Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 3:35:12 PM EDT
I need a suit for interviews, I'm about to graduate.

Are they worth it?  Or is there another brand that is better.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't beat Mens Wearhouse.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Men's Warehouse.

Reasonable suits for reasonable money. Tell them you want an interview suit(s), and how much you're looking to spend. They do the rest.

ETA: 14 seconds!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I despire Mens Warehouse, S&K, Suit Barn, or any other such place.

They will sell you an ill-fitting piece of trash, but since you don't know better, you'll think you got a deal.  Then they will charge you for a ton of alterations and it still won't fit.  

Go to Banks, catch one of thier 'cheap' suits on sale.  NEVER buy anything from them at full price.  They run a sale every other week it seems.  If what you want isn't on sale, just wait, it will be.

You should be able to get a decent, conservative, suit for $150-200, or maybe a suit and two pairs of pants for $200-250.  

Get a charcoal or bankers grey suit.  These are the most conservative, most boring, and least memorable.   That way, when you wear it again a few days later but with another tie, no one will realize that you only have one suit.

Navy is also an acceptable color, but cheap navy suits look...cheap.  Charcoal or grey always look dull.  

I don't have an AR15 but I do have 10 suits, 3 blazers, and 3 sportcoats.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]

I like their stuff, but $$$.

How much did you spend on your education?  Don't get upset over $100 difference in suits.

Get what looks best and says "I won't surf ARFCOM at work if you hire me"

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They will sell you an ill-fitting piece of trash, but since you don't know better, you'll think you got a deal.  Then they will charge you for a ton of alterations and it still won't fit.  

Go to Banks, catch one of thier 'cheap' suits on sale.  NEVER buy anything from them at full price.  They run a sale every other week it seems.  If what you want isn't on sale, just wait, it will be.

You should be able to get a decent, conservative, suit for $150-200, or maybe a suit and two pairs of pants for $200-250.  

Get a charcoal or bankers grey suit.  These are the most conservative, most boring, and least memorable.   That way, when you wear it again a few days later but with another tie, no one will realize that you only have one suit.

Navy is also an acceptable color, but cheap navy suits look...cheap.  Charcoal or grey always look dull.  

Wow, you must work there or something.  The guy recommended just that a grey suit for an interview.  And he said that he would give me 50% off the price.  So after reaading your post I'm pretty sure I'll pull the trigger tomorrow.

I liked your last line, kinda like the "i stayed at a Holiday Inn Express Last night"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I like their stuff, but $$$.

How much did you spend on your education?  Don't get upset over $100 difference in suits.

Get what looks best and says "I won't surf ARFCOM at work if you hire me"

Maybe I can slip in an 87 into one of the answers
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Suits from Banks are nice, they know what they are doing and they wil take good care of you. Shirts are pricy, but well worth.

I get a full break in all my pants, Banks is a little too conservative and They usually dont get it right or enough for my tastes, but they get it done.

Suit Warehouse's and other such places are going to sell you crap at a great price for crap.

Might as well go to wal-mart or k-mart to look for suits and shirts.

Bachrach has great suits as well, they usually have a wall of for sale suits that will blow your socks off on how cheap they are.

I have a few AR's and other guns, about 15 suits, and I dont sleep in Holiday Inn's.

Good luck with the interview. Keep in mind, if you are not used to wearing suits, you will think ANY suit looks good on you.....

www.bachrach.com/
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Keep in mind, if you are not used to wearing suits, you will think ANY suit looks good on you.....

I never thought about that either, wise words.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, you must work there or something.  The guy recommended just that a grey suit for an interview.  And he said that he would give me 50% off the price.  So after reaading your post I'm pretty sure I'll pull the trigger tomorrow.

I liked your last line, kinda like the "i stayed at a Holiday Inn Express Last night"

Nope, don't work there, probably know more about suits than almost anyone who does too.  Just like the ppl from this forum know more than the guys at the gun store, and ppl who love cars know more than car salesmen.  

www.josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1000&pcount=&Product_Id=311057

That is probably pretty close to it, but in another color.  

Look around thier website some.  I'm pretty sure that the stores will match any price on in-stock stuff if you print off the page.

If you buy a two button, only button the top button.  If you buy a 3 button, the top two or only the middle (I prefer only the middle).  Someone tried to sell me a $1000 suit last weekend and he had all three buttoned, and wasn't wearing a necktie (making me wonder if he could even tie one).  I declined...

When you're trying on pants, remember that suit pants should be worn at your waist, not your hips.  They are made that way and it creates all sorts of problems when you want to wear them like jeans.

You can tie a tie, right?  If not, then that is next.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Jos A. Banks are good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Joseph A.  Bank... suits are very well made and worth the money. You can't go wrong .
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Have a look at Brooks Brothers. They're actually not that expensive, and their quality can't be beat.

BrooksEase Separates
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Have a look at Brooks Brothers. They're actually not that expensive, and their quality can't be beat.

Thumbs up.

I like the conservative cut and style on BB suits.  I had the hookup.  A buddy worked in accounting for a company that made BB suits, then BB slapped their brand label on them.

Through him I was able to buy BB suits at over 50% off since I got them with the manufacturer's tag not the BB tag.  Same damn nice suit though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

OK, I don't NEED a suit for anything but weddings and funerals per se but I'd like a nice navy suit.  What about the shoes?  What's the best color with navy and does it really matter if its lace up or slip on?  I think I can handle the shirt end of things with the wife's help, of course...

Does that wool suit look OK for So. California, where it's a bit warmer than most places?  I have a Jos. Banks just a mile away and it looked sort of interesting, like a poor man's Brooke's Brothers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good luck with the interview. Keep in mind, if you are not used to wearing suits, you will think ANY suit looks STUPID on you.....

Joseph A. Bank gave me crappy service.

I never wear suits, so every suit looks stupid and feels like I'm wearing womens clothes. Joseph A. Bank did nothing to help me decide what looked good or to explain this to me, I got frustrated and left.

Mens Wearhouse pandered to me, explaining everything, showing me the differences and I feel giving me a good deal on what I bought. Plus the service deal and the fact that they are all over the place just in case I need something done.

eh, WTF do I care, it's a fucking suit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Brooks Brothers has always made some of the finest clothes out there, but I wouldn't consider them "not that expensive".

Clothes is definitely someplace where you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Never bought anything from Jos. A. Bank.

I've had good luck with Men's Warehouse.  Cheaper quality stuff, but still plenty decent.  Excellent service.

I'll do Brooks Brothers when it absolutely has to be right.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
A large part of my work/stuff I actually wear wardrobe is from Brooks.  Usually not what I recommend to the "weddings and funerals" or college interview folks though.

And I agree, shine your shoes!  With as many Marines as there are on this forum, there's no excuse for you not to have a mirror polish
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Go to Men's Warehouse.

Reasonable suits for reasonable money. Tell them you want an interview suit(s), and how much you're looking to spend. They do the rest.

ETA: 14 seconds!

yep
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Men's Wearhouse is like the TJ Max or Marshalls of suits.

Jos Bank is plenty respectable for work, interviews, weddings, etc.

As someone who worked in finance for about a decade (where wearing good-looking suits is required 5x a week) I say go with Jos Bank.

I have probably 8 Banks suits, 2 BB suits, and a few of various random brands.

Glad I don't have to wear them anymore.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
What is a suit? Have two sportcoats and that's all
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a big fan of Joe Banks, and largely for their shirts. I take a size 18x36, so the department store shirts don't work for me, whereas Banks' shirts fit me perfectly. That said, the quality has slipped over the years a tad, in my opinion (too many made in Malaysia, Pakistan, Singapore, or wherever).

Men's Wearhouse used to be an absolute dump and a disgrace. That was about twenty years ago, and I believe they've done a complete 180 in that time. Many of their suits are from top brands, just last year's styles or some such thing. The service I've received in one nearby to me has been excellent, and I consider them a great bang for the buck.

Brooks Brothers-the best, or if in Houston, Norton Ditto.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
You might also want to visit your local Nordstrom. While not the cheapest place in the world, their customer service is, quite literally, legendary. They have all kinds of brands and price ranges, from $300 to $3,000 per suit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear a suit every work day- J A Banks suits are fine- I have 4  and they are very durable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Two words, my son: leisure suit.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

BrooksEase Separates

+1  And they sometimes have good deals at Brooks Brother's outlet (but the outlet will not do alterations, last time I checked).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I need a suit for interviews, I'm about to graduate.

Are they worth it?  Or is there another brand that is better.

Suits come in different quality even from the same maker.

Joseph A. Bank's high end suits are VEEEERY NICE. Better quality and materials than Armanis and other labels that are expensive just because of the fame of the name. Banks' suits are quality stuff. Even their sale priced suits are great. The last time I was in a JAB store they had a Super 1000 suit on sale for 300. But sadly it wasn't my size.....(I am a weird size....)

The chain type stores can be very good, or very bad depending on who their staff is. The local ones here are pretty good.

You CAN buy very nice suits at Men's Warehouse.....If you already know the difference between a good suit and a bad one.

If you don't know what a Super 1000 is, then I suggest doing some research before going to buy a suit of any kind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#28]
If you want to look like a $7/hour security guard, shop at Men's Wearhouse.  

Suits are not something you want to go Wal-Mart on.  

You get what you pay for in quality in construction, assistance with getting the proper cut for your body type, and alterations.  

Don't go cheap, especially if you are only buying one suit for weddings and funerals.  It makes more sense to buy a really nice, quality suit if you are only buying one, than if you need 10 for daily wear.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you want to look like a $7/hour security guard, shop at Men's Wearhouse.  

I have to disagree.

You CAN get a good suit at Men's Warehouse and you CAN get it fitted properly if the store you go to has competent people.

They DO sell some quality suits at good prices every now and then. Like anything, you have to be selective.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Have a look at Brooks Brothers.

Their no iron shirts are the best out there.  I bought three of them at their outlet in TN eight years ago, and they looked good for over three years of use wearing each one about once a week.  Great shirts.

JC Penny's here is probably the best cheaper place to go.  They always have very good salesmen that are 60 or older and have been in the business for 20+ years.  Also, their tailors are are all women that look like they've done the work for decades.  They have a nice selection, and they can get the suit tailored very well.  A cheaper suit that fits will almost always look much better than a more expensive suit that doesn't.  Of course your Penny's may not be as nice, but the one here has always done a good job.z
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I like Hugo Boss.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I feel sorry for you guys that have to wear a suit to work.

I'm sitting here working in a carhartt t-shirt with powdered sugar stains on the front, some very worn sweat pants, and some sperry top siders.

Telecommuting rocks!  

Actually,......... I kinda hate it and miss being in an office environment  

Call me the bipolar telecommuter...just don't call me late for dinner...

Now...this guy is a fashion GOD!  can't go wrong if you take his advice!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Suits are not something you want to go Wal-Mart on.

Damn straight!

It's nothing but Goodwill for THIS fashion plate!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I wore Jos A. Bank suits from about '93-'04.  I never had one I really liked.  During that time, I also wore Corbin and Hart Schaffner & Marx.  I loved Corbin, but they are hard to find.  Now I mostly wear HSM, and Southwick.  They are significantly more expensive than Jos A. Bank, but the difference in quality far exceeds the difference in price.  These suits hold up MUCH better and will last MUCH longer which in a way, closes that price difference.  I also like Oxxford and H. Freeman, but they are very expensive.  Bank will be fine starting out if your budget is limited.  I can't speak for Men's Wearhouse, but I would definitely compare it to Bank.

While we're on the subject, good quality shoes are just as important.  I only wear and recommend Allen Edmonds and Alden shoes.  They are expensive, but compared to all other dress shoes, they are worth it if you spend any time on your feet.  Also, don't skimp on ties.  Nothing looks worse to me in the professional world than cheap ties.  I like Robert Talbot the best, but XMI is nice.  I know it sounds harsh or snobby, but I would stay away from a tie less than $50.00.  $65-$100 is the norm for good ties.  

So...to recap:  You will probably find a good price on suits at Men's Wearhouse or Jos A. Bank.  Buy good shoes and good ties.

BTW, what field are you trying to break in to?

Blake
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok guys, here's the hookup....

When checking out at Jos Bank, tell them that you work for Bank One and ask for their corporate discount. Pretend like you can't find your card in you wallet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Ummm...if you just join their corporate card, you get an automatic 20% off.  No need to tell them you work for anyone....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Men's Warehouse sucks.  Banks is good stuff.  I've been shopping there for ten years and I've lost track of how many suits, shirts, jackets, and trousers I've bought there.  I've tried BB as well, and I prefer Banks.  I am not convinced BB is really any better and they have a limited selection of sizes.

The best advice I can offer a guy graduating, buy a copy of John Malloy's Dress for Success.   It will tell you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Banks is all I've ever owned.  Never paid full-price for one yet and usually got a couple at a time for their discounts offered.  Yes, shirts are a bit high, but will outlast all the others IMO.   I've also never had a problem asking them what 'worked' and didn't.  Most of the time I just pointed to a manaquin (sp?) and said I want that in my size.  Makes it easy - Tie and all...
YMMV
~m
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Suits should be Armani or maybe Hugo Boss.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Ummm...if you just join their corporate card, you get an automatic 20% off.  No need to tell them you work for anyone....

Bank One gets 25%, plus it applies to everything in the store.

regular corp card is limited, and can't apply to sale items IIRC
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought all of my suits, sportcoats, and business casual apparel there before I headed to War College.  Great stuff.  Very comfy, good quality, etc.  Not quite the fit that I had from tailor made garments in Hong Kong and Singapore, but I am very happy with my purchases.

I shopped at 3 separate stores, Virginia Beach, Alexandria, and Warwick, RI and received outstanding service at all 3.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Once in a while Macy's has sales on their suits, and you might get a CK or Hugo Boss on the cheap if you use their coupons and store credit card discount.  Even cheaper if you go with lower end brands like INC, which has pretty good quality.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Their commercials make me change the radio station.  Ugh...I cringe when I hear that announcer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#44]
If this is your first suit, then get one tailored, dont get one off the rack because you wont know how its supposed to fit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top