Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:22:57 PM EDT
First off, I have no cat. I have no problem with people who have cats. But there are cats in my nighborhood who keep coming on to my property and spraying all over the place. Front porch, back porch, all over my motorcycle and truck. The whole place smells of cat piss. I'm fed up and ready to take action. Should I load up the .22 and let em fly? What other options do I have?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Should I load up the .22 and let em fly?

yes
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
As a cat owner I say get a dog and let the two figure it out.  In the mean time if you see a cat on your property play the part of the dog by yelling at it and chasing it away.  Cat's don't like to be bothered so if you make it's life a pain it will find somewhere else to hang out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I load up the .22 and let em fly?

yes

That's my take but wifey's giving me static.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
UTT OHHH

HERE KITTY KITTY

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Pic up a cheap semi-auto paint gun at WalMart.

The cats live,your wife doesn't get traumatized by dead cat bodies,
the cats go somewhere friendlier,and you get some target
practice.

Just get one with a lower ball speed like 180 FPS and don't be a Jerk
and aim for the face.

A high power water hose is a good idea as well.

The HATE water.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear they taste just like chicken
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
run them off in a civil manner. agree you can run them off in a civil and easy way with hose, paint gun, ect. or phone animal control. there be a cat in heat close by so they'd likely move on after not long, but in the meantime you could sitll use the hose.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pic up a cheap semi-auto paint gun at WalMart.

The cats live,your wife doesn't get traumatized by dead cat bodies,
the cats go somewhere friendlier,and you get some target
practice.

Just get one with a lower ball speed like 180 FPS and don't be a Jerk
and aim for the face.

A high power water hose is a good idea as well.

The HATE water.

Thats a good idea, but I never see these cats during the day. Seems they show up later in the evening.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Paintballs and a slingshot;  it's not just critter control...it's a sport
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a guy who wired a 3'x3' square of sheet metal and a steel pie pan to an extension cord, filled the pan with milk, slid a piece of inner tube between the sheet metal and the pan, and plugged the extension cord in.

No more cat problems.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The cats are pissing on everything, because there are un-neutered males around, marking their territory. You could borrow a live trap from the local animal shelter, trap them, bring them in to be neutered (many shelters have low or no-cost programs to help defray the cost), and release them. If you just kill them, more will move in, and you won't get anywhere with that approach, long-term.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know a guy who wired a 3'x3' square of sheet metal and a steel pie pan to an extension cord, filled the pan with milk, slid a piece of inner tube between the sheet metal and the pan, and plugged the extension cord in.

No more cat problems.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
First off, I have no cat. I have no problem with people who have cats. But there are cats in my nighborhood who keep coming on to my property and spraying all over the place. Front porch, back porch, all over my motorcycle and truck. The whole place smells of cat piss. I'm fed up and ready to take action. Should I load up the .22 and let em fly? What other options do I have?

Tonk em with a maglight.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
just shoot the fucking thing.  the wife doesnt need to know.  plug it and dispose of the body. i am assuming this is a stray, and not the neighbor's cat.  I wouldnt go killing a neighbor's pet, but strays are fair game IMO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the bike a Harley or a jap bike?  If it's a jap bike, give me your address and I'll send a case of can food to the cat for a job well done.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a live trap on the cats around my house that get to be a problem. The ones at the farm where I raise game birds get a 40grain hollow point.

Trap those suckers and take'em to the pound.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish people wouldn't let their cats roam loose. I keep mine indoors. sometimes he does escape. One of mine (had 2) ran off last year. tonight I saw a cat just like her get creamed by a car on 41. the poor thing was flopping in the road dying. I made another onlooker run it over again to finish it off.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Rat traps and tuna.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#19]
dispatch the Gato,don't Brag about it,,,,,I love Pussie don't get me wrong
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Cat's don't like to be bothered so if you make it's life a pain it will find somewhere else to hang out.

So true. 1 or 2 paintballs in the ass usually sends them to the hills.

Or live trap it. Than take it far away. If it comes back, use a .22 Short. SSS!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tonk em with a maglight.

Now you did it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]
WWSGTAR15D?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Mudflap, sheetmetal extension cord and a can of tuna. sheetmetal laid on ground cut out a piece of the mudflap about the size of a can of tuna. cut the end off the extension cord attach one end to the sheetmetal, place the other end on the tuna can (open can before plugging in) PLACE THE FLAP CUTOUT ON THE SHEETMETAL place can on the cutout, and plug it in.

For squirrels just put peanut butter on cord and plug in.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
1: Shoot to kill....use somethin big so theres no body left
2: Paintball.....get one with an adjustable FPS and crank it
3: Slingshot/blowgun......get the sharp pointy tips
4: the electrical wiring thing
5: rat trap......
6: 6 cell Mag-Light
7: Dog
8: go to an elevator and get some fly-bait, mix with milk.......or antifreeze
9: bayonet???
10: Is that truck a 4x4????  Run em down....get a door gunner just in case
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
No need to kill them.  Be an adult and call animal control.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Just put out a trap with a can of catfood in it.  My grandfather used to "dispose" of the ones he caught (strays) until it became politically incorrect to do so.    

You can just take them to the pound once you catch them.  My aunt moved into a house that a "cat woman" lived in (this crazy bitch had like 30 cats that she "recued".  Besides having the remove all the nasty carpeting and parts of the floor, strays kept coming back for months after they moved.  So we set traps and brought the cats to animal control.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#27]
You can try sprinkling some garlic powder around where they come onto your property. It worked to keep cats off of my boat and my trash cans. They walk on it, and when they lick their feet to groom it stops them cold.

Of course, Aguila makes a real quiet .22 round.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I would only shoot a cat on my property if it was clearly diseased.  

Otherwise, try the water hose approach.  They hate water as it is.  Use a nozzle that's so high-powered it can sting your hand when you put it into the stream.  It'll probably be traumatizing enough to keep them away.  That's of course, if you catch them outside.

If all else fails, I'd just call animal control.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Get some CCI CB ammo. I think it stands for capped bullet or something. They are about as loud as a bb gun and will lay a cat on its ass. Why call animal control, they are just going to keep it for a week, then gas it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Sounds like its time for a cat drive
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Airsoft.

or get your self a bigger Cat.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I have the same problem, I don't remember cats pissing all over the place when I was a kid. They seem to hate me inparticular and lie in wait until I open my garage door, then they run in and piss on something. The stench seeps up to the attic which in turn seeps down through my flourescent light fixtures.

I used to wonder why people hate cats, now I know. Disgusting dirty creatures.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I catch them in my live trap, if they don't have a collars, animal control is called. They know my voice by now and show up in the alley and not out in the ft I leave the back gate open. Now if there's a collar and I can reach the owner then I give a call as the phone number is engraved on the back putting it to the owner how lucky they are that I called them and the reason that I'm trapping the cats is that they are craping and spraying anything that will hold still long enough, has gotten them to think about getting the shits fixed. Best bait is small cans of potted meat (Spam) I at least make their last meal enjoyable. You can pretty much tell the ones that are someone’s pet with or without collars by looking at their coats the feral ones fur is nasty and unkept. Tried the taking out into the country deal but that just passes the problem on to someone else and might start a rabies problem. Allot of the out in the country people come to the pound and get several of these cats to take back for rodent control most have to replenish their stocks as the coyotes make a nice little dinner out of them. In fact right now theres a nice big one, no collar nice coat sitting in my trap(big 20 pounder might be prago),might post a poll to release or make the dead man walking call.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I have no problem killing stupid animals that invade my property If they dont have a collar SHOOT TO KILL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Outside cats ought to be destroyed, Trap them and get rid of them.  My local animal control with loan out traps and then take any and all that are captured.  Fortunately, almost all are destroyed.  Feral cats are always destroyed.  Few tame cats are ever claimed.

People who let their cats run free in town are idiotic pains in the collective ass of the rest of civilization that does not see the world as their pets' personal litter box and breeding ground.  Outdoor cats are environmental disasters.

Never marry a woman who harbors the unfulfilled desire to be a cat rancher on the urban open prairie.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#36]
AR15.com Code of Conduct:
4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.

Any moderator going to lock this thread? People are encouraging this guy to use a firearm in an illegal manner.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.
Any moderator going to lock this thread? People are encouraging this guy to use a firearm in an illegal manner.[/quote
cats or rats are not considered a living person and how do you know that people are using a firearm in a illegal manner? not all places have the same laws you have
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Any moderator going to lock this thread? People are encouraging this guy to use a firearm in an illegal manner.[/quote
cats or rats are not considered a living person and how do you know that people are using a firearm in a illegal manner? not all places have the same laws you have

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:07:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Airsoft.  Less evidence like a paintball gun would leave, cheap, quieter than a paintball gun (I do have both) and much less risk of injury than with a paintball gun (I have been shot with both).  Figure it this way, .68 caliber ball full of paint travelling at 300 feet per second or .24 caliber plastic ball that is much lighter than the paintball travelling at 220-280 feet per second.  Plus, airsoft is more accurate and has a flatter trajectory.  If the cats are on your property and you're not pissing off the neighbors, then go for it.  I like cats personally, so please don't kill/injure them.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:10:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to

Then do not harm or touch those Ring flies you have
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Cats are predators and are the worst enemy of domestic song birds and such. Free roaming cats are a serious nuisance and should be treated as such.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:46:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Go with the cat trap.  Very efficient.  Many if not all animal shelters have them where you can check one out with a 25 to 100 $ deposit which you get back as soon as you return it.  

The first time we put out a trap, it was less than five minutes before we trapped a cat.  For your legal protection, make sure you get a reciept from the animal shelter each time you take in a cat.

That way if your local wacko cat rancher decides to sue you, you have proof that you took the legal route.

As for more cats moving back in... we found something strange, the same as with trapping house sparrows...  trapped animals apparently put out some kind of pheromones ('the scent of fear') that may serve to warn off others.  At least for a while.  That has certainly been out experience with trapping both cats and house sparrows.  After about three good "catches", no more of them come back.  How long this effect lasts remains to be seen.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Any moderator going to lock this thread? People are encouraging this guy to use a firearm in an illegal manner.

Shooting stray cats is not illegal. Atleast not around here. So no, no rules are being broken.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:50:40 AM EDT
[#44]
My old paintball marker worked well when the neighbors dog didnt want to shut up and they did nothing. It will work fine for the cats. Will hurt them but not kill them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Huh The legality depends on Florida law, which is the original poster's responsibility to know and follow.  He is talking about engaging in pest control on his own property.  While I don't advocate killing cats (I like them personally and my posts recommended airsoft), I don't feel that any illegal activities are being encouraged here.  We are all adults here, we're all responsible for our own actions.  Trying to say "Well, people on ARFCOM encouraged me to do X" is not going to hold up in a court of law.  Above all, people are responsible for knowing and following the laws particular to their locality.  For instance, in West Virginia, the poster would be well within the law if he were to shoot cats on his property.  While in Maryland, you would likely risk a cruelty against animals charge.  I have no idea what Florida law says about this (or, more importantly, what the local laws in the poster's part of Florida say).  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Hey, if you back over em after you shoot them it looks like an accident.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#47]
I live in a rural part of Florida, im not real sure if my county even has animal control. Even if we do, animal control usually destroy strays if they're not claimed. So I might as well have some fun, right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

As for more cats moving back in... we found something strange, the same as with trapping house sparrows...  trapped animals apparently put out some kind of pheromones ('the scent of fear') that may serve to warn off others.  At least for a while.  That has certainly been out experience with trapping both cats and house sparrows.  After about three good "catches", no more of them come back.  How long this effect lasts remains to be seen.

I've noticed this also when trapping groundhogs for disposal. I make sure to use a hose to wash down the live trap after each hog is disposed of. Leave the trap outside to air out. I have a severe groundhog problem on my property, and I don't have a safe line of sight to just shoot them, so I trap them and put a .22 Stinger in the head. Even the SPCA around here doesn't want groundhogs...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I live in a rural part of Florida, im not real sure if my county even has animal control. Even if we do, animal control usually destroy strays if they're not claimed. So I might as well have so fun, right?

Heh, in that case, I'd say you can do whatever you want with the cats, then.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:42:30 AM EDT
[#50]
There is a chemical solution, sorry I forget the name, that you can spray around the problem areas.  Something about hormones blah, blah, blah.   I'm sure most major Pet Centers will carry something like it.

If it were me though, I'd use a 7 iron.   Nothing worse than the smell of cat piss.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top