Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 9:19:53 PM EDT

(I've never started a Wal-Mart ammo thread before... should I feel dirty?)

Anyway, I hit the local Wal-Mart ammo counter at about 11:00 PM.  Have to find an employee wandering the store to get someone with a key over there.

Me: "I'll take all of your Winchester 45 Auto 100-round value packs."  (there were 8)

Him:  "You're not going to shoot me, are ya?"

The guy's filament wasn't glowing too brightly, so I couldn't really be too annoyed with him.  I think he's doing well to be lighting his own path through life, given his apparent natural resources.

Me (chuckling): "...and all of your Winchester 9mm 100-round value packs."  (there were 8)

They trusted him with the key, but not with cash register authority, apparently, as we were off to find a hippy in Electronics (ya know, where the heart is) to ring it up.  His only comments was an expression of annoyance at the register for making him answer the handgun / over 21 question 16 times.

Next I got 10 quarts of motor oil, some spray paint, a surge protector, and a case of Diet Mountain Dew, and went through the checkout at the front.

Then, I got to the receipt checker...

To be continued...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

To be continued...

Just kidding!

Nobody asked to see my receipt on the way out.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"Not if you hurry up, sonny."

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Frankly I've never really had a problem with the ammo counter. I get weird looks when I buy massive amounts of ammo but this is south LA, if don't a gun...well, your fucked
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Whenever I buy ammo from walmart, I go in as a new character each time. Last time I was Clint Eastwood. Walked up with a half smoked hand rolled cig in my mouth, squinting, talking in a low and raspy voice trying to be witty. Its lots of fun to fuck with people at Walmart.

I think next time, i'm going to dress in fatigues, boots, and a beret and use this Militia ID I made in photoshop and a laminator.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not necessarily that they don't trust him to run a register. They generally shut down the outlying registers between 10 and 11, except Electronics since there should be an associate there 24 hours a day.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I go to two different wal-marts and both of them have real nice older gents working there. They ask me how much I want, I say everything of .223 wwb and .45 wwb they take all the boxes off the shelf and then check stock in the back for me.

Now, the store close to where I live gives me weird looks if I order more than one box. I dont really buy ammo at that store anymore since they almost never have .223.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You: "I hadn't planned to..."

Always keep them guessing.  You don't threaten him in the least and you still might scare the shit out of him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Frankly I've never really had a problem with the ammo counter.

only problem I've had is them being out of the 40rnd Winchester white box since before xmas.  THat and Lynn - the weekend guy - he's a nightmare to get at the register - there for hours.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The guy that runs the counter at the walmart I shop at is a bigger gun nut than me. He called me at home one time to let me know more WWB .223 came in and he would split it with me and I don't even know this guys name.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought 1000 rounds of the WWB .45ACP this fall. The guy didn't even bat an eye.
I had to pay for it at the gun counter though. Any other locations have this policy?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to go stock up on .45 last friday after I got paid but it was all sold out, the guy at the counter said someone came in the day before and bought it all.

I bet someone here beat me to it.

I had to make due with what I had when I went shooting over the weekend.

After I finished shooting I realized that there was another walmart near where the range was, and I bought the last 3 boxes that they had.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
At the walmarts around here you have to tell them "left, right, up, etc."  All this while they move there hand around looking for 9MM.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The guy's filament wasn't glowing too brightly, so I couldn't really be too annoyed with him.  I think he's doing well to be lighting his own path through life, given his apparent natural resources.

This is going to get good.   Last time I got ammo there they foolishly left a hot chick back there who had no gun experience, but a good attitude.  She said she was new back there and to be patient with her.   I asked for the WWB of .38 (I had some .22 ammo at home) and she asked "was this for a big gun".   Option A Statement out of my month was immediately changed as I was not in a place that gave the girl dollar bills after she talked to you, so I went with Option B.

Option B was to explain what different ammo was for.  Had I been a few years younger, without a wife that can shoot, I would have more than likely had a potential "one of us" girls.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
At the walmarts around here you have to tell them "left, right, up, etc."  All this while they move there hand around looking for 9MM.

I had to tell this guy "left... no, left is the other way..."

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't shop at Wal-Mart, place creeps me out.
Neither do I use Winchester ammo, I had a round of .45 WWB blow up in my SA GI 1911 a few years ago...
Didn't do any damage to the gun as far as I could tell, but it did blow the bottom of the mag out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:16:04 AM EDT
[#16]
The Wal-Mart in my town won't sell any ammo between 10 PM and 7 AM.  They claim
there is a chance of me buying ammo, heading to the car, loading the gun,
and coming back in to rob the place.  I failed to explain to the guy my firearm
was already loaded!  The bitch behind the counter would not understand that at
all.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I bought 1000 rounds of the WWB .45ACP this fall. The guy didn't even bat an eye.
I had to pay for it at the gun counter though. Any other locations have this policy?

Like that here as well.

This is what I get a kick out of.

Him: Are these for a handgun or rifle?

Me: Subgun.

Him: OK

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I always get this person.  It's only with 45 though.  I usually say I need 4 boxes of 45 in WWB.  She then says "What kind of .45?"
My reply - "Do you have 45 Long Colt?"
Her - "No."
Me - "How about 45 GAP?"
Her - "No."
Me - "How about the ACP?"
Her - "Yeah - I have that one."

Really lady, 45 ACP is the only thing that you carry.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:43:44 AM EDT
[#19]

"You're not going to shoot me, are ya?"

"Not by accident."
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#20]

I always pay for the ammo at the ammo counter.  Haven't asked if it's official policy but I figure if somebody has to uncase it there, they'll want to sell it there.  Hasn't bothered me.  Besides, I figure it lessens the chance that a cashier at the front will have a question for which they need to page the ammo counter guy.

Quoted:
The Wal-Mart in my town won't sell any ammo between 10 PM and 7 AM.  They claim
there is a chance of me buying ammo, heading to the car, loading the gun,
and coming back in to rob the place.  I failed to explain to the guy my firearm
was already loaded!  The bitch behind the counter would not understand that at
all.  

[sarcasm] Well, obviously, it would be impossible for someone to do that at 9:30 PM.  [/sarcasm]

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The guy that runs the counter at the walmart I shop at is a bigger gun nut than me. He called me at home one time to let me know more WWB .223 came in and he would split it with me and I don't even know this guys name.

What's his ARFCOM screen name?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Anyway, I hit the local Wal-Mart ammo counter at about 11:00 PM.  Have to find an employee wandering the store to get someone with a key over there.

Me: "I'll take all of your Winchester 45 Auto 100-round value packs."  (there were 8)

Me (chuckling): "...and all of your Winchester 9mm 100-round value packs."  (there were 8)

They trusted him with the key, but not with cash register authority, apparently, as we were off to find a hippy in Electronics (ya know, where the heart is) to ring it up.  His only comments was an expression of annoyance at the register for making him answer the handgun / over 21 question 16 times.

Next I got 10 quarts of motor oil, some spray paint, a surge protector, and a case of Diet Mountain Dew, and went through the checkout at the front.

To be continued...

Ask for the manager- immediately- when this shit happens. Demand an apology from the asshat with the manager present. (Get your ammo for free, too) People will only say things such as what he said only if they think there are no negative consequences.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Him: Are these for a handgun or rifle?

Wonder how they would react if you simply said "no".

Nobody ever said you had to use ammo, did they?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be continued...

Ask for the manager- immediately- when this shit happens. Demand an apology from the asshat with the manager present. (Get your ammo for free, too) People will only say things such as what he said only if they think there are no negative consequences.

The guy was actually very friendly, just not too polished with the social interaction stuff.  I wasn't gonna grill him over something that he said with no ill intent.  He even called over to someone stocking shelves to get a big box to put the ammo in.  When someone is trying to be friendly, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, even if the words they choose are not the words I would have chosen.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#25]

The guy was actually very friendly, just not too polished with the social interaction stuff.  I wasn't gonna grill him over something that he said with no ill intent.  He even called over to someone stocking shelves to get a big box to put the ammo in.  When someone is trying to be friendly, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, even if the words they choose are not the words I would have chosen.

Are you trying to get kicked off the site?

A true ARFCOMER would've snapped the punk's neck, and, then, maced the
geriatric at the door checking reciepts.

Showing people courtesy and, respect is NOT the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#26]
WWB 9mm 100 packs is where the action is. I used to buy a lot of the 40 rd. .223 too, but it has been in short supply, just as it has everywhere else pretty much.

I have a side note. How many calibers do they ask if it is for rifle or handgun? I'm pretty sure I have bought .38 there and they asked if I was 21, but that was it. Or so I thought. Anyone ever pay attention to that? I mean 9mm could go through a carbine, so do they buy "it's for a rifle" on 9mm, or tell you tough titty? Like I said, I've never had a problem really, I just was curious.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Same here ... My local Wally World is right on the Massachusetts border though, and I guess they have some kind of policy whereby if it's a Mass resident they need to see that resident's FID or LTC card, so I guess they check you out at the gun counter since the regular cashiers might not know that.

They do ask to see your license, but only to verify if you're an NH resident or a Mass resident. They're always really nervous about asking to see the license because I'm sure a few locals have jumped down their throats about it ... I usually just pull my license out enough so they can see that it's a NH license, and they're fine with that ... No real problems ever, they're pretty good guys there. You can tell they don't want to do the license check and are always apologetic about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Last time I bought ammo at Walmart, I told them I wanted .45 ACP. The Gun Counter-Monkey said they were out, but had .45 Auto... sigh.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#29]
ALways have to pay at the ammo counter for anything gun related up here.  I also have to do the left, right, up down thing.

Interesting story though.  Last time I was in there they were all out fo the WWB so I bought the Remington that was closest in price.  "
"How much do you have?"
"A lot"
"How much isa lot"
starts counting: "about 12 boxes"
"That's not a lot...I'll take all of it"
I got the most grotesque look ever from this chick and she had to go get someone else to open the case.  
"I'll aklso take 3 boxes of you 100 rnd Smith and Wesson .40cal please"
"Are you serious?"
"Yes...Yes I am."

So I am paying and this guy comes up and says
"you buyin all that?"
"uh.huh"
"I should give you my number"
"oookkkaaayyyyyy"
"No seriously, I should give you my number"
"and why is that?"
"I have a ton of this stuff at my house and I don't want it"

Turns out this guy has a bunch of AR stuff and we are now working on a deal for me to buy it.  The strangest things happen at walmart......
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#30]
The local WallyWorld here has been out of the WWB .223 since last Nov.'s ARFcom ammo buy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It reminds of what a black comedian said back in the 1960s regarding racism: "Whether it's Southern with a snarl, or Northern with a smile, it's still racism." The message is still the same, no matter how nice the delivery.

Why is it OK for clueless employees to think they can insult certain segments of the customer base? Do you think this guy would last a minute if he asked a woman why she's buying Tampax or Kotex in bulk? Or how about if a black person is buying a bunch of watermelons? Why do we gunowners have to expect to put up with this crap?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

"Not with 1,600 rounds of .45 Auto."  "I'll take another 1,600 rounds of 9mm."  "3,200 rounds going through your stupid ass should kill 'ya."    

Make sure you get out of the store before the cops arrive.  

P.S.  That had to be heavy as hell.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Not with 1,600 rounds of .45 Auto."  "I'll take another 1,600 rounds of 9mm."  "3,200 rounds going through your stupid ass should kill 'ya."    

Make sure you get out of the store before the cops arrive.  

P.S.  That had to be heavy as hell.  

800 rounds of each; 1600 rounds total.

Heavy enough...

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It reminds of what a black comedian said back in the 1960s regarding racism: "Whether it's Southern with a snarl, or Northern with a smile, it's still racism." The message is still the same, no matter how nice the delivery.

Why is it OK for clueless employees to think they can insult certain segments of the customer base? Do you think this guy would last a minute if he asked a woman why she's buying Tampax or Kotex in bulk? Or how about if a black person is buying a bunch of watermelons? Why do we gunowners have to expect to put up with this crap?

Your point is taken.....However...

The way to combat ignorance (at best) or antipathy (at worst) is to act
in a manner they don't expect.

Calm, courteous, and respectful.

I'd actually have answered; "Nope, not planning on it!"
and smiled as well.

I'm more upset about un-manned checkout counters than some
dude being stupid at the ammo counter.

We might also try reacting to said situations by saying ; "Nope, I'm going to the range
to shoot some targets.  It's alot of fun.  Would you like to come help me shoot this stuff up?"

Instead of screaming like a moonbat to the manager about a precieved slight to our Chuck Norris like egos, we might actually get someone who's just gun-ignorant on our side once he
sees guns actually only go bang when you pull the trigger, and, they don't load themselves.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone here had the idea of using a lazer pointer,  I have done it and it works awesome  it does piss off the help
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought a few boxes of 223WinFMJ's one day and the sporting goods manager was there. She commented on how it was a popular seller. I explained how at times there seems to be a shortage on it, hard to get, etc. She said "This is WalMart, I can get whatever you want." Had 1000rds waiting for me by the end of the week. Now I just place orders, and pickup....

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#37]
How much is the value pack .45 and .40 in Wally World?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#38]
The Wal-Marts I've been to here in OK had me purchase all ammunition at the gun counter.  I actually don't mind paying at the counter since there is rarely a line.  Plus, they're at least a little more gun friendly and don't give me weird looks.

I was hoping to show my receipt to the receipt checker after the Nov 19 ammo buy, but they didnt even ask.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#39]
.40 runs about 14 and change for 100 rnds and I think the .45 is 19 and change.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I had some bitch try and stall saying that it was too early to buy ammo, I had to wait half hour until 0800 to buy any.  So I waited (I was shooting IPSC that day, no ammo).  At eight I prompted her again, she tried to tell me it wouldn't work; anyway she finally sold the shit to me.  Even if rules were rules, she tried to discourage the deal the whole way.  Still, most Walmart experiences are good, except for the one in Mechanicsville by Richmond.  Its the only ghetto Walmart I have ever been too, never bought ammo there yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
ALways have to pay at the ammo counter for anything gun related up here.  I also have to do the left, right, up down thing.

Interesting story though.  Last time I was in there they were all out fo the WWB so I bought the Remington that was closest in price.  "
"How much do you have?"
"A lot"
"How much isa lot"
I got the most grotesque look ever from this chick and she had to go get someone else to open the case.  
"Are you serious?"
"Yes...Yes I am."

"you buyin all that?"
"uh.huh"
"oookkkaaayyyyyy"
"and why is that?"

Turns out this guy has a bunch of AR stuff and we are now working on a deal for me to buy it.  The strangest things happen at walmart......

THis has to be BS, there is no one that would say this!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

"How much do you have?"
"A lot"
"How much isa lot"
"Are you serious?"
"Yes...Yes I am."

"you buyin all that?"
"uh.huh"
"oookkkaaayyyyyy"
"and why is that?"

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Next time, I would advise adding a machete, ski mask and duct tape to your ammo orders....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO, yer OTHER left!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#46]
From now on, when they ask me if my ammo is for a handgun or rifle, I'm always going to respond with "machine gun".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#47]
+1 to that machine gun comment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top