Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 6:29:29 PM EDT
I need to buy a descent stationary table saw for around the $500 mark. I want to get the best for my money, so I need some opinions. I kinda like the Hitachi C10FL found here: Link But am open to other suggestions. I have a couple Hitachi tools already and have been EXTREMELY impressed with them. Thier 18v drill is amazing and will blow DeWalt's out of the water all day long. Anyways, what does everyone suggest?

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think the Hitachi is what I would go with if I wanted a stationary saw at that price level. Not too sure about their fence, however. You are right...Hitachi makes (mostly) great tools for the $$$!

What is wrong with thier fence? I really don't know a lot about fences and such and am still learning. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
i just bought a small portable hitachi table saw and it is fantastic.  it was only $200.  also have  hitachi sawzall and jig saw and am going to get an hitachi screwgun when my ryobi dies.  all the professional carpenters around here are using hitachi now--better than dewalt or bosch for half the price.
the best on the market right now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i just bought a small portable hitachi table saw and it is fantastic.  it was only $200.  also have  hitachi sawzall and jig saw and am going to get an hitachi screwgun when my ryobi dies.  all the professional carpenters around here are using hitachi now--better than dewalt or bosch for half the price.
the best on the market right now.

One thing I didn't like about Hitachi is was it was made in Japan. Then, I got to looking at the Dewalt's and such and saw they were made in China. All of my Hitachi's so far have been outstanding at a compairable price. I'll probably get the Hitachi table saw, but I wanted to get others opions on it. I don't want to look like too much of a "brand whore" with a garage full of green tools.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on what you plan to do, but you should be able to find a used Delta 10" contractors saw for about $200 in good condition.   You can easily make a sliding panel cutter and other jigs you want to use.   BTW, you want a 220V motor.    
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the market.

Gonna keep an eye on this one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
http://bt3central.com/
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]
ttt
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at the Fence, that one item will make or break a Table Saw. Will it stay parallel to the Blade after moving? How about after locking in place?  I have a Biesemeyer on an older Craftsmen with Cast Iron table and extensions.  Paid about $260.00 or so for the fence and $100.00 for the saw used.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Look at the Fence, that one item will make or break a Table Saw. Will it stay parallel to the Blade after moving? How about after locking in place?  I have a Biesemeyer on an older Craftsmen with Cast Iron table and extensions.  Paid about $260.00 or so for the fence and $100.00 for the saw used.

What is the Biesemeyer fence? I've seen this term, but don't know what it means.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the Biesemeyer fence? I've seen this term, but don't know what it means.

Biesemeyer

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's a brand of fence that is very popular.  Generally, the Biesemeyer's are rated excellent and stay true to parrallel.

Couple of things to look for in a table saw:

You want a cast iron table (stays flat)
Good fence
Standard size miter gauge slots
Good power
Good fence

I've owned Hitachi saws, and while they are good, sometimes they miss the mark.  I bought one (can't think of the model off the top of my head) and just am very diasppointed with it.  The miter slots aren't standard size (so I can't buy an Incra gauage) and the fence does not want to stay parrallel without some help from me.

For the money, check out Amazon.com which has some amazing deals on Delta and Jet equipment.

Or go to Sears and become a craftsman member.  They run their largest saw (in store) on sale at least 3 times a year and you can pick it up for about $800 (a little pricey) but it has a ground cast iron table, a Biesemeyer fence, and a large working surface.  It's well built and very nice.

www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00922124000

I also like this saw:

www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00922104000&subcat=Table+Saws

I personally don't care for many of the other Sears tools, but these seem like winners to me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid too much for a used piece of crap table saw and am now looking for a good quality Delta or Jet saw, preferably used.

Cast iron table is a must.

The fence can turn an otherwise great machine into a nearly unusable piece of crap.  Go to a woodworking shop and play with a number of fences, ask the sales person about them - which ones are the most popular, which ones work best, and while you are there, check out the "for sale or trade" bulletin board by the back door for deals.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Delta Unisaw.

A new one is way out of your $500 price range, but look around for a used one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#16]
PLEASE.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY TABLETOP TABLE SAWS

If your budget is $500 spend it on a good contractors saw.

I have the Grizzly G0444Z and can highly recommend it:

Cast iron table and wings
2hp 110/220 motor
Alumi-classic fence (awesome fence)

With shipping, it will bust your budget by about $150 though.

Delta also makes a nice contractors saw (36-680) and I also have heard good things about the Ridgid 3650 which you can pickup at Home Depot for around $547 or so.

ETA:  As most have already said the fence is the make or brake of the saw.  A bissey fence or bissey clone are the best.  Cast iron tops and wings ensure flatness and stability and help dampen vibration from the motor.  I upgraded to the G0444Z from a crappy little Crapsman 10" benchtop saw and was totally amazed at the difference.  Buy good now or buy good later.  Avoid the pain and misery associated with using crappy tools and then having to upgrade.  I actually like making stuff now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top