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top