User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:14:54 PM EDT

Ripped off Rottentomatoes

Ultraviolet (2006)
preview by Gareth J. Von Kallenbach, Skiewed and Reviewed

Ultraviolet to be kept in the dark from Critics.
According to a publicity source, UltraViolet, the new Sci Fi action film starring Mila Jovovich is going the way of Aeon Flux and will not be screened for critics. It was recently confirmed to me that the big budget film will not have a press showing despite numerous ads for the film running during such high profile shows as American Idol.

The film deals with a futuristic society at odds with genetically enhanced members and the war that results between the various factions.

Based on recent trends such as "Date Movie" and "When a Stranger Calls" opening to good numbers despite not screening for critics, one has to wonder if the new trend in hollywood will be to keep many teen comedies, horror films, and certain action films from the critics in order to boost the box office, as recent events have shown that filsm can find an audience when not screened for the press which had largely been box office death.

Seems like the studio knows they have a turd on their hands, and hope to let it coast as long as they can before the inevitible tank.... I remember this movie when it was called Aeon Flux and Charlize Theron is INFINITELY hotter than Mila Jovovich.  Looks like Ultraviolet has nothing going for it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Although - isn't this by the director who made Equilibrium?

If so, I still have some hope
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
haven't seen it yet, but i will
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I will see it.. More than once probably.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ultraviolet (2006)

According to a publicity source, UltraViolet, the new Sci Fi action film starring Mila Jovovich is going the way of Aeon Flux and will not be screened for critics. It was recently confirmed to me that the big budget film will not have a press showing despite numerous ads for the film running during such high profile shows as American Idol.

The film deals with a futuristic society at odds with genetically enhanced members and the war that results between the various factions.

Based on recent trends such as "Date Movie" and "When a Stranger Calls" opening to good numbers despite not screening for critics, one has to wonder if the new trend in hollywood will be to keep many teen comedies, horror films, and certain action films from the critics in order to boost the box office, as recent events have shown that filsm can find an audience when not screened for the press which had largely been box office death.

Seems like the studio knows they have a turd on their hands, and hope to let it coast as long as they can before the inevitible tank.... I remember this movie when it was called Aeon Flux and Charlize Theron is INFINITELY hotter than Mila Jovovich.  Looks like Ultraviolet has nothing going for it.

Or maybe it's the fact that they know the critics who give movies like "Brokeback Mountain" five stars and two thumbs up won't like the movie and will keep people like us who like action flicks from going to see the movie.

Most of the movies I like got really shitty reviews from the critics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Seems like the studio knows they have a turd on their hands, and hope to let it coast as long as they can before the inevitible tank.... I remember this movie when it was called Aeon Flux and Charlize Theron is INFINITELY hotter than Mila Jovovich.

I disagree.

Leeloo: "Multipass"
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
It's got whatshernuts in it, so I'll probably get the DVD when it comes out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Damn straight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's got whatshernuts in it, so I'll probably get the DVD when it comes out.

+1.  I love the way that woman looks.  She was smoking hot in The Claim.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought Aeon Flux was pretty decent for what it was - 2 hours of entertainment.

Sci-Fi movies aren't really meant to make you cry, or present a political message - so all the critics hate them.  I actually wish a lot more movies would bypass the critics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

In sloooow motion
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Equallibruim so Im going to see this one
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In sloooow motion

And rewind a few times, and slow motion again.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sci-Fi movies aren't really meant to make you cry, or present a political message - so all the critics hate them.  I actually wish a lot more movies would bypass the critics.

No shit.

Starship Troopers was ROBBED at the Academy Awards.  

And the scary part is, I'm not even joking.  The fact that it lost to Titanic's obvious, static and clumsy CGI in the visual effects category was an outrage.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ultraviolet (2006)

That must be some high $$$ crack your smoking Charlize Theron is a dog and Mila is damn hot!!!
ETA Not only is Mila hot she loves guns. Im willing to be Charlize is a femnazi libtard hippie
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In sloooow motion

if you watch it slow enough, you MIGHT catch a hint of a possible titty on mila jovovich, but then again, slow motion doesnt create something out of nothing
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In sloooow motion

if you watch it slow enough, you MIGHT catch a hint of a possible titty on mila jovovich, but then again, slow motion doesnt create something out of nothing

Google is my friend for her being nekkid.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I love Mila to death, but she needs her some titties like I need more ammo.

And the scary part is, I'm not even joking. The fact that it lost to Titanic's obvious, static and clumsy CGI in the visual effects category was an outrage.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this. Starship Troopers really wasn't good, but it beat the hell out of Titanic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And the scary part is, I'm not even joking. The fact that it lost to Titanic's obvious, static and clumsy CGI in the visual effects category was an outrage.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this. Starship Troopers really wasn't good, but it beat the hell out of Titanic.

Undead was nearly better then Titanic
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Undead was nearly better then Titanic

And thats saying alot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

even when she's nekkid she still doesnt have much to offer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And thats your opinion. More bandwidth for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#22]
i'll post some nekkid pictues of her here, but i think pics of women who resemble little boys still violate the BOTD rules
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

even when she's nekkid she still doesnt have much to offer.[/quot<-- Removed …  --> by -brass-  @ 15:17 •• 3.4.06 Ref CoC<--Mila
<---Charlize
Case closed!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/245/714_theron.jpg<----Charlize  
vnexpress.net/Vietnam/Van-hoa/My-thuat/2005/04/3B9DDB85/28_mila.jpg<---Mila
Case closed!!!!!!!

Great, now the thread will get locked.  

Edit: You could have atleast used a good pic of Charlize. She was made to look like that in that shitty movie.  Also, BOTD pics, like that one of Mila, are not allowed in GD anymore.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seems like the studio knows they have a turd on their hands, and hope to let it coast as long as they can before the inevitible tank.... I remember this movie when it was called Aeon Flux and Charlize Theron is INFINITELY hotter than Mila Jovovich.

I disagree.

"Moolteepass"

"Yes, she knows it's a multipass."
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
IBTL

I might see it. I liked Equalibrium.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn straight.

pretty much
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I use the crittics to pick the movies I know I will like and they're usually the ones the critics hate!  The critics suck what a bs job they have.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#29]
IBTL. Equilibrium was a good movie, and Milla is a looker.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted: Or maybe it's the fact that they know the critics who give movies like "Brokeback Mountain" five stars and two thumbs up won't like the movie and will keep people like us who like action flicks from going to see the movie.

Same here.
I think you are right.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Call me sexist if you must, but action movies that always have women as the star/hero nearly always strike me as.....kinda cheesy. Part of it is the underlying feminist implications that may or may not (usually may) be present, another part is the inability of my inner self to completely reconcile with images of clean, fashionable, comparatively dainty/non-muscular women killing armed men by the dozen. The only exception to this rule I can think of is the "Aliens" movies. Weaver pulled off that role quite well (without any cheese). The lady from "The African Queen" did very well, too, but partly because she acted like a woman, not the feminist's idealistic man-slaying "she-male".

That said, I also generally dislike mindless action movies, especially the ones that are being produced recently ("The Transporter II", for example). Aeon Flux and (to a lesser extent) this movie looked like they sucked just from seeing the previews. I won't be going to it regardless of whether critics see it or not (which, IMHO, constitutes a bad sign).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I will be seeing it. I like Mila, action movies are good entertainment, and if done right can allow for the "suspension of reality" for the two hours to enjoy myself.

We aren't talking about "The Great Raid" here guys!  Futuristic "Sci-Fi Fantasy" movies are great entertainment (usually) when they are not trying to force an issue down your throat or stress you out over "political" issues, and if the effects are done decent, they are just plain FUN to watch.

And I agree with the idea that "professional critics" today are full of shit, they go to the movies for all the wrong reasons, tear apart movies that are "just for entertainment", and praise movies that the average person regrets paying good money to see.

No Expert
The last man in the U.S. who has not seen John Cameron's Titanic
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't need a critic to tell me that this film should have gone straight to the SciFi channel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I probably wont go see it until the 3rd week or so.

And as far as thread lockage goes, maybe a mod will move it to the Team Forum.  Charlize is hot, but Mila is above her in my book.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I think the movie looks pretty sweet.  I've been looking forward to it, I just hope they don't go overboard w/ really hokey action.  A quick behind the scenes thing made it look a little too over the top.  I'll lose interest in it pretty quickly if that's the case.  

Mila is hot though, she's my favorite action chick I think.  She did well enough in The 5th Element and the Resident Evil movies.  Aeon Flux looked just plain stupid, guess I should download it or something though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Ultraviolet (2006)

Seems like the studio knows they have a turd on their hands, and hope to let it coast as long as they can before the inevitible tank.... I remember this movie when it was called Aeon Flux and Charlize Theron is INFINITELY nothotter than Mila Jovovich.  Looks like Ultraviolet has nothing going for it.

fixed it for ya .
I don't know the previews look like mindless fun .
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Equilibrium was an awful movie.

I will get this one on DVD, because even with little bug bite tits, Mila is HOT.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#38]
BIIIIIIG BODDA BOOM
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Equilibrium sucked.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Police: Are you classified as human?
Korben Dallas: Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Milla may need a sammich or two... but she makes an excellent uber-chicklette for action films. If the 5th Element didn't prove this out, then the Resident Evil flicks should have settled the debate.

She's also done some singing/composing work according to her profile on IMDB.com. Is 4 years younger than my wife and is from the Ukraine. Same as my father.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

"Moolteepass"

"Yes, she knows it's a multipass."

Though I agree..Milo wins hands down, they screwed the pooch with the casting on Aeon Flux. Kate Nauta would have foot that bill perfect. She is the skinny thing from Transporter 2.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#43]
I must be the only one who hated "the 5th element" too.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Yep...  

I wouldn't let it worry you... I'm still the only person I know that will fess up to actually enjoying Hudson Hawk.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#45]
The Resident Evil flicks were awful.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I havnt seen a Mila Jovovich movie that i HAVN'T hated.  This movie will be no exception, but I have no intent of forking over MORE of my hard earned ammo budget to support crap like this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Equilibrium sucked.

BLASPHEMY!!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No, you're not. It sucked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top