Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 4:32:13 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting and becoming familiar with a GPS unit. This looks like good practice and a little fun at the same time.

www.geocaching.com/

Anyone take part in this?

Have a good one!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking at getting and becoming familiar with a GPS unit. This looks like good practice and a little fun at the same time.

www.geocaching.com/

Anyone take part in this?

Have a good one!

It is a good excuse to go for a hike, exspecially with kids.  Bring a map and compass so that you can teach old scool to them as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it near anything .gov or you might get some unwanted attention.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been playing for a couple of years, my kids love it. Once you get started, you find your self wanting to play all the time.

Kids like to do the trade thing, so I take them to look for traditional sized hides. I enjoy looking for micros.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't do it near anything .gov or you might get some unwanted attention.

I live near Area 51...are there any precautions you can recomend?

Taffy
Tin foil hat is secure

ETA
I'm impressed with our local geo/cache-sites that are wheelchair accesible.
Everyone can enjoy the fun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I found it boring after 4 or 5 caches. You will need a magnetic compass, too. At walking speeds the GPS will tell you what direction to go but not actually point out that direction for you very well. Some of the high end GPS units have a built in electronic magnetic compass.

aa
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been doing it for a couple of years and have a little over 300 finds. Some caches take you to some pretty interesting places and you might even learn something. Others are just magnetic key holder stuck on stop signs. Not a bad way to spend some free time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I goto that site just to learn about new trails for biking and skiing.  Here's a few pics-

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top