Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 9:02:49 AM EDT
We actually went Sunday which was beautiful by the way. Not a cloud in the sky and perfect 75 degree weather. The whole story goes that my parents aren't the "gun type" people. My mom tries to stay as far away from them as possible and I always figured my dad would be the same seeing how he gave me his only gun, an old Ruger MK1 that he hadn't fired for 15 years. So after a year of owning both my rifles (ar15 and AKM) I break it to my parents that I own and shoot regularly. Mom then said that my dad shot alot when he was younger so I got the idea to invite him out. I didn't think he'd be so enthusiastic about it

So anyways Sunday was the day we planned to shoot and he made the drive up to my place in Orlando and we went on to the range from there. I hadn't told him what I owned and he mentioned he thought I probably had some bolt action or .22's. So we get to the range and head to the plinking range and set up are targets, 2 dozen Sam's choice shaken soda cans @40 yards. Once the range goes hot again I take out my rifles and he just stares at them wondering wtf they were. First I show him my ar15, which is a Bushy M4 with Eotech and ARMS buis. I set him up with the Eotech first just so he can get a feel for the gun while not having to concentrate on the irons. He started busting up the cans much better than I thought a guy who hasn't fired anything in 10 years could do. The whole day he kept saying "That is a beautiful weapon" and kept mentioning how he loved the eotech.

Next was the AKM which I had built from a Russian kit with OOW receiver. He took a liking to it but it was more difficult to hit the cans at that distance due to the sights being slightly off. I think he just liked pulling the trigger on that one. He quickly moved back to the AR and asked to have the irons set up. Once again he started plugging the cans and commented on how he hit everything he aimed for. I kinda snickered that's the whole point of sighting it in.

So all in all it was an awesome day. He loved everything I showed him and on the way back asked me all sorts of questions. I was proud that I could answer every one of them from info I've gotten off of this site. I also had to correct him on some things that only the media could put into one's head. So now not only can I start asking for ammo and accesories as gifts, we may have a new convert after a couple more trips and some chances to play with some more toys.

Oh and to make a good day even more mantastic, we headed to the local drag strip to watch a Ford drag race competition from everything from street cars to top fuel. Probably had to be the best day so far this year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm jealous. Sounds like you had a hell of a nice day!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You did Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm hoping for a similar experience with my dad this coming July when we have the family reunion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are making the transition from Parent - Child to a Parent - Grown up child relationship.

Hey, you are related. You might as well be friends too!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I love stories like these.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Mom's next?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#9]
There are lots of drag racers in Fl. now. Gatornationals coming up in a couple of weeks a lot of racers come down early to enjoy the nice weather this time of year. Not active in the sport myself but have always been a huge fan. Nothing like two 3000 HP fuel cars cranking it off at the same time.

Swamprat51  <-----  Garlits fan.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mom's next?

I will consider this as my life long mission, as that's how long it will probably take. She has nothing against people owning guns, but she just doesn't like to be near them. I tried, and will try some more until I get her to pull the trigger on something. Maybe I should start her off with a cheap airsoft.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#11]
That's awesome!!!   Treasure the time with your Dad.  Seriously, I would give almost anything to be able to spend another day with my dad.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top