Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 6:33:50 AM EDT
Posted this in the blades forum, but it aint getting any action.  

Its a Case XX. Age unknown, probably old?  A good buddy of mine traded me a penny for it years ago. It has the sharpest damn blade a guy could want, my buddy said that it is a rare black carbon steel blade. He also said that they dont make them like this anymore and that the new ones are chrome. The blade is very thin and hard, possibly brittle. There is no rust, its just the bare steel turns black.  I would like to buy some more of them, do you have any laying around?

One one side it says "Case XX USA"
the other side says "3137 CV"

What say you?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Carbon steel isn't really rare. They're easy as hell to sharpen, hold a decent edge. There's a german eye brand knife just like it, I think its called a sodbuster. Great work knife. Not very tactical as its not a fast opener.

ETA: Yes they are pretty brittle, just remember a kinfe is a cutting too, not a screwdriver, pry bar etc. and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Sodbuster model.

Carbon steel blade.

Synthetic handle, believe it is delrin.

I recall seeing a Case model years ago with an etched rendition of an old mule pulled plow on the blade, hence the sodbuster moniker.  

I bet at one time the blade on your model was polished.

Case has a numbering system on the blade, located around the Case logo.

Check out a Case collectors forum, very interesting company/history.

Great solid knife!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Posted this in the blades forum, but it aint getting any action.  

Its a Case XX. Age unknown, probably old?  A good buddy of mine traded me a penny for it years ago. It has the sharpest damn blade a guy could want, my buddy said that it is a rare black carbon steel blade. He also said that they dont make them like this anymore and that the new ones are chrome. The blade is very thin and hard, possibly brittle. There is no rust, its just the bare steel turns black.  I would like to buy some more of them, do you have any laying around?

One one side it says "Case XX USA"
the other side says "3137 CV"

What say you?

i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/gaspain/case.jpg

How much ya want for it?

AB
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Heres a better pic of the Logo. I cant seem to find on the web any pics of this year.
There are also four dots under the logo.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The "dots" under the logo are the date code. Case uses "dots" and "x" as a way of dating, kinda like Zippo and their "dots" and "/". I'll try to find the date code list for that year.

Edit: Here ya go:www.wrcase.com/info/collecting/dating/year1.php

Edit #2:www.gpknives.com/item/Case-Sod-Buster.html
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on it being a Sodbuster.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats an old Case knife alright.

CASE XX is still in business, in Bradford, PA. maybe they could help you.

All the Case Knives i've ever had held an edge.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool, looks like its a 1996.  But logo is slightly different than the example on their site.

Mine doesnt have the lightning "S" on the Case or the USA.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I almost bought a Case knife the other night at Walmart. I put it back on the shelf when I saw " made in China" On the package.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I almost bought a Case knife the other night at Walmart. I put it back on the shelf when I saw " made in China" On the package.

WTF!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top