Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:40:40 AM EDT
I saw a WWII Japanese army canteen at a store and it had the canvas carry straps and a leather strap on the lid and also some Japanese writing painted in white paint, the canteen also had a big dent

but would still look nice for collecting to put on display

it was priced at $75 is that about what an original piece like that would sell for?

I think it was made of aluminum?

similiar to this one except it had a leather retainer strap on the cap and had painted writing on the body
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Anywhere from almost right there to too high....around here I would expect to pick one up like that around $50 to $60, so $75 isn't crazy, but higher than I'd pay...but i don't collect Jap stuff...

Try to talk him down to $65....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I saw a WWII Japanese army canteen at a store and it had the canvas carry straps and a leather strap on the lid and also some Japanese writing painted in white paint, the canteen also had a big dent

but would still look nice for collecting to put on display

it was priced at $75 is that about what an original piece like that would sell for?

I think it was made of aluminum?

www.warelics.com/images/japcanteen2.jpg

similiar to this one except it had a leather retainer strap on the cap and had painted writing on the body

I have one that my father took off a dead Jap on Leyte.  It looks like the one in your picture, except the canvas is a lot darker.  The one I have has handwritting on it too, maybe that's so Honda wouldn't mistake Ito's saki for his own.

I'd pay $75 for it just to have it, even if the canvas isn't original.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
$75 sounds like a good price.
I dunno anybody who collects Jap stuff.
Only enemy surplus people really seem to dig is the German and Russian stuff.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

it has lots of Japanese writing on it, it could be a poem? or the original owners name and unit?

it does look very unique with the writing and all the original straps

I was thinking of adding it to my Viet Minh collection, because they would have used old WWII surplus Japanese gear.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it has lots of Japanese writing on it, it could be a poem? or the original owners name and unit?

it does look very unique with the writing and all the original straps

I was thinking of adding it to my Viet Minh collection, because they would have used old WWII surplus Japanese gear.

I'd buy it for that reason alone the Viet Minh used all the left over French and Japanese equipment.

If you buy it and decide you don't want it, IM me and I'll buy it from you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top