Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 10:36:06 PM EDT
CALIFORNIA JUDGE DISMISSES SUIT
THANKS TO "PROTECTION OF LAWFUL COMMERCE IN ARMS ACT"

On Monday, Federal District Court Judge Audrey B. Collins used the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" as the basis for dismissal of a reckless "public-nuisance" lawsuit against firearm manufacturer Glock and distributor RSR.  In doing so, Judge Collins became the first judge in the country to use the new law to counter the anti-gun lobby's shameless attempts to hold the lawful firearm industry responsible for the acts of criminals.

The suit sought to blame Glock and RSR for the horrendous criminal actions of deranged white supremacist Buford Furrow.  In 1999, Furrow shot and killed postal worker Joseph Ileto, and wounded three children at a Jewish Community Center in Grenada Hills, California, after illegally acquiring firearms.  What is not often reported is that, while a Glock pistol was used in Furrow's heinous crime, the gun was originally sold to a police department, which subsequently sold it to a licensed dealer, who in turn sold it to a collector, who finally sold it to Furrow.  Glock is being targeted, but did nothing illegal, and RSR never owned, sold, or possessed the firearm.

"It is fitting that this case was the first ever dismissed based on the 'Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act' because the facts made this case the poster child for passage of common sense legal reform," said Lawrence G. Keane, Senior Vice President and General Counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Woot!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Rulings that make sense...holy shit!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This is good news indeed.  This law will lay ground work for more of the lawsuits to be invalidated.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Could common sense be making a come back in our legal system? probably not but occasionally you get a really good ruling like this.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
And to think I got into heated arguments with opponents of the bill, over the trigger lock ammendment. I shit you not, there are people who insisted this law should have never been passed, because of some minor and insignificant compromises.

There are times I feel like we're slowly losing the fight, and then I read this. This is great news, indeed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The fact that we even need a law like this is BS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
And it was done in Cali (they earned the mormal spelling this time) of all places!

Miracles can happen!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The fact that we even need a law like this is BS.

+1
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is good news indeed.  I this law will lay ground work for more of the lawsuits to be invalidated.

More likely it is step one in the antis journey to the SCOTUS over this law.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
You know what.....f$ck the anti's- because more and more people find tracks to the truth every day..and we ARE WINNING!!!!!!

FAck the anti's

..sincerely, VT

worry less, sleep more...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#14]
And from a Kalifornia judge!!!!!

Holy crap let check for flying Donkeys.

FREE

Quoted:
Rulings that make sense...holy shit!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Surprising judgement from cali
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is good news indeed.  I this law will lay ground work for more of the lawsuits to be invalidated.

More likely it is step one in the antis journey to the SCOTUS over this law.

I personally don't think the antis are that brazen to bring this before the SCotUS, because this can open an whole can worms.  I suspect that they will have to live with it for now.  Me?  I suspect that at some point in time a liberal judge will find a way to invalidate this law somehow, like the old Calif state-level pre-emption law that was pretty much gutted and invalidated by a Calif judge.  Let's savor this victory after suffering numberous defeats under Bill & Hillary Clinton while we can at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow, I wonder how all the ingrates that say Bush and the Republican Congress haven't done shit for us will respond?

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wow, I wonder how all the ingrates that say Bush and the Republican Congress haven't done shit for us will respond?

Consider this, how many US Attorney Generals has sent a letter to the head of the NRA saying that we support the 2nd Amend? John Ashcroft did just that, and it was probably under the direct orders of GWB Jr himself.  Things are not going to get any better than this.  True more can be done, but that this true political realities of life.  People can not just sit back and expect all of the injustices done over the past 80 years or to the 2nd Amend to be undone overnight.  I wish it could, but that is not how it works in the real world.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#19]

^ anti gun people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#20]
As a former RSR employee let me say hurray.

To damn bad they consolidated all their small warehouses down to to Texas thus laying me off, but I'm not bitter... well only a little.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Where was the judge that recently allowed a suit to go forward despite acknowleding the passage of this bill?????   It was either CA, NY, IL or DC, IIRC?????

She said don't confuse her with the laws, she'd allow those nasty guns to be banned anyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the law is an afront to the 2nd Amendment and liberty in general due to the "trigger lock" amendment.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top