Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2001 3:05:06 PM EDT
Man, I'm using too much CLP when I clean my guns. My hands keep slipping off my girlfriend's lap.(too much teflon???)(spell)I'm also blinking my eyes,like a hundred times a min.(dam, could this stuff be in my tears??)But serously I think that the chemicals in this stuff is messing with me.I havn't used this stuff for more then a few months. I tried using thick rubber gloves at one time,but the CLP soaked through them. So I started cleaning my guns without gloves.(probably a very bad idea.)So if there is anybody out there, who can enlighten me, I would surley appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
YEAH, after cleaning all of my guns with CLP I have this weird feeling that my guns are smileing at me...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
you wouldn't also happened to have gotten a cartridge stuck in your ear too?

had to be there :)
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Well,  CLP eats rubber.  Never clean M249 SAWs or 240 Golfs with it.  Great for M16 though.

Smalls
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to talk serously for a sec. I'm using this stuff with my bare hands. Is there some health related problems that I should be aware of? What are the best gloves for the hands? This CLP can't be to good for you,soaking in your hands and getting in your blood stream.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I use CLP with my bare hands and I am OK...I think.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
There is absolutely nothing the least bit dangerous with CLP. It is perfectly safe.

Afterall, the military wouldn't use it if it were harmful. They always have our best intrest in mind.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Heh  out of all the years of cleaning weapons while in the Corps I never heard anyone claim to be sensitive to CLP.  

Is there bad stuff in it ?  

Well, I have never heard of anyone having any problems just from coming into contact with it.  

I have used it to clean M-16s, SAW 249s, 60s and Berettas.

The only problem I ever had with CLP was when I saw an advertisement in a gun magazine that I had purchased not too long after I had come home from the Gulf war.

It said:

CLP   Combat Ready !

but the "Ready" part was marked out with and "X' and below it was written "Proven".

I laughed my tail off !!!!

Yeah   we used it to "clean" our weapons but we definately DID NOT use it to lubricate our weapons.

The sand would stick to the rifle ( inside AND out ) in seconds.

We had people back home send us alot of tubes of powder graphite.  I used it the whole time I was over there.

I would hardly call CLP "Combat Proven"....

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Use latex exam gloves. They protect your hands, are cheap to toss after use, and are readily available at your local gun show or drug store. For some fun walk up to your woman sporting a pair and say "You might experience some discomfort"
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
From an old mailing list message from Jim Crews, PAZ, and MFiaz66 - I thought this was pertinent.

Tate

Jim wrote:
Never ever use graphite on aluminum. It causes sever corrosion.

PAZ wrote:
Interestingly, three chemist-types (myself included) considered graphite
> to be inert under normal environmental circumstances.
>
> However, a little research discovered that, in the presence of an
> electrolyte (water with salt or acid content, for example), graphite
> will react with aluminum--and many other substances!
>
> How many of remember the carbon-zinc battery--sometimes called a
> dry-cell?  Zinc isn't much different from aluminum in terms of galvanic
> potential.
>
> The question is, "When would an AR15 lubricated with graphite be exposed
> to an electrolyte (salt water, for example) long enough for significant
> damage to occur?"
>
> Jim Crews:  Have you ever seen an AR15 (or other aluminum item)
> destroyed by graphite induced corrosion, or are you just aware of a
> generalized caution in this regard?

Jim wrote:
Yes, in fact I have seen an upper reciever that was damaged. The owner had
used graphite and then taken it out in the damp weather for several days.
One other fellow used Neo Lube, which is graphite suspended in isopropanol.
He did not use his in a damp environment, and never heard him have a
problem.

I would not use it, these rifles are much to valuable to take the chance. I
suggest Remington Dry Lube which is teflon based.

MFiaz66 wrote:
I agree Jim.  Used it on mine.  Was at the outdoor range last summer and it
rained.  Took her home, cleaned her, and my AR looks as good as new.  Great
stuff.

Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Right on the label it says it has no adverse reaction to normal skin and normal eyes.  So you may consider it for a good contact lens solution!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
CLP contains petroleum distilates it should be okay if you don't drink the stuff.

BTW...The stuff has to be a hell of alot healthier than copper and nitro solvents.

Alex
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want to talk serously for a sec. I'm using this stuff with my bare hands. Is there some health related problems that I should be aware of? What are the best gloves for the hands? This CLP can't be to good for you,soaking in your hands and getting in your blood stream.
View Quote

You may be allergic to something in the CLP.  Are you developing any rashes where the CLP touches?

As for "getting in your blood stream", you need to immediately STOP injecting the stuff.  No wonder you're having problems. [:D]

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 10:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Rumor has it that CLP has a secret chemical ingredient designed down in the bowels of NRA headquarters/labratory, this secret ingredient seeks out liberals and kills them, your not a Democrat bh5900 R.U.? LOL
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Use latex exam gloves. They protect your hands, are cheap to toss after use, and are readily available at your local gun show or drug store.
View Quote

You could be charged with "possession of burglary tools" if you get caught with those gloves.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for your replys. I do have some adverse reactions to petroleum distilates like turpentine.(good thing it's not alcohol distilates)ha..ha..  My adverse reactions yesterday to the CLP were swollen ankles and a red rash on the top of my feet. I know you guys are probably laughing your ass's off right now, but I'm serous. (This complaint I have will really roll you down the aisle).I feel kind of greasy on the inside. I know it sounds strange... I don't know... I'm not a asshole Democrat...I don't like bleeding hart f#cking Liberals...I don't know... Maby I should bathe in this stuff and build up a tolerance to it.I tried using latex gloves before and that did'nt work. I started using these big rubber gloves as I said before, and the CLP went through them also. Maybe I should try the big chemical resistant gloves. Only one problem, its hard to handle the little parts of the AR-15 rifle. So anyway, thanks for the resolvable responses.     (blackhawk 5900)    
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for your replys. I do have some adverse reactions to petroleum distilates like turpentine.(good thing it's not alcohol distilates)ha..ha..  My adverse reactions yesterday to the CLP were swollen ankles and a red rash on the top of my feet. I know you guys are probably laughing your ass's off right now, but I'm serous. (This complaint I have will really roll you down the aisle).I feel kind of greasy on the inside. I know it sounds strange... I don't know... I'm not a asshole Democrat...I don't like bleeding heart f#cking Liberals...I don't know... Maby I should bathe in this stuff and build up a tolerance to it.I tried using latex gloves before and that did'nt work. I started using these big rubber gloves as I said before, and the CLP went through them also. Maybe I should try the big chemical resistant gloves. Only one problem, its hard to handle the little parts of the AR-15 rifle. So anyway, thanks for the resolvable responses.     (blackhawk 5900)    
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Man, I'm using too much CLP when I clean my guns. My hands keep slipping off my girlfriend's lap.(too much teflon???)(spell)I'm also blinking my eyes,like a hundred times a min.(dam, could this stuff be in my tears??)But serously I think that the chemicals in this stuff is messing with me.I havn't used this stuff for more then a few months. I tried using thick rubber gloves at one time,but the CLP soaked through them. So I started cleaning my guns without gloves.(probably a very bad idea.)So if there is anybody out there, who can enlighten me, I would surley appreciate it.  
View Quote

Get a copy of the material safety data sheet for this product. It should list any known or suspected hazards or side effects.

IIRC, there is a liver damage hazard associated with the "frequent handling" use of this product.

Perhaps one of the board members currently in the military can locate a copy of the MSDS for CLP. I do not use it myself. Other products clean and lube just as well (please no flames, everybody has their preferred cleaning products that they use).
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#19]
SHIT!!!!! What the hell did I do!!!!! sorry about that. I must have hit the send button twice....
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info, mmf I will try looking it up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is the health hazard section from the MSDS for non-chlorinated Break-Free brand of CLP:

LD50 LC50 Mixture
LD50 >5G/KG, LOW LEVEL OF TOXICITY.

Route Of Entry Inds -
Inhalation: YES
Skin: YES
Ingestion: YES

Carcinogenicity Inds -
NTP: NO
IARC: NO
OSHA: NO

Health Hazards Acute And Chronic

SKIN- PROLONGED AND REPEATED CONTACT ON THE SKIN COULD CAUSE IRRITATION AND POSSIBLE DERMATITIS.

INHALATION- RESPIRATORY IRRITATION AND DISCOMFORT MAY RESULT. EXCESSIVE INHALATION MAY CAUSE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM EFFECTS.

INGESTION- MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO DIGESTIVE TRACT.

EYES- POSSIBLE TRANSIENT IRRITATION.

Explanation Of Carcinogenicity
THIS COMPOUND CONTAINS NO INGREDIENTS AT CONCENTRATIONS OF 0.1% OR GREATER THAT
ARE CARCINOGENS OR SUSPECT CARCINOGENS.

Signs And Symptions Of Overexposure
INHALATION- DIZZINESS, WEAKNESS, FATIGUE, NAUSEA, HEADACHES AND POSSIBLE UNCONSCIOUSNESS WITH EXCESSIVE INHALATION.

SKIN- POSSIBLE SLIGHT TO MODERATE REDNESS
MAY OCCUR WITH EXTENDED DAILY EXPOSURE.

Medical Cond Aggravated By Exposure
PRE-EXISTING SKIN, EYE AND RESPIRATORY DISORDERS MAY BE AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE TO
MATERIAL.

First Aid
EYES- FLUSH IMMEDIATELY WITH WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES.

SKIN- WASH WITH SOAP AND WATER, LAUNDER CONTAMINATED CLOTHING BRFORE REUSE.

INGESTION- DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IF CONSCIOUS, DRINK LARGE QUANTITIES OF WATER AND SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION.

INHALATION- MOVE TO FRESH AIR. CALL A PHYSICIAN IF ANESTHETIC OR NARCOTIC EFFECTS RESULT. ASSIST WITH BREATHING SUPPORT MEASURES IF NEEDED.

Spill Release Procedures
IF POORLY VENTILATED, USE RESPIRATORY PROTECTION. FOLLOW ALL INDUSTRIAL PRACTICES
FOR CLEANING SOLVENT/OIL SPILLS. DIKE THE AREA TO CONFINE THE SPILL, SHUT OF IGNITION
SOURCES AND USE A GOOD ABSORBENT TO SOAK UP THE SPILL. STORE IN CLOSED CONTAINERS.

Neutralizing Agent
NONE SPECIFIED BY MANUFACTURER.

Waste Disposal Methods
DISPOSE OF ALL WASTES IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL REGULATIONS.
TREAT THIS TYPE OF WASTE AS WASTE OIL. INCINERATION NORMALLY PREFERRED. NEVER DUMP
INTO THE SEWER OR ON THE GROUND OR INTO ANY NAVIGABLE WATERS, STREAMS, LAKES OR RIVERS.

Handling And Storage Precautions
DO NOT STORE ABOVE 120F. DO NOT USE AROUND OPEN FLAMES. MAINTAIN ADEQUATE VENTILATION. KEEP FROM CHILDREN. VAPORS CAN COLLECT IN LOW AREAS.

Other Precautions
DO NOT ENTER THOSE AREAS WHERE LARGE QUANTITIES OFVAPORS ARE SUSPECTED OF COLLECTING UNTIL EXCHANGING THE AIR OR USINGSPECIAL BREATHING APPARATUS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]
This is the MSDS health hazard section on chlorinated Break-Free brand CLP.

LD50 LC50 Mixture
LD50 (ORAL RAT) IS UNKNOWN

Route Of Entry Inds -
Inhalation: YES
Skin: YES
Ingestion: YES

Carcinogenicity Inds -
NTP: NO
IARC: NO
OSHA: NO

Health Hazards Acute And Chronic
ACUTE: IN A CONFINED AREA VAPORS IN HIGH CONCENTRATION ARE ANESTHETIC. MAY CAUSE
HEADACHE, NAUSEA, NARCOSIS, PNEUMONIA. IRRITANT TO EYES, SKIN AND UPPER RESPIRATORY
SYSTEM.
CHRONIC: REPORTS HAVE ASSOCIATED REPEATED AND PROLONGED OVEREXPOSURE TO SOLVENTS WITH PERMANENT BRAIN,CNS,LIVER AND KIDNEY DAMAGE. SEE SUP. DATA.

Explanation Of Carcinogenicity
NONE OF THE COMPOUNDS IN THIS PRODUCT IS LISTED BY IARC, NTP, OR OSHA AS A CARCINOGEN.

Signs And Symptions Of Overexposure
VAPORS IN HIGH CONCENTRATION ARE ANESTHETIC. OVEREXPOSURE MAY RESULT IN FATIGUE,
WEAKNESS, CONFUSION EUPHORIA, DIZZINESS, HEADACHE, DILATED PUPILS, LACRIMATION,
NERVOUSNESS, MUSCLE FATIGUE, INSOMNIA, PARESTHESIA, DERMATITIS, PNEUMONIA, PHOT
OPHOBIA. EYE/ SKIN: IRRITATION. LIVER DAMAGE FROM HALOGENATED SUBSTANCES.

Medical Cond Aggravated By Exposure
PERSONS WITH A HISTORY OF AILMENTS OR WITH A PRE-EXISTING DISEASE INVOLVING THE EYES,
SKIN, RESPIRATORY TRACT OR NERVOUS SYSTEM MAY BE AT INCREASED RISK FROM EXPOSURE.
DRYING/CRACKING OF SKIN.

First Aid
EYES: FLUSH WITH RUNNING WATER FOR 15 MINUTES WHILE HOLDING EYELID. GET MEDICAL
ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.

SKIN: WASH WITH SOAP & WATER. REMOVE CONTAMINATED CLOTHING. GET MEDICAL ADVICE.

INHALATION: REMOVE TO FRESH AIR. GIVE MOUTH-TO-MOUTH RESUSCITATION IF NOT BREATHING. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION.

INGESTION: DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. GIVE NOTHING BY MOUTH IF UNCONSCIOUS. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.

Spill Release Procedures
REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION. VENTILATE AND REMOVE WITH INERT ABSORBENT.

Neutralizing Agent
NOT APPLICABLE

Waste Disposal Methods
WASTE MATERIAL WILL LIKELY BE A LAND-BANNED HAZARDOUS WASTE WHICH MUST BE DISPOSED OF ACCORDINGLY. DO NOT INCINERATE CLOSED CONTAINER. DISPOSE OF IN ACCORDANCE WITH FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL REGULATIONS.

Handling And Storage Precautions
CONTENTS ARE FLAMMABLE. KEEP AWAY FROM HEAT, SPARKS, AND OPEN FLAME. DURING USE AND UNTIL ALL VAPORS ARE GONE: KEEP AREA VENTILATED-DO NOT SMOKE.

Other Precautions
AVOID BREATHING OF VAPORS. DO NOT STORE >120F. DO NOTUSE AROUND OPEN FLAMES. VAPORS ARE HEAVIER THAN AIR AND WILL COLLECT IN LOW AREAS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Use latex exam gloves. They protect your hands, are cheap to toss after use, and are readily available at your local gun show or drug store.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could be charged with "possession of burglary tools" if you get caught with those gloves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible, yes, probable? Not very likely.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you, Joe. This is what I was looking for, the MSDS on the CLP. I forgot what it was called. I will run the info thru my printer and have a copy for myself. Now I have a question. Is the CLP that I'm using the non chlorinated or chlolorinated kind? The 12 oz. can just reads, Break-free brand CLP. I don't have the can right with me, but I think that's all it reads.   Thanks, again, Joe.    b.h. 5900  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top