Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 4:57:13 PM EDT
What is the differance between small rifle & small pistol primers?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I would NOT change them out for another. It's not like they cost that much
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
some people do use rifle primers in magnum pistol loads, it is safe to do as long as you work your loads up slowly while watching for over pressure.
the only real way that is safe is to use rifle in pistol not the other way around. the rifle primers are a little thicker, so weak firing pin hits can cause misfires, where as a pistol primer in a rifle might blow out the primer
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thickness. Don't substitute small rifle primers for small pistol primers. You'll end up with high primers.

The 454 Casull (pistol) uses small rifle primers but that is the way that the cases were originally designed. Dick felt like the smaller primer hole would add strength to the case while using rifle primers would add enough spark to fire the big charges off.

No charge for that extra irrelevant info.

edited to add: I just got through measuring magnum rifle and magnum pistol primers. Magnum Large Rifle primer thickness is 0.125" and Magnum Large Pistol primer thickness is 0.120". Sorry, I don't have any Small pistol primers to measure so I didn't bother measuring the Small Rifle primers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the differance between small rifle & small pistol primers?

One is for rifle cartridges and one is for pistol cartridges. Oh yea-I wouldn't switch them,just to see if it will work.
Top Top