Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:20:52 PM EDT
I recieved this email asking people to "sign" and forward.

Can this really do anything?  Nobody enters an address.  There is no way I can see to validate anyone who "signs".

Person 2000 is suppose to forward the email to the President.

Add your name to the bottom by clicking on forward, and then scanning to the bottom. Then forward to your friends.

PETITION TO REINSTATE PLEDGE TO THE FLAG IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Agree or Delete: Instructions to sign are at the bottom.
PETITION FOR PRES. BUSH
PETITION TO REINSTATE PLEDGE TO THE FLAG IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
In Texas, it's the law.  They make the little Philistines stand up and do not only the Pledge of Allegiance, but also the Pledge to the Texas Flag, and then 1 minute of silence.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
A pledge coerced is no pledge at all, and reflects badly on the state.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Which flag? Not the American flag is it? That offends all of our foreign citizens and aliens.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In Texas, it's the law.  They make the little Philistines stand up and do not only the Pledge of Allegiance, but also the Pledge to the Texas Flag, and then 1 minute of silence.  

Honor the Texas flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible.

Every morning at 8:55 like clockwork
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
All good points.  But still not an answer to my question

These are well intentioned people but I think they are wasting their time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Which pledge?  The original 1892 pledge - or the one that they stuck "Under God" into in the 50's to differentiate us from the Godless evil Communists.  Since the Cold War is over, I assume you mean the original pledge.

And to answer your original question - yes, they are wasting their time.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]

I'd prefer a daily reading from the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Jim

No kidding - every kid should be forced to recite the BOR every morning, or get a ceremonial beating.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Which pledge?  The original 1892 pledge - or the one that they stuck "Under God" into in the 50's to differentiate us from the Godless evil Communists.  Since the Cold War is over, I assume you mean the original pledge.

And to answer your original question - yes, they are wasting their time.  

Thank you.  I quoted the entire email except for the list of names.  It was pretty close to 2000 names.  What a shame.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh? Since when? I don't recall even learning the Pledge to the Texas Flag in school and the Pledge of Allegiance was always optional and I don't even think the school made the seniors or juniors recite the pledge.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
It's state law in Illinios - all public schools must say the Pledge at the begining of the day.

EVERY building at the school district I work for recites the Pledge every day over the loud speakers.

All students are asked to stand.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
So its law to say the pledge, but they want to outlaw Semi auto rifles

Sad

FREE

Quoted:
It's state law in Illinios - all public schools must say the Pledge at the begining of the day.

EVERY building at the school district I work for recites the Pledge every day over the loud speakers.

All students are asked to stand.

Av.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn I wished the did that here.

My kids do it at home, since they are home school.

And they do it every thursday at Boy Scouts.

FREE

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
We're required to respectfully stand, although we're allowed to remain silent. I say it, but I skip the 'under god.' We then have a minute of silence, but few people are actually silent during it. And that's how it's done in NoVA.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
We do the Pledges to the Flags (US and TX) here in TX.  Every kid in my room has to stand respectfully, but I/we can't compell them to say the words.  I'll reem them if they say them in a deliberately incorrect, sloppy, stupid, or disrespectful manner.  

We began doing this at my school on 9/12/01.  Most kids, and some teachers, don't know what the sum of the words in the pledge(s) mean, but most say them and no athiests have been harmed to date, i.e. I can neither confirm or deny that harm has come to any religion or lack thereof in my classroom.

-Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Jim

+1 to that.

They had us stand for the pledge - I think it was just on monday though.

Would have been great if the school taught the original purpose and intent of the bill of rights. But instead we got 'social studies' and meaningless trivia facts that we were taught and tested on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top