Page / 4
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:10:35 AM EDT
This is for everybody who thought it would never happen:

Link to video

Deputy Who Shot Airman Faces Criminal Charges
Videotape Showing Shooting Has Been Under Scrutiny

POSTED: 7:27 am PST March 7, 2006
UPDATED: 10:58 am PST March 7, 2006

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A sheriff's deputy videotaped shooting an unarmed Iraq war veteran after a high-speed chase will be charged with attempted voluntary manslaughter, authorities said Tuesday.

The decision to charge Deputy Ivory J. Webb, 45, was announced by San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael A. Ramos at a news conference. It was the first time the county's prosecutors filed charges against a lawman for an on-duty shooting.

Ramos said Webb is being charged with attempted voluntary manslaughter, which is a felony, with a special allegation of great bodily injury and further allegation of use of a firearm. A conviction could result in a sentence of more than 18 years in prison, he said.

Ramos said bail will be set at $175,000 when Webb turns himself in. He's expected to turn himself in and be arraigned on Wednesday.

Sheriff Gary Penrod said Webb, a 10-year veteran of the Sheriff's Department, will remain on paid administrative leave as the investigation of the shooting of Air Force Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, continues.

"I respect the decision of the district attorney's office," Penrod said.

On Jan. 29, Carrion, an Air Force security officer just back from Iraq, was a passenger in a Corvette that was involved in a high-speed nighttime chase before crashing into a wall in Chino, about 45 miles east of Los Angeles.

A grainy videotape shot by a resident shows Carrion on the ground just outside the car's passenger door and Webb standing nearby, pointing at gun at him. A voice appears to order Carrion to rise. When the airman appears to begin to comply, the deputy shoots him three times.

Carrion suffered gunshot wounds to the chest, shoulder and left thigh and was hospitalized for several days.

Authorities found no weapons on Carrion or the driver, Luis Escobedo. But prosecutors announced Tuesday they were charging Escobedo with felony attempting to evade a peace officer while driving recklessly and misdemeanor driving under the influence. Escobedo was expected to surrender on Wednesday. The case against him carries a maximum penalty of 3.5 years in prison.

The FBI has opened an inquiry into possible civil rights violations. The Sheriff's Department conducted its own probe and forwarded the results to the district attorney's office Feb. 10 without a recommendation on whether charges should be filed.

At the time, the sheriff said the videotape "arouses a lot of suspicion" about what occurred, but he added that the tape is fuzzy and contains gaps, making it difficult to put the entire chain of events in clear perspective.

Ramos assigned two top attorneys to review the shooting full-time and requested an FBI enhancement of the tape. He previously said the prosecutors were paying close attention to "exactly what was said" during the confrontation.

Story link
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know.. my understanding is that the Deputy was stressed, and thought he said 'don't get up.' 18 years seems a bit harsh, I think discharge and civil reparations should probably be enough, if there's an honest apology. Has the deputy met with the airman at all since?

NTM
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
They'll meet...at the civil suit deposition.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know.. my understanding is that the Deputy was stressed, and thought he said 'don't get up.' 18 years seems a bit harsh, I think discharge and civil reparations should probably be enough, if there's an honest apology. Has the deputy met with the airman at all since?

NTM

You most assuredly didn't watch the video.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#4]
That's hardcore. You have to figure the man has a family who is dependant on his income. The mortgage, the cars, and a possible jail sentence?

Restraint. Damn.

Once in a while I wonder what ever became of the LA County deputy who assaulted me with his mag flashlight in front of passing cars 15 years ago. Restraint was not a concept he understood. Back then when I was a teen deputies were well known for an instant ass whoopin.  Now trying to take a life is a whole other matter.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The deputy should count his blessings that he's not being charged with attempted murder.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
This is good news even though I think he should be charged with attempted murder.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Once in a while I wonder what ever became of the LA County deputy who assaulted me with his mag flashlight in front of passing cars 15 years ago.

He's in charge of training now.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
So...
Do you think he will be convicted?
What do you think the civil award will be?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe he won't shoot people after he asks them to get up now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
That sucks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#12]
What caught my attention was that the POS driving the car MAY only get 3.5 years. THAT is far too little time to spend getting raped for what he did and how he endangered so many lives.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#13]
If found guilty, will he be fired?

I would prefer to see a 7-10 charge rather than a charge with a 3.5 year maximum.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The REAL question is... would there have been ANY justice in this case... if some bystander had not shot this video.

I think not.... it would have likely been covered up and certainly would not have received the mdeia attention and pressure from the public outcry.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Plea agreement reached to avoid jail time.  Airman gets record settltment.  Deputy is fired or resigns; eats dog food and peanutbutter for the rest of his life; commits suicide.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If found guilty, will he be fired?

Yes, it's mandatory that a police officer cannot have a felony conviction in California.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Plea agreement reached to avoid jail time.  Airman gets record settltment.  Deputy is fired or resigns; eats dog food and peanutbutter for the rest of his life; commits suicide.

Damn,  a pulse check to walk the straight line. Many of us can lose our careers if we don't have restraint in our actions on the job. This is hitting home for me as someone I know is losing his job due to misconduct. He has a family, a house in the IE, the cars.   The families in these cases suffer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#19]
What the hell is "attempted voluntary manslaughter", I say charge him with attempted murder.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]
link to vid anyone?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll let a jury decide , civil and criminal. It looked pretty bad though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is a more detailed account from the Los Angeles Times:
=============================================================================
latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-030706shooting_lat,0,480649.story?coll=la-home-headlines
From the Los Angeles Times
S.B. Deputy Charged in Shooting After Chase
By Lance Pugmire
Times Staff Writer

11:00 AM PST, March 7, 2006

A San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy who shot a suspect three times while being videotaped was charged today with attempted voluntary manslaughter and faces 18½ years in prison.

San Bernardino County Dist. Atty. Michael A. Ramos announced that charges have been filed against Deputy Ivory Webb. It is the first time that Ramos' office has filed a criminal charge against a law enforcement officer involved in an on-duty shooting.

Webb shot Elio Carrion, an Air Force police officer who had served in Iraq, after a high-speed chase that ended in Chino. Carrion was a passenger in the vehicle.

At a press conference, Ramos said the evidence showed that Carrion was obeying Webb's order to get up when the deputy opened fire.

"We listened to it [the videotape] over and over. Not once did we hear Deputy Webb say, 'Don't get up.' We heard, 'Get up,' " Ramos said.

Webb "was a deputy who according to the law acted unreasonably," Ramos said.

In the videotape shot by a man standing nearby, Carrion, 21, appears to be obeying Webb's commands to get up from the ground when the deputy fires three times from close range.

Carrion, a senior airman who had recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq, continues to recover from his wounds.

Webb, an eight-year veteran of the department who was based at the Chino Hills station, is the son of a former Compton police chief. The deputy, who was placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting, also is a former University of Iowa wide receiver who played in the 1982 Rose Bowl.

The Jan. 29 shooting occurred after Webb was involved in a high-speed pursuit at speeds of more than 100 mph through a residential area in Chino.

After the Corvette crashed into a fence, a resident on the street, Jose Luis Valdes, began videotaping the incident. In portions of the poor-quality recording, Carrion is sprawled on the ground and tells Webb that he is "on the same side" as Webb and means him "no harm."

After repeatedly ordering Carrion to stay down and "shut up," Webb appears to tell Carrion to "get up, get up," then fires three shots at the airman as he begins to rise.

Both Ramos and San Bernardino County Sheriff Gary Penrod took the unusual step of expressing concern for Carrion and his family after the incident. The FBI also launched an investigation into the shooting, and was asked to enhance the quality of the video.

The San Bernardino County district attorney has reviewed 131 officer-involved shootings and in-custody deaths since 2000.

The driver of Carrion's car, Luis Fernando Escobedo, was charged with attempting to evade a peace officer while driving recklessly and driving under the influence, carrying a maximum of three years in state prison.

Ramos acknowledged the difficulties facing his prosecutors, given Webb's eight years on the force.

"This is a very difficult decision for us," Ramos said. "But when the facts say a crime has been committed, it is our duty to file charges. We will let the community decide if it's a crime."

Copyright 2006 Los Angeles Times
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The REAL question is... would there have been ANY justice in this case... if some bystander had not shot this video.

I think not.... it would have likely been covered up and certainly would not have received the mdeia attention and pressure from the public outcry.

+1

All law enforcement should be miked up and have a camera on them at all times. For their safety and the safety of others.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

All law enforcement should be miked up and have a camera on them at all times. For their safety and the safety of others.

Good idea.  That should cut down on jury trials a hell of a lot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I concur, when the police fuck up and shoot the wrong person for no reason SOP is to claim that it was justified, and then smear the defendent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
This looks like the deputy was trying to execute the guy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Guy should be charged with atempted murder.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I hope you're wrong.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't sound too good for the deputy:
From CNN:
Deputy charged in shooting of Iraq vet

Charging Webb was a "difficult decision," Ramos told the AP, but enhancing the videotape "made our decision easier." In the tape, Carrion appears to be on the ground while a deputy sheriff stands above him with a gun drawn.

"Get up!" the deputy shouts.

"OK," Carrion says.

"Get up!" the deputy shouts again.

"I'm going to get up," Carrion says and starts to rise.

The deputy fires three shots, striking Carrion in the chest, leg and shoulder.

From the ground, a moaning Carrion attempts to explain to the deputy he is an Iraq war veteran. "I mean you no harm," he says.

"Shut the ... up!" the deputy shouts. "Shut the ... up!"

The deputy shouts that he had "one down," then again told Carrion to "shut the ... up."

"You don't get up!" he says.

Then the voice of a neighbor watching the incident can be heard saying, "You told him to get up!"

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Then the voice of a neighbor watching the incident can be heard saying, "You told him to get up!"

I think that right there really had a lot to do with the decision to file charges.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Either the Deputy just wanted to shoot somebody (hard to believe) or, he was just stressed out and really did not know what he was saying/doing.

Hopefully the Airman recovers, although fully recovering from being shot 3 times is probably not going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
This is for everybody who thought it would never happen:

Deputy Who Shot Airman Faces Criminal Charges
Videotape Showing Shooting Has Been Under Scrutiny

POSTED: 7:27 am PST March 7, 2006
UPDATED: 10:58 am PST March 7, 2006

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- A sheriff's deputy videotaped shooting an unarmed Iraq war veteran after a high-speed chase will be charged with attempted voluntary manslaughter, authorities said Tuesday.

The decision to charge Deputy Ivory J. Webb, 45, was announced by San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael A. Ramos at a news conference. It was the first time the county's prosecutors filed charges against a lawman for an on-duty shooting.

Ramos said Webb is being charged with attempted voluntary manslaughter, which is a felony, with a special allegation of great bodily injury and further allegation of use of a firearm. A conviction could result in a sentence of more than 18 years in prison, he said.

Ramos said bail will be set at $175,000 when Webb turns himself in. He's expected to turn himself in and be arraigned on Wednesday.

Sheriff Gary Penrod said Webb, a 10-year veteran of the Sheriff's Department, will remain on paid administrative leave as the investigation of the shooting of Air Force Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, continues.

"I respect the decision of the district attorney's office," Penrod said.

On Jan. 29, Carrion, an Air Force security officer just back from Iraq, was a passenger in a Corvette that was involved in a high-speed nighttime chase before crashing into a wall in Chino, about 45 miles east of Los Angeles.

A grainy videotape shot by a resident shows Carrion on the ground just outside the car's passenger door and Webb standing nearby, pointing at gun at him. A voice appears to order Carrion to rise. When the airman appears to begin to comply, the deputy shoots him three times.

Carrion suffered gunshot wounds to the chest, shoulder and left thigh and was hospitalized for several days.

Authorities found no weapons on Carrion or the driver, Luis Escobedo. But prosecutors announced Tuesday they were charging Escobedo with felony attempting to evade a peace officer while driving recklessly and misdemeanor driving under the influence. Escobedo was expected to surrender on Wednesday. The case against him carries a maximum penalty of 3.5 years in prison.

The FBI has opened an inquiry into possible civil rights violations. The Sheriff's Department conducted its own probe and forwarded the results to the district attorney's office Feb. 10 without a recommendation on whether charges should be filed.

At the time, the sheriff said the videotape "arouses a lot of suspicion" about what occurred, but he added that the tape is fuzzy and contains gaps, making it difficult to put the entire chain of events in clear perspective.

Ramos assigned two top attorneys to review the shooting full-time and requested an FBI enhancement of the tape. He previously said the prosecutors were paying close attention to "exactly what was said" during the confrontation.

Story link

Your poll is loaded.  No lesser punishment.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn,  a pulse check to walk the straight line. Many of us can lose our careers if we don't have restraint in our actions on the job. This is hitting home for me as someone I know is losing his job due to misconduct. He has a family, a house in the IE, the cars.   The families in these cases suffer.

Not as much as the poor guy that got shot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey, if the deputy gets off, is the Air Force going to riot?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not as much as the poor guy that got shot.

There are different kinds of suffering.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#37]
That deputy should be charged with attempt murder among other felonies. Had any of US not as cops shot that guy for getting up, we'd be up shit creek without a boat! Fuck the paddle...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Your poll is loaded.  No lesser punishment.

My poll fu is weak.  I should have included an option for "fired/sued."

Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you're wrong.

Nah, I hope he's right.

When you're a cop, I hold you to a HIGHER standard, and, when you fuck up like THAT, you're TOAST.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good idea.  That should cut down on jury trials a hell of a lot.

All of the deputies around here are miked up all of the time (at least on calls and traffic stops) and the cruisers all have video cameras mounted in them (now whether they work properly or not is another story).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#41]
HAHAHAHA (just watched video!) I'll bet that dirty fucking piece of shit gives a bad name to ALL cops didn't think he was being taped.  

From the video that guy is guilty of attempted murder.  I'd charge him three times as well, one for each shot.  

What a jackass.  Sounds like he doesn't like being told COPS ARE STILL CIVILIANS and took it out on a real hero.

hope he rots in jail.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#42]
It should also be noted that Deputy Hothead is NOT in custody as of this moment. SBSD booking log
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#43]
ANY 12 men and women are gonna give him the max period.  he was preparing an execution.  told him to get up, so he could say he was making a move, he got up and tried to kill him.  I hope they shove a bat up his ass in jail.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It should also be noted that Deputy Hothead is NOT in custody as of this moment. SBSD booking log

Tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#45]
just want to say, OF COURSE, 99.9999% of you guys are GREAT GREAT GREAT public servants.  

BUT this guy........

I guess its cool that A) he survived, b) he's gonna get SOOOOO much money for this.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#46]
here's a link to the video that doesn't require any media player:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8027854162700568157&q=ktla

you should put it in the first post.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
ANY 12 men and women are gonna give him the max period.  he was preparing an execution.  told him to get up, so he could say he was making a move, he got up and tried to kill him.  I hope they shove a bat up his ass in jail.

It's pure speculation, of course, but, I strongly suspect that had the deputy not realized there was a camera on him, he would had finished the victim off and made up a nice "fish story".

Deputy Dipshit is not supposed to surrender himself until tomorrow, he will continue to be on PAID LEAVE (WTF?), his bail a mere $175,000. WTF???
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's pure speculation, of course, but, I strongly suspect that had the deputy not realized there was a camera on him, he would had finished the victim off and made up a nice "fish story".

Deputy Dipshit is not supposed to surrender himself until tomorrow, he will continue to be on PAID LEAVE (WTF?), his bail a mere $175,000. WTF???

can't wait to hear the PBA complain about the 'rest of the tape' or 'what happened beforehand' - this guy ould have had osama bin laden and a suitcase nuke in his car and and 12 folks would still put the cop away for the max.

no plea here folks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Done, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Done, thanks.

I didn't put the title of that page up... just a BTW, I'm not one to use the 'pig' label.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top