Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:40:48 PM EDT

A Kansas City, Kan., family had to call a locksmith after thieves damaged a gun safe.

A Wyandotte County family spent most of the day worried that thieves had run off with its extensive gun collection.

Sara Bergerhofer's husband has a safe with high-powered rifles, handguns and shotguns. Burglars broke into the safe, damaging it so much that Bergerhofer couldn't open it again.

"You're angry and you're scared ... I got a real eerie feeling," Bergerhofer told KMBC's Martin Augustine. "I just hope that nobody gets hurt with any of these things, you know? And I just hope my husband can get his guns back, because he loves them dearly."

Bergerhofer's family was concerned about the weapons being loose on the city streets. Bergerhofer gave the TIPS Hotline an extra $500 in reward money, hoping to entice someone to call in with information about the weapons.

"It's scary, knowing the types of hands that they're probably in right now," Bergerhofer said.

What the family didn't know was how many guns were actually gone.

A locksmith was called to crack open the safe, and Bergerhofer's worries immediately disappeared when she found out that none of the weapons were missing.

"We went through all this trouble, all this headache and all this crying and what not, and we have our guns in here the whole time," Bergerhofer said.

Augustine reported that the burglars left the weapons, but they stole some jewelry that was stored in the safe.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/7760520/detail.html#

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a Browning with the FN scroll marks.

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
well they just advertised their gun collection, complete with their names, to the entire world.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
well they just advertised their former gun collection, complete with their names, to the entire world.

Fixed it for you.  It's now someone else's gun collection.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well they just advertised their former gun collection, complete with their names, to the entire world.

The theives left the guns, just stole the jewelry. That's what the article said anyway
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RIF
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The theives left the guns, just stole the jewelry. That's what the article said anyway

yeah, this time - however, now everyone in town knows they have a broken safe full of "dangerous guns."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]
So, where's the damage?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, this time - however, now everyone in town knows they have a broken safe full of "dangerous guns."

who knows, maybe the article was a plant by police and the property is now under surveilance 24/7.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So, where's the damage?

Looks untouched doesn't it ? I was thinking more along the lines that they always leave the thing open and then the thieves locked it back when they took the jewelry. Then they had to call the locksmith because no one knew the combo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
One would think it would be fairly easy to trade the jewelry for guns on the street.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Inside job.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is my thought.......

The burglar or burglars never got the safe open at all only damaged it trying to open it.  These guys are trying to scam the insurance company by saying jewelry was stolen.  If they got the safe open to steal jewelry, why would they close it?

I have never seen a burglar put a drawer back in a dresser they had pulled out or close a window they had opened and crawled through or put a screen back on a window they had taken off.

I believe the safe did its job.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The burglar or burglars never got the safe open at all only damaged it trying to open it.  These guys are trying to scam the insurance company by saying jewelry was stolen.  If they got the safe open to steal jewelry, why would they close it?

I have never seen a burglar put a drawer back in a dresser they had pulled out or close a window they had opened and crawled through or put a screen back on a window they had taken off.

insurance scam was my thought too.  the safe looks undamaged, and very sturdy.  how many days would it take to break into something like that without the proper tools?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree something is not kosher with the story.  Thieves would not leave guns behind.  Firearms are like instant cash, moreso than jewelry.

Doesn't add up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The combination lock looks like it's missing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]
 The pic shows no damage to a portion of the safe that would be heavily damaged if it had been broken into. It would also take days to hack open that safe and you had better have a saws all and a cutting torch. This story reeks od BS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The combination lock looks like it's missing.

Nope, it's all there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]
"Augustine reported that the burglars left the weapons, but they stole some jewelry that was stored in the safe."

He's the reporter, Bergerhofers are the homeowners.  Wouldn't be the first time a reporter fucked up the facts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Something isn't right with this story. Nothing adds up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Mayby the guns are all single shoot, and wheel guns?

Not gangster enough...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]
So where's the damage?  It's not impossible to cut into one of those safes (the same model I have - I liked the FN script and it fit in my place) - but I don't see any sign that it was cut into.  I think someone has a defective safe, and decided to cash in on their insurance policy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#22]
The dial is gone from the lock, if the criminals didn't know exactly what they were doing they would never have gotten in.

I had a Browning safe get beaten to hell and back, pryed on with a 4 ft bar, heated hinges and beaten more, dial and handle smashed off with an axle, then thrown on it's face and beaten some more.  The crooks never got in and it took a locksmith 3.5 hrs. to drill and open it.

It took 4 carbide bits, a template to drill the hole and time.

I don't think the got into that fancy safe this guy has.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#23]
No way that the jewelry was the only thing taken.  The guns, especially the handguns would be gone.

It definitely sounds more like an insurance scam, or family member (teens) wanting some quick cash.  Do they have a teenaged son by chance?  Inquiring minds want to know!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Inside job.

Antigun wife. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#25]
If it has a rack and pinion system to open the bolts with the large handle, it is what was probably damaged, and I agree, it was probably not entered.  They said jewelry was stolen to cover the cost of the locksmith, I bet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Cannon would PAY for the locksmith and this repair under warranty
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

insurance scam was my thought too.  the safe looks undamaged, and very sturdy.  how many days would it take to break into something like that without the proper tools?

You'd be surprised. Probably not very long if it's the type of safe I think it is. Sheet metal walls with drywall (aka fireboard) insualtion is pretty easy to peel through if you avoid the door completely...and have half a brain.

Fortunately, most criminals don't have half a brain and probably couldn't get into even that type of safe very quickly.

+1 on insurance scam though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#28]
If the dial is missing, the picture was probably taken after the locksmith opened it, I hope this story is a crock because I have the same safe and thought it would take a whole lot more damage to get into it. This story stinks of insurance fraud........
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:27:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Good lord.  The press is god damn awful.  If what was reported in the morning news was true the safe was never broken into.  They busted the handle to the door off but were never in the safe.  They stole jewelery that was in the bedroom and a handgun that was in a nightstand.  The safe did it's job but a locksmith had to be called to get it open.  The family had drilled a hole to peek inside and saw nothing then thought the guns were stolen.

The morning news said they had "assault style" weapons whatever the hell that means.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be surprised. Probably not very long if it's the type of safe I think it is. Sheet metal walls with drywall (aka fireboard) insualtion is pretty easy to peel through if you avoid the door completely...and have half a brain.
Fortunately, most criminals don't have half a brain and probably couldn't get into even that type of safe very quickly.

+1 on insurance scam though.

A fairly intelligent crew in Prescott Valley, Arizona did this very thing recently.....I say "fairly" because they brought along a "newbie" on their heist and he ended up ratting them out. Apparently stealing from working people didn't set too well with him....might be hope for that one, but I ain't holding my breath.  Last I heard, at least some of the wepons have been recovered.

Apparently, the safes ( yes, four of them, I believe )  were actually HAULED out of the house, trucked to remote location and peeled with torches and prybars.  The contents ( 167 guns total IIRC...rifles, shotguns, handguns, etc, ) were then subsequently removed.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Something isn't right with this story. Nothing adds up.

Yep.

What kind of thief breaks into a "locked" GUNsafe, leaves the guns, and then CLOSES and it again!???

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Scam. Nobody breaks into a gun safe and not steal guns.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Scam. Nobody breaks into a gun safe and not steal guns.

You're right.  Because nobody broke into the safe, because the reporter got this so F'd up it's hard to believe.  

Again.  They never got into the safe.  Nothing stolen was stolen from the safe.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Good lord.  The press is god damn awful.  If what was reported in the morning news was true the safe was never broken into.  They busted the handle to the door off but were never in the safe.  They stole jewelery that was in the bedroom and a handgun that was in a nightstand.  The safe did it's job but a locksmith had to be called to get it open.  The family had drilled a hole to peek inside and saw nothing then thought the guns were stolen.

The morning news said they had "assault style" weapons whatever the hell that means.

Bump.

Just to clarify your clarification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top